Shooting dogs

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

MrMcCullster
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Shooting dogs

Post by MrMcCullster »

Now that I've seen/read this thread, the older woman who walks my neighborhood with a putter isn't so crazy anymore.

It's not long enough to be a walking stick. I just thought she was walking to some secret putt-putt course.

We have lots of stray dogs in our older neighborhood, so it makes sense. You never know what type of hungry dog or mutt you'll run into.

rotor
Posts in topic: 13

Post by rotor »

MrMcCullster wrote:Now that I've seen/read this thread, the older woman who walks my neighborhood with a putter isn't so crazy anymore.

It's not long enough to be a walking stick. I just thought she was walking to some secret putt-putt course.

We have lots of stray dogs in our older neighborhood, so it makes sense. You never know what type of hungry dog or mutt you'll run into.
Somewhere, maybe here, I read a 3 iron is better and stronger. I don't play golf though.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

rotor wrote:
MrMcCullster wrote:Now that I've seen/read this thread, the older woman who walks my neighborhood with a putter isn't so crazy anymore.

Somewhere, maybe here, I read a 3 iron is better and stronger. I don't play golf though.
I think some might argue that carrying a golf club for use as a weapon is 46.02 UCW. I've heard of cases where people have been prosecuted for having baseball bats in their car within reach. It would be considered a "club" and unless you are "participating in a sporting activity" or have a LTC, you would be violating 46.02. :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

WildBill
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WildBill »

ScottDLS wrote:I think some might argue that carrying a golf club for use as a weapon is 46.02 UCW. I've heard of cases where people have been prosecuted for having baseball bats in their car within reach. It would be considered a "club" and unless you are "participating in a sporting activity" or have a LTC, you would be violating 46.02. :shock:
Yes, some might argue that, but I wouldn't. IMO a golf club is specifically designed for hitting golf balls, not people or dogs.
I have also "heard" about some being harassed about baseball bats, but never have hear a documented case of an arrest for "carrying one."
I wouldn't doubt that there have been prosecutions, after the fact, where a baseball bat was used to threaten or actually used as a weapon.
PENAL CODE

TITLE 10. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH, SAFETY, AND MORALS

CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS

Sec. 46.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
(1) "Club" means an instrument that is specially designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument, and includes but is not limited to the following:
(A) blackjack;
(B) nightstick;
(C) mace;
(D) tomahawk.
NRA Endowment Member

rotor

Post by rotor »

ScottDLS wrote:
rotor wrote:

I think some might argue that carrying a golf club for use as a weapon is 46.02 UCW. I've heard of cases where people have been prosecuted for having baseball bats in their car within reach. It would be considered a "club" and unless you are "participating in a sporting activity" or have a LTC, you would be violating 46.02. :shock:
I agree with you completely. Read my earlier posts in this thread. The question is though are you legal carrying a club if you are carrying your gun and have a LTC. The $64 question. 46.15

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WTR »

rotor wrote:Nightmare and WTR, my comments are only to try to find out what is legal vs practical. Ideally what you carry is both legal and practical. When there are comments like "I don't think a LEO would do".... is not going to be a defense if the LEO does do it. I bring this up more as an academic understanding of the law. I have my own method of handling an unruly dog.
Sorry if I missed the point of your question. However, I do hope you take the potential of a dog attack as a real threat. We have had two people killed by small packs of Pit Bull/Pit Bull mixes in the past 2 years. One of my own friends had his dog and himself mauled by a Pit while walking on a ditch bank. He went back and dispatched the offending dog with a 12 ga. He still goes on walks although he is always armed these days.

rotor

Post by rotor »

WTR wrote:
rotor wrote:Nightmare and WTR, my comments are only to try to find out what is legal vs practical. Ideally what you carry is both legal and practical. When there are comments like "I don't think a LEO would do".... is not going to be a defense if the LEO does do it. I bring this up more as an academic understanding of the law. I have my own method of handling an unruly dog.
Sorry if I missed the point of your question. However, I do hope you take the potential of a dog attack as a real threat. We have had two people killed by small packs of Pit Bull/Pit Bull mixes in the past 2 years. One of my own friends had his dog and himself mauled by a Pit while walking on a ditch bank. He went back and dispatched the offending dog with a 12 ga. He still goes on walks although he is always armed these days.
In my youth I was a letter carrier and then a meter reader. Believe me, I know dog attacks and I also know how to handle them. I am very wary of pit bulls. I am still trying to find out if carrying a club (baton, golf club, etc.) is legal if you are carrying your gun and have a LTC. I believe it is but have not had a definitive answer. My wife and I walk three dogs, all little cowards. She walks 2, I walk 1 and am armed and carry a sjambok. Sjambok is a very effective device against a dog or a human. I use one on my acreage for protection from snakes. Also great for clearing broken clays from the clay thrower.
I just like to know for sure if something is legal and not depend on the discretion of a LEO to decide (especially when they are not familiar with the law) on whether you are guilty or not.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

rotor wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
rotor wrote:

I agree with you completely. Read my earlier posts in this thread. The question is though are you legal carrying a club if you are carrying your gun and have a LTC. The $64 question. 46.15
I don't think that 46.15 applies. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

rotor

Post by rotor »

WildBill wrote:
rotor wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
rotor wrote:

WildBill
Why do you say that? It's written very clearly. Why doesn't it apply?
46.15 B6 says
"(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who"

"(6) is carrying:
(A) a license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a handgun; and
(B) a handgun:
(i) in a concealed manner; or
(ii) in a shoulder or belt holster;"

JakeTheSnake

Post by JakeTheSnake »

rotor wrote:Sjambok
Not to hijack, but do you know if the synthetic ones on ebay are worth it?

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

rotor wrote:
WildBill wrote:
rotor wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
rotor wrote:

WildBill
Why do you say that? It's written very clearly. Why doesn't it apply?
46.15 B6 says
"(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who"

"(6) is carrying:
(A) a license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a handgun; and
(B) a handgun:
(i) in a concealed manner; or
(ii) in a shoulder or belt holster;"
Just to be clear, I am talking about carrying a club in public, such as when walking a dog.
I believe it applies only to handguns and not other weapons.
http://www.ggglawfirm.com/texas-hb-1815 ... eapon.html
NRA Endowment Member

rotor

Post by rotor »

WildBill, that was from 2007. Look in the latest CHL-16 46.15

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

WildBill wrote: Just to be clear, I am talking about carrying a club in public, such as when walking a dog.
I believe it applies only to handguns and not other weapons.
http://www.ggglawfirm.com/texas-hb-1815 ... eapon.html
This is an interesting dilemma.

Various sections of 46.15 are what provide the non-applicability to peace officers and others to carry these weapons. I wonder why the same would not apply to a CHL/LTC holder when it seems pretty clearly stated that it does?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

rotor

Post by rotor »

JakeTheSnake wrote:
rotor wrote:Sjambok
Not to hijack, but do you know if the synthetic ones on ebay are worth it?
I have a synthetic one I bought from cold steel. The real ones I believe are made from rhino hide or some other African animal. I have never seen one for sale. Ebay ones look the same.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

rotor wrote:WildBill, that was from 2007. Look in the latest CHL-16 46.15
Thanks for pointing that out to me. :oops:
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”