Texas Carry Executive Director sued for filing signage complaint against Waller County

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

bblhd672

Re: Texas Carry Executive Director sued for filing signage complaint against Waller County

Postby bblhd672 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:24 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:The Houston 1st Court of Appeals also ordered the trial court to conduct a hearing to determine the attorney fees and other costs of litigation the county must pay to Terry. The opinion makes it clear the court better award the money, or the appellate court will.

It was a great result. I'm going to do a podcast on this case pointing out the absurdity of the suit that was filed by the county and the judicial abuse by the judge who ruled in the county's favor.

Chas.

The first thing I thought was “ how much did this cost Holcomb to defend himself?” I’m glad to hear the county is going to be required to reimburse his attorney fees and other costs. About 125% of what it cost Holcomb in fees, costs and lost wages is a good starting point.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
Si vis pacem, para bellum

mojo84

Re: Texas Carry Executive Director sued for filing signage complaint against Waller County

Postby mojo84 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:26 pm

A lot of taxpayer money was wasted also. Glad it turned out like it did.

dlh

Postby dlh » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:13 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:The Houston 1st Court of Appeals also ordered the trial court to conduct a hearing to determine the attorney fees and other costs of litigation the county must pay to Terry. The opinion makes it clear the court better award the money, or the appellate court will.

It was a great result. I'm going to do a podcast on this case pointing out the absurdity of the suit that was filed by the county and the judicial abuse by the judge who ruled in the county's favor.

Chas.

Good to hear,Charles! I thought that was a frivolous suit from the get-go.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:44 pm

mojo84 wrote:A lot of taxpayer money was wasted also. Glad it turned out like it did.

After the case is fully over, including the AG suit, someone should serve an Open Records Request for all documents, audio/video records, emails, check requests/stubs, etc. related to this issue. Then give it to the media. Not me -- I do enough of these requests.

Chas.

mojo84

Postby mojo84 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:49 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
mojo84 wrote:A lot of taxpayer money was wasted also. Glad it turned out like it did.

After the case is fully over, including the AG suit, someone should serve an Open Records Request for all documents, audio/video records, emails, check requests/stubs, etc. related to this issue. Then give it to the media. Not me -- I do enough of these requests.

Chas.

That's a good idea. I'll consider doing it if I remember or it hits my radar at the appropriate time. I may need a little coaching on how to phrase the letter appropriately to get all the info.

treadlightly

Postby treadlightly » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:37 pm

mojo84 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.

That's a good idea. I'll consider doing it if I remember or it hits my radar at the appropriate time. I may need a little coaching on how to phrase the letter appropriately to get all the info.

I’ve done three Public Information Act requests. I’m not a lawyer, just somebody who gets steamed when the State won’t follow its own laws.

Read the AG’s PIA handbook, for starters (free pdf download). No special wording is required, but I think it makes sense to say you are asking under the PIA. Basically, any question to a State employee is covered. If you ask a secretary how late her office is open, it’s technically covered under the PIA.

If you don’t get the information you want, this is one of the few things the AG will help with

Out of the three requests I’ve written, all three were deliberately mishandled. One, I didn’t learn how I was scammed for months. Another, the AG wrote a demand letter on my behalf (and the agency still said they didn’t have meeting minutes required in statutes), and a third I’m just getting started on.

I should probably get a life. The PIA carries criminal penalties without protection of office, but that doesn’t mean it’s willingly obeyed in all cases.

RossA

Postby RossA » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:29 pm

I am so happy to see that the judge (a former friend before all of this) was slapped down publicly. Too bad a judge who makes such bad rulings can't be forced to pay attorney's fees. Or a district or county attorney who pursues a frivolous case like this. The taxpayers always foot the bill.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

1wise1

Postby 1wise1 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:26 pm

Every story says this decision is going to "cost the county".... NO it is going to cost the taxpayers. The county is not a profit making business it is a political entity that levies a tax on every business and citizen in Waller County, as well as receives grants from the state treasury.
The District Attorney is elected by the voters of Waller County, and so is the judge. First order of business should be removal of both by the voters and then a similar house cleaning of additional county offices. Perhaps a complaint should be brought with the state bar association as well asking for a misconduct ruling. Doctors lose their licenses for malpractice... so should other licensed professionals who engage in overreach.
Certified Glock Armorer
Combine ignorance, arrogance and low altitude, and the result is guaranteed to be spectacular.

puma guy

Postby puma guy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:38 pm

Chas.

Holcomb VS. Waller Co.
Holcomb by knockout - two stiff jabs and a devastating uppercut.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

ELB

Postby ELB » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:22 pm

Any news on this?
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”