The years is half over and I haven't seen an open carrier yet

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

JohnS-TX
Posts in topic: 1

Re: The years is half over and I haven't seen an open carrier yet

Post by JohnS-TX »

I also have yet to see another OC person and I'm on the look-out.

About a month ago I was walking through a Conroe neighborhood OCing a full size 1911 and was stopped by a Constable. He wanted to congratulate me on being the first OC that he had seen. I'm sure he is on the look-out for OC.

I didn't think I'd see many OCing, but I'm surprised that I haven't seen any.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Oldgringo »

Bruin98 wrote:Saw a biker on Jan 1 coming out of Target in Frisco. He was walking out. I was walking in.

I've seen two at Academy in Garland on separate occasions. One had two boys under 10 with him.

Saw a 50/60 year old man at a pizza place in Athens.

Nobody seemed to be scared on all three occasions. Pizza place was most crowded of three.

I've OCd three times just to do it. Manager at Jack in Box seemed a little nervous but didn't say anything. I saw him look right at it.

Nobody said anything my second time.

Carried at my son's last little league game. He said it freaked the other teams coach out.
Hmmm, I'm not looking for all of the wannabee lawyer's opinions but I question the wisdom of OCing at little league activities. Just sayin'...

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 3

Post by crazy2medic »

I have OC'd all day yesterday and today nobody seems to notice or care, I had one guy holler at me "free in Texas" and wave. I have seen two guys OC in springtown, one in lake worth, and one in cleburne, as the weather gets warmer I think we'll see alot more OC going on!
I wear a xl t-shirt when I CC and when I OC I just tuck my shirt in and if I need to CC all I need to do is untuck and cover!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Bruin98
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bruin98 »

Oldgringo wrote:
Bruin98 wrote:Saw a biker on Jan 1 coming out of Target in Frisco. He was walking out. I was walking in.

I've seen two at Academy in Garland on separate occasions. One had two boys under 10 with him.

Saw a 50/60 year old man at a pizza place in Athens.

Nobody seemed to be scared on all three occasions. Pizza place was most crowded of three.

I've OCd three times just to do it. Manager at Jack in Box seemed a little nervous but didn't say anything. I saw him look right at it.

Nobody said anything my second time.

Carried at my son's last little league game. He said it freaked the other teams coach out.
Hmmm, I'm not looking for all of the wannabee lawyer's opinions but I question the wisdom of OCing at little league activities. Just sayin'...
Weve been in this particular league for over 10 years with 3 different kids. The only people who didnt know me were the out of town opponents. They all know I carry because a neighborhood punk shot me at this particular field with a pellet gun 2 years back. Ive always ccd, but since this was our last game there forever, i figured wth.

I stood next to a uniformed police officer for most of the game. Rest assured it was legal.

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

I have not witnessed anyone OC to date, which does surprise me.
Since I CC, I'm always looking for others that CC (printing), so it's not like I am not paying attention.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I haven't seen anyone else OCing, but I've done it. About 95% of the time, nobody seems to notice. The few times I saw someone noticing, you could see their attention drawn to my waist, then look in my eyes, then look away.......and that's about it. Only twice has anyone said anythign to me, and in both cases it was positive affirmation. I've had no obviously negative reactions. But also, I only OC 1/2 the time or less.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jkurtz

Post by jkurtz »

I have seen two open carriers, both in Fort Worth. One was at Academy and the other at a James Avery.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Oldgringo »

Bruin98 wrote:
{snip}

I stood next to a uniformed police officer for most of the game. Rest assured it was legal.
I wasn't questioning the legality. Carry on.

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

I'm trying! I cant be everywhere!

I OC in Sugarland, Richmond and Rosenberg. Only a few looks. No comments. A couple of thumbs up and a question about my choice of side arm.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

psijac

Post by psijac »

If we want to win the culture war, we should hire sexy models to open carry in parks, malls, and restaurants.
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Yeah, I don't know what's going on. I was told over and over by people in Austin that this was going to lead to absolute anarchy and brimstone falling from the sky.

Whodathunkit :totap:

Each time I've OC'd not a soul has noticed.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

treeman

Post by treeman »

I have seen 2 OC so far: One at a restaurant in Gilmer and the other at a business in Longview.

timdsmith72

Post by timdsmith72 »

I swore I wouldn't OC. And I still don't really, except when pumping gas or walking the dog. The rest of the time now, I just really "sloppy" conceal. As in I really don't care if I'm printing or even if my shirt tail has ridden up and half my holster is exposed. After years of CC, I had gotten really good at the ole "squat instead of bend over" technique so the grip wouldn't poke through the shirt. (You know what I'm talking about.) I've got bad knees, so I don't do this any more. If I bend over and the grip obviously prints or my shirt rides up... Meh...
I haven't worn my shirt tucked in since I got my CHL many years ago. One of these days... Maybe...

Jketchum

Post by Jketchum »

Seen 3 one guy was eating breakfast at a local BBQ place in Leander, the second was in downtown Round Rock I noticed him as I drove by and the third was me yesterday! I went to the range, stopped at the gas station on the way there. I did have a few looks from the cashier, I asked how his day was and tried to make small talk. No issues.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Beiruty »

Jketchum wrote:Seen 3 one guy was eating breakfast at a local BBQ place in Leander, the second was in downtown Round Rock I noticed him as I drove by and the third was me yesterday! I went to the range, stopped at the gas station on the way there. I did have a few looks from the cashier, I asked how his day was and tried to make small talk. No issues.
This :iagree: :clapping:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”