How would you handle this road range incident?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How would you handle this road range incident?

Post by oohrah »

bblhd672 wrote:Is citizens driving around with dash cams becoming normal?
I also have a full time dash cam. never know when it might come in handy. just the other day, I caught a red light violator, but didn't affect me.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

If I was not able to get away, as soon as he jumped out of his vehicle I probably would have drawn on him myself. Can't say I would have shot or not, it would probably depend on who was with me; I'll assume a much larger risk for myself than I would if I had friends/family with me.

txyaloo

Post by txyaloo »

bdgyeah wrote:Scary. Curious about the previous 5 minutes.
This is what he posted on Reddit.
Almsot a mile down the same road i was zooming down comfortably when i spied at the next intersection a large pickup progresssing at a rate of speed that was reckless based on proximity to the red loght he was approaching. I had the green but was wary as i went through. He had already crossed several lanes of traffic and was near my lane. It was midnight , no one around but us. I swerved around him and beeped and continued on. He followed me closely, swerved around me, then blasted the gas and took off into the distance doing what I'd guess over 100 MPH. Then hes waiting at the intersection ahead for me. And so it conmences.

LucasMcCain
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LucasMcCain »

There are at least two sides to every story, of course. However, this sounds reasonable. I have had people follow me and yell and rage just because they did something stupid and reckless near me and I honked at them. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to drive. We need stricter background checks on all car sales, especially the ones sold through those car show loopholes.

For me, there's a very good chance that criminal would have gotten shot or run over. There had clearly already been an attempt to get out of the situation. There comes a point at which you defend yourself, and I think that would have been it for me.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Just like not employing the "1 finger salute", please restrain your temptation to chastise by honking at bone head drivers.

It will not teach them anything, but it may very well incite a so-called deadly road rage incident.

Some out there on the road are sociopaths/psychos who think they can do whatever misdeeds they care to do while driving and you Mr. Reasonable have no say. If you have the temerity to honk at them that's all they need to come after you.

I'm not advocating passivity if they mean you harm, but if you have some sort of incident with one of these nut cases, but there's 'no' danger to you or harm to your vehicle, let it go. Do not engage if not necessary.

Remember, these cretins are never wrong in their opinion and that's what make them so dangerous. You can't reason with the crazy...

When I originally posted the above I left out the "NO" garbling my message. Arrrrghhhh!
Last edited by Abraham on Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

LucasMcCain wrote:There are at least two sides to every story, of course. However, this sounds reasonable. I have had people follow me and yell and rage just because they did something stupid and reckless near me and I honked at them. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to drive. We need stricter background checks on all car sales, especially the ones sold through those car show loopholes.

For me, there's a very good chance that criminal would have gotten shot or run over. There had clearly already been an attempt to get out of the situation. There comes a point at which you defend yourself, and I think that would have been it for me.

:iagree:

And we need to close the loophole on private auto transfers, they should all have to go through a licensed dealer, with mandatory waiting periods, just in case the background check missed something. And a "No Drive List" is only common sense!! :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

Abraham wrote:Just like not employing the "1 finger salute", please restrain your temptation to chastise by honking at bone head drivers.

It will not teach them anything, but it may very well incite a so-called deadly road rage incident.

Some out there on the road are sociopaths/psychos who think they can do whatever misdeeds they care to do while driving and you Mr. Reasonable have no say. If you have the temerity to honk at them that's all they need to come after you.

I'm not advocating passivity if they mean you harm, but if you have some sort of incident with one of these nut cases, but there's 'no' danger to you or harm to your vehicle, let it go. Do not engage if not necessary.

Remember, these cretins are never wrong in their opinion and that's what make them so dangerous. You can't reason with the crazy...

When I originally posted the above I left out the "NO" garbling my message. Arrrrghhhh!
I can agree that honking at someone just to voice your displeasure at their actions is probably a bad idea. I was speaking of doing it to get their attention and prevent an accident. I most often have to employ this tactic when on my motorcycle, as people often just don't see me. Examples include person on a cell phone drifting into your lane, person looking the other way and starting to pull out in front of you, etc. Sometimes they appreciate the "heads up" honk; sometimes they don't. I think we agree on this subject; I just wanted to clarify my position.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Abraham wrote:Just like not employing the "1 finger salute", please restrain your temptation to chastise by honking at bone head drivers.

:iagree:

I never use my horn unless I need to alert someone to my presence for safety reasons. The most common would be a person who is starting to change lanes while I am in their blind spot. I have also used my horn on a couple isolated occasions when it is clear that the driver in front of me at a red light did not notice it change to green (driver looking down, at least 5-10 seconds having passed, and then just a quick tap on the horn).

I will never use my horn to alert someone to the fact that they are driving like a jerk. Nothing good can come from doing that. For whatever reason, using your horn has a tendency to set off some people more than most other things.

SA_Steve

Post by SA_Steve »

There's two kinds of horn honks:
1/ Look out !
2/ The punishment honk
3/ ok 3, the light is green - quit your texting and go on
You may have the last word.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”