Texas Carry Executive Director sued for filing signage complaint against Waller County

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

KLB
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Texas Carry Executive Director sued for filing signage complaint against Waller County

Post by KLB »

dawgfishboy wrote:Is providing a secure place to lock it up while in the building too much to ask (or a bad idea)? Some of us prefer to ride mass transit vs driving downtown when summonsed.
A nice idea, but probably a nonstarter for the same reason airports no longer have lockers. It's place to leave a bomb.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Texas Carry Executive Director sued for filing signage complaint against Waller County

Post by RoyGBiv »

KLB wrote:
dawgfishboy wrote:Is providing a secure place to lock it up while in the building too much to ask (or a bad idea)? Some of us prefer to ride mass transit vs driving downtown when summonsed.
A nice idea, but probably a nonstarter for the same reason airports no longer have lockers. It's place to leave a bomb.
Not if what you put in there is monitored.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

mr1337
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mr1337 »

RoyGBiv wrote:
KLB wrote:
Not if what you put in there is monitored.
That, and it should only be accessible with LTC accompanied by a LEO or security detail.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 17

Post by Jusme »

I don't think it would be too much of a financial burden for the counties to bear, all county jails have storage lockers for LEO's to put their guns before entering the secured areas. They could even provide them at a fee, say .50 cents a day, to offset the cost.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

SA-TX
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SA-TX »

Jusme wrote:

I don't think it would be too much of a financial burden for the counties to bear, all county jails have storage lockers for LEO's to put their guns before entering the secured areas. They could even provide them at a fee, say .50 cents a day, to offset the cost.
Based on past reading (but not personal experience), PA has had a "locker law" for courthouses for many years. This may offer the Legislature or TSRA experience to draw from if carrying there cannot pass.

SA-TX

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RogueUSMC »

RoyGBiv wrote: Jurors?

I hated having to lock my gun in the car serving jury duty in FTW.
But preemption needs top be in place. In Smith county, the juror parking is off-limits for firearms...even states it on the summons.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 6

Post by G.A. Heath »

RogueUSMC wrote:

But preemption needs top be in place. In Smith county, the juror parking is off-limits for firearms...even states it on the summons.
Assuming this is Smith County Texas. Unless it's federal property then the notice is invalid and may be in violation of the fines for signs law.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

mojo84
Posts in topic: 15

Post by mojo84 »

G.A. Heath wrote:
RogueUSMC wrote:

Assuming this is Smith County Texas. Unless it's federal property then the notice is invalid and may be in violation of the fines for signs law.
Smith County doesn't seem to be too concerned about laws regarding LTC and signs.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

ELB
Posts in topic: 20

Post by ELB »

SA-TX wrote:
Based on past reading (but not personal experience), PA has had a "locker law" for courthouses for many years. This may offer the Legislature or TSRA experience to draw from if carrying there cannot pass.

SA-TX
State of Washington also requires court houses to provide either stationary lock boxes big enough to hold a pistol or an official to receive weapons for safekeeping. The boxes must be located in the same building as the court proceedings. The local legislative authority is liable for any negligence that causes damage to or loss of the pistol weapon while it is in the lockbox or care of the official.

ETA: By the way, this website has a list of courtroom security and firearms restrictions in every state:
http://www.ncsc.org/Topics/Courthouse-F ... t=Firearms in Courthouses and Courtrooms
USAF 1982-2005

dawgfishboy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dawgfishboy »

ELB wrote:ETA: By the way, this website has a list of courtroom security and firearms restrictions in every state:
http://www.ncsc.org/Topics/Courthouse-F ... t=Firearms in Courthouses and Courtrooms
Thanks. Couldn't get link to work for some reason.

Hopefully this link works.

ELB
Posts in topic: 20

Post by ELB »

Texas AG just gave a 15 day cure notice to Waller County:

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/fi ... thouse.pdf
USAF 1982-2005

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Papa_Tiger »

ELB wrote:Texas AG just gave a 15 day cure notice to Waller County:

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/fi ... thouse.pdf
Awesome! Well done OAG!
:txflag: :smash:

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

:thumbs2: :thumbs2:

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 6

Post by G.A. Heath »

While I may not be a lawyer I suspect that this gives Holcomb's attorney a major weapon against Waller County. If nothing else it should allow him to demand a stay pending the outcome of the AG's actions, and should even get a dismissal of some (probably all) claims made by Waller County now or after a decision is made in any suit the AG brings against Waller County.

Waller County might try to get a stay or injunction against the suit the AG's office will file by claiming one of their claims in this suit may having bearing on anything the AG's office might bring against them, but I would think a judge would decide that the the claim in the Holcomb case lacks standing in light of the AG's actions as the government code says that is where the issues of the signs being compliant or not is to be decided. Additionally any suit the AG brings should get priority as a decision there can lead to fines that are cumulative over time.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

G.A. Heath wrote:While I may not be a lawyer I suspect that this gives Holcomb's attorney a major weapon against Waller County. If nothing else it should allow him to demand a stay pending the outcome of the AG's actions, and should even get a dismissal of some (probably all) claims made by Waller County now or after a decision is made in any suit the AG brings against Waller County.

Waller County might try to get a stay or injunction against the suit the AG's office will file by claiming one of their claims in this suit may having bearing on anything the AG's office might bring against them, but I would think a judge would decide that the the claim in the Holcomb case lacks standing in light of the AG's actions as the government code says that is where the issues of the signs being compliant or not is to be decided. Additionally any suit the AG brings should get priority as a decision there can lead to fines that are cumulative over time.

I agree, and the fact that the AG lawsuit will not take place in the same building that the ruling is in dispute, will take precedence over any appellate ruling.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”