CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Embalmo
Posts in topic: 4

Hippie Yelled At Me For Carrying

Post by Embalmo »

Gang,

Okay, so I parked my truck in front of the capitol and got on my Swagway hoverboard to buzz around the capitol and downtown today. Yes, I know, I'm a dork, but I had a lot of fun. Oh, and I opened carried the whole time. So on 6th street (for non-Austinites, this is the nightlife/weirdo district), this hippie on a bike confronts me about buying T-shirts that he custom made. He seemed a little drunk or stoned, but harmless enough.

He saw my gun and said calmly, "Whoa you're packing." I told him I carry for self-protection, and he didn't seem bothered at all about it. Then, I had what I thought was a friendly conversation with him about how he makes his crafts and I told him I'd show my family his Facebook page and consider ordering some of his stuff. I was genuinely interested.

When he found out that I wouldn't buy a T-shirt on the spot, he rudely pedaled away as I was telling him that it was nice to meet him. I lost track of the guy until he buzzed by me on his bicycle and shouted at the top of his lungs, "No one wants you here with that GUN!" I kept on rolling (literally) and no one looked at me or the cyclist.

I rolled all around the capitol grounds and downtown and I greeted and chatted with curious people. I could not have been more conspicuous to the pedestrians and LEOs while rolling on a balancing scooter, but I didn't get a single unpleasant glance or comment from anyone but the seemingly stoned hippie.

M. Ball Moe.
Husband and wife CHL team since 2009

eureka40
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Hippie Yelled At Me For Carrying

Post by eureka40 »

Thanks for sharing. That is only one of the reasons I never go down into Austin anymore. There's plenty for me to do right here in P-ville.
TSRA Life Memeber

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Oldgringo »

OC will get one noticed - sooner or later, for better or for worse.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

My kids crossed UT off their list the first time we visited 6th St. :lol:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

rexmitchell

Post by rexmitchell »

It is a hippie, who cares?

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

The only time I OC is when filling up my truck.

While doing this, I WANT my pistola to be noticed as some of the gas stations I've stopped at seem to attract the unsavory types who seem to gravitate in my direction to beg, interview, hassle, all while I'm a captive to pumping gas...then as they begin to approach notice I'm armed and then halt their march in my direction stay the heck away from me.

Otherwise, I CC.

Those who OC as a matter of course, I'm happy for you, but you will (at times) draw some negative feedback from the anti crowd as evidenced by the disgruntled hippie creep. That sort of notice and potential nasty feedback is something I don't care to experience.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I OC most of the time now, I have had only one person shake their head in disapproval, I have had over half a dozen thank me, give me a thumbs up, or start a conversation about what I'm carrying. OC'ing has been a very positive experience with the best one being the older lady at walmart thanking me and telling me she felt safer with me there!
Last edited by crazy2medic on Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

Sorry the guy was a jerk to you. Sounds like it had less to do with carrying and more to do with you not buying one of his shirts. I've been yelled at by hippies more than once, and never about guns (so far). For a group that professes to be all about peaceful coexistence and tolerance, they sure do tend to be offensively intolerant of anything they don't agree with.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

RoyGBiv wrote:My kids crossed UT off their list the first time we visited 6th St. :lol:
Crossed it off my list pretty quick too. Visiting not required.

A&M is still on the list tho, much to my dad's football dismay. I think he'll probablu cry if he's forced to root for the Aggies because his daughter is one.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

RoyGBiv wrote:My kids crossed UT off their list the first time we visited 6th St. :lol:
Probably for the better.

Actually, strike that first word.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

He (the hippie) was helping to "keep Austin weird". "rlol"
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

rexmitchell wrote:It is a hippie, who cares?
Really, I would take it as a badge of honor. :thumbs2:
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

Oldgringo wrote:OC will get one noticed - sooner or later, for better or for worse.
^ This ^

TXPeaceOfficerDave
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by TXPeaceOfficerDave »

So I've read the entire thread and a few thoughts come to mind. One...open carry is just dumb unless you're hunting. I say this from experience. Was in a Waffle House in Jackcon, Mississippi (complete low-rent town) and on the night shift for the PD. Just so happens that it was my off night but couldn't sleep so went down to meet my partner for midnight breakfast. While in the restaurant the guy we'd been looking for what had a warrant out for strong armed robbery came in the eat. Two cops eating right next to him five feet away. DANG GOOD THING WE WEREN'T OPEN CARRYING!!! Cause he clearly wouldn't shot at us first if we had. Yes, when we got him he was armed.

Two...I went to Ole Miss but I live in San Antonio. So I have no dog in the University of Texas argument. But I can say 100% the people I know that work with that went there got a FIRST RATE education. Literally first class. Two of the brightest people I know went there. So don't bash them too hard cause you'll likely work sometime in your life for someone who went there and they'll sign your paycheck.

Three...did I emotion OC is dumb? In fact, when off duty before I retired I hid my weapon as soon as I could when I drive away from the precinct. Last thing I want is Joe Shmo to remember I arrested him and he then believe taking my weapon in front of my wife and kids in a good idea cause he can see it since I'm OC'ing and showing it to God and everyone. Heck no on OC. In fact, most of the time I flat out debt I am armed and dang sure deny being an officer. Tell them I work at Pizza Hut.

TXPeaceOfficerDave
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by TXPeaceOfficerDave »

And yes. I also hate a department in "the government". One I despise is called the LCRA. Lower Colorado River Authority. Omg I hate them. Make really dumb decisions on a few camping rules for public access at Canyon Lake.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”