Police Knowledge of CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
DonFromTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Police Knowledge of CHL

Post by DonFromTexas »

I thought once I read it on this forum, but cannot find it now. When a law enforcement officer stops you, don't he already know you have a license to carry when he runs your tag?

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Police Knowledge of CHL

Post by Liberty »

LEO won't know who is driving until you show him your ID.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Morbidrealities

Post by Morbidrealities »

Liberty wrote:LEO won't know who is driving until you show him your ID.
:iagree:

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

If the vehicle is registered to you, it should show up with your DL and that you have an LTC. However, you should still inform them that you have an LTC if you are carrying.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

LTC status is not tied to your LP. However, if the vehicle is registered to you, they can do a blind search with that name and address in the Driver License database and find your DL. From there, your DL report will show that you have a LTC. A cop will rarely do all of this while pulling you over, but dispatch may be doing it... typically they only do this if they are running your plates because your vehicle was broken into in a parking lot, found abandoned, etc.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

SHogun62

Post by SHogun62 »

locke_n_load wrote:If the vehicle is registered to you, it should show up with your DL and that you have an LTC. However, you should still inform them that you have an LTC if you are carrying.

Not disagreeing with you from a moral stance, but legally you HAVE to show them your CHL/LTC when engaged.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

You are required to show your CHL, but I think the penalty was removed at least when you are not carrying.

I just hand them both ID's as I keep them together in my wallet and inform them of my carry status after that. They normally ask when they see the CHL anyway.

dale blanker
Banned

Post by dale blanker »

DonFromTexas wrote:I thought once I read it on this forum, but cannot find it now. When a law enforcement officer stops you, don't he already know you have a license to carry when he runs your tag?
I was stopped for speeding and proceeded to show both my DL and LTC. The officer was friendly and asked if I had the gun on board. I said "yes, it's in the console". He asked if he could see it and so I got the 22LR revolver out and handed it to him. He said "hmm, I guess that would stop someone or at least get their attention". We laughted and I thought " hey. we're bonding and I probably won't get a ticket".

Not so. He returned the gun and proceeded to write the ticket. Oh well, it was all very pleasant...
"Fellowship, Leadership, Scholarship, Service." Anyone?

nimravus01

Post by nimravus01 »

MechAg94 wrote:You are required to show your CHL, but I think the penalty was removed at least when you are not carrying.

I just hand them both ID's as I keep them together in my wallet and inform them of my carry status after that. They normally ask when they see the CHL anyway.
The law says that you only have to give your LTC if you are carrying at the time.

As fate would have it, I unwhittingly got to test this out: About a year ago, I happend to get pulled over on a rare ocasion that I was not carrying. So, by the letter of the law, I simply gave the officer my DL and insurance.

After he ran my info, he came back to me and asked why I hadn't given him my LTC. I told him "because I did not have my gun with me." He replied, "you still have to show it, and the system pops up your LTC status, so now I automatically think there's a gun in the car." I referenced the law and said "besides, under MPA anybody can have a gun in the car without a LTC and they would not pop up in your system." (trying to convey that it's really a moot point.) "I would have informed you IF I was carrying." He still insisted that I was supposed to show it to him, regardless, and I politely dissagreed. He stepped away for a few minutes, (I'm guessing he was checking the law maybe?) He came back, gave my paperwork back, no ticket, and just said "have a good night."

So the moral of the story is: If you're not carrying you don't HAVE to show them the LTC, but, it's going to pop up anyway and will probably get you questioned.
I'll leave that up to you to decide if you want to go through the same scenario.
Texas Government Code wrote:Sec. 411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.
Edited to add Tx GC reference

o b juan

Post by o b juan »

they dropped the suspension penalty a few years back if you fail to show chl/ltc while it is on or about you.

but guess what if you dont you will probably get a ticket now for the reason he stopped you. Courtesy by you can keep the ticket to a warning.
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

If I.D. is requested by an LEO and you're carrying, you are obligated to show both D.L. and LTC.

If not carrying, and I.D. requested you are only obligated to show D.L.

However, do to many an under informed LEO if asked for I.D, show both to keep confusion at a minimum.

In the past, if not carrying, I would've just shone my D.L., but after hearing so many stories of poorly informed LEO's regarding LTC's, I've since changed my mind about being technically correct regarding what I do and don't have to produce...just show em both and be done with it.

Arguing by the side of the road (even when you're correct about your arguing about) is never a good idea.

Some LEO's might just hook you up because they're 'convinced' they're right. Later when it's proven 'you' were in the right will be too late to prevent a very inconvenient/humiliating for all experience.

Just show em both I.D.'s carrying or not.

RSX11

Post by RSX11 »

If not carrying, and I.D. requested you are only obligated to show D.L.
If you're driving a car, maybe. But if you're not driving. you aren't required to show your identity papers or identify yourself if you're not under arrest. In Texas anyway...so far...

o b juan

Post by o b juan »

RSX11
since you used the word if , so will I

If you have red hair and blue jeans and cowboy boots on a\ and a snatch and grab was was put on radio by police dispatch with the forementioned description and a Law man rolls up on you as you are walking down the street and asks for ID. will you refuse and get it started? :nono: :nono:
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

"If you're driving a car" definitely.

Given the scenario of simply walking down the street, while breaking no laws, you certainly aren't required by law to produce I.D, though many, many LEO's are also poorly informed about this too.

Many LEO's think they can demand I.D. of someone in the above scenario simply because they're LE.

Not so. Not in the scenario I provided.

Once again, I invoke ye old "we aren't in nazi Germany" yet...

If I'm ever in the above scenario and my "papers" are demanded, I will politely inform said LEO that I'm not required to carry I.D. while simply walking in public while breaking no laws.

I'd love to be taken in if this ever happens.

I have the time and resources to have a lot of fun if this ever happens to me.

As you may tell, this scenario is one of my pet peeves as motivated by my Dad, a WW11 vet, who had this happen to him.

Also, I'm very pro-LEO, but the demand for I.d. where no such has to be provided makes me crazy, ah, ok, crazier...

SA_Steve

Post by SA_Steve »

not for me
I've dealt with lawyers, cops, and judges several times
none have been fun, all have been expensive and very inconvenient
they are all in the same labor union/cartel
You may have the last word.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”