Shooting dogs

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
newlife12176
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Shooting dogs

Post by newlife12176 »

bblhd672 wrote:Its been a long frustrating day so my thought processes weren't fully engaged when I saw the title of the thread "Shooting Dogs" - this is what came to mind:

That's hilarious! That's the kind of dog I want on my side!

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by steveincowtown »

rotor wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:You better be a LEO or level 3 security and both require certification to carry an ASP. If not be ready to take a ride. I don't believe LTC gives you an exemption by technicality or any other reason.
You say this but 46.02 prohibits carrying the club, 46.15 B6 says
"(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who"

"(6) is carrying:
(A) a license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a handgun; and
(B) a handgun:
(i) in a concealed manner; or
(ii) in a shoulder or belt holster;"

See page 56 and 57 of the new CHL. This would imply to me that carrying a club (asp) whatever is legal if you are carrying a handgun as above and a club and have a license to carry. Before open carry the older CHL-16 did not refer to the shoulder or belt holster so obviously with the change it is the legislative attempt to make it legal and the new CHL-16 reflects that change. There are other laws that have exemptions at the end such as carrying in a church. I am not a lawyer and if I wanted to carry an asp I personally would check with my local chief of police. On other matters like this I have email saying that carry was legal. Note though that you have to be licensed and carrying a gun. License alone is not enough.
The other option is a sjambok, very effective and legal.
This.

There is no handbook to "legislative intent." I can only read by and abide by the law. Not afraid of the ride, law is on my side. Again, IANAL, make your own choices.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

newlife12176 wrote:
Abraham wrote:nightmare69,

Presumably, they'd be looking for rabies or a brain tumor to help explain the dog's aggressiveness?

Or, am I off base?

Thanks!
No way. Who is gonna pay for that? They have to find a DVM to do it. Shelter vets are too busy. That isn't routine at all. Doesn't matter why the dog was aggressive. Even if rabid. Highly highly unlikely. Dog was aggressive cause it was not neutered and had an idiot for an owner.
If there were any other signs that it might be rabid, I would think the county health department would be interested in determining that.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 7

Post by nightmare69 »

newlife12176 wrote:

Presumably, they'd be looking for rabies or a brain tumor to help explain the dog's aggressiveness?

Or, am I off base?

Thanks!
No way. Who is gonna pay for that? They have to find a DVM to do it. Shelter vets are too busy. That isn't routine at all. Doesn't matter why the dog was aggressive. Even if rabid. Highly highly unlikely. Dog was aggressive cause it was not neutered and had an idiot for an owner.
The LE dept pays a veterinarian to do it. I've shot a couple on duty when I worked for the Sheriff Office and we were required to take the dogs body as evidence. Thanks to Deputy Dooley this is standard procedure in Texas when police have to put down a dog. He was the reason all Texas LEOs had to take the "dogs and police shoot or don't shoot" course.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

rotor
Posts in topic: 13

Post by rotor »

I wish one of our legal people on this forum would give us their opinion about carrying a baton (ASP). One person (LEO) says you will take a ride, the CHL-16 seems to say it is legal if you follow the requirements. I personally don't want to carry a baton but it would be nice to clarify the record here. Charles?

Nano
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Nano »

I do not have an ASP but do have a piece of broom stick that I could carry if it is legal. Is it legal? I am an LTC holder and pocket carry my XDs45 when I am walking our 20# Shih Tzu on a leash. He would be completely defenseless against a Pitt Bull. I'm not sure this small club would be adequate against a dog attack but I would rather try it than use my 45.

NRA Member

rotor

Post by rotor »

Nano wrote:I do not have an ASP but do have a piece of broom stick that I could carry if it is legal. Is it legal? I am an LTC holder and pocket carry my XDs45 when I am walking our 20# Shih Tzu on a leash. He would be completely defenseless against a Pitt Bull. I'm not sure this small club would be adequate against a dog attack but I would rather try it than use my 45.

Nano, this is the $64 question. I believe it is technically legal even though you are carrying it as a club. Some say no. I do know a sjambok is legal ( according to my chief of police ) and probably more effective although everyone seems to be out of them right now except Ebay. Perhaps you need to check with your local chief and get something in writing (like an email) just in case.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

If anyone thinks they can use a broom stick, cane or even a fighting baton effectively , they are delusional. It takes very specific training to utilize a baton correctly and efficiently. Pits are made to take abuse. I have one dog who would take a hit in order to relieve you of your baton and then you better be ready to shoot. I think out first weapon is our superior reasoning ability, the second is a firearm.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

WTR wrote:If anyone thinks they can use a broom stick, cane or even a fighting baton effectively , they are delusional. It takes very specific training to utilize a baton correctly and efficiently. Pits are made to take abuse. I have one dog who would take a hit in order to relieve you of your baton and then you better be ready to shoot. I think out first weapon is our superior reasoning ability, the second is a firearm.
Good hot OC spray has worked the best for me. My ASP is nothing but an expensive back scratcher. If you want an impact weapon, carry a good solid walking stick.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

rotor

Post by rotor »

nightmare69 wrote:
WTR wrote:If anyone thinks they can use a broom stick, cane or even a fighting baton effectively , they are delusional. It takes very specific training to utilize a baton correctly and efficiently. Pits are made to take abuse. I have one dog who would take a hit in order to relieve you of your baton and then you better be ready to shoot. I think out first weapon is our superior reasoning ability, the second is a firearm.
Good hot OC spray has worked the best for me. My ASP is nothing but an expensive back scratcher. If you want an impact weapon, carry a good solid walking stick.
Small chemical dispenser only is legal. I don't know if civilian size is enough if more than one or even one dog. I don't know what small means either but that's the law. Again though, that walking stick, is it a club or a walking stick? Up to the eye of the LEO that may stop you. In my youth I was a meter reader and when attacked by a dog I always shoved the meter book towards him which he would bite and I used to beat them over the head with a flashlight ( they don't make them that strong now ) but I never dealt with a pit bull or more than one big dog at a time. Actually the toughest to fight are those Chihuahua especially when they are in a pack ( and they always seem to be ). Of course they don't bite too high on the leg. I was never bitten on the job but my meter book sure took a beating.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I'm one of those that doesn't care what the laws says when it comes to protecting me or mine. I'll ask for forgiveness before permission. I have two large capable dogs that I walk daily. I carry a large can of bear juice ( shoots up to 30') and a .40.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

rotor wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
Small chemical dispenser only is legal. I don't know if civilian size is enough if more than one or even one dog. I don't know what small means either but that's the law. Again though, that walking stick, is it a club or a walking stick? Up to the eye of the LEO that may stop you. In my youth I was a meter reader and when attacked by a dog I always shoved the meter book towards him which he would bite and I used to beat them over the head with a flashlight ( they don't make them that strong now ) but I never dealt with a pit bull or more than one big dog at a time. Actually the toughest to fight are those Chihuahua especially when they are in a pack ( and they always seem to be ). Of course they don't bite too high on the leg. I was never bitten on the job but my meter book sure took a beating.
Get bear spray if you're worried about running out. I don't see an officer messing with someone carrying a walking stick. I always carried one for dogs and never had an issue.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Nightmare and WTR, my comments are only to try to find out what is legal vs practical. Ideally what you carry is both legal and practical. When there are comments like "I don't think a LEO would do".... is not going to be a defense if the LEO does do it. I bring this up more as an academic understanding of the law. I have my own method of handling an unruly dog.

Topic author
newlife12176
Posts in topic: 6

Post by newlife12176 »

nightmare69 wrote:
newlife12176 wrote:

Or, am I off base?

Thanks!
The LE dept pays a veterinarian to do it. I've shot a couple on duty when I worked for the Sheriff Office and we were required to take the dogs body as evidence. Thanks to Deputy Dooley this is standard procedure in Texas when police have to put down a dog. He was the reason all Texas LEOs had to take the "dogs and police shoot or don't shoot" course.
Obviously the county deputy has rules and regs they have to follow when they pop a dog. When a citizen does it, those rules wouldn't apply. I am not disagreeing with you or wanting to start a debate however. Even the cases where city police shoot a dog, they don't always take the dogs body to use for evidence. What evidence are you looking for when a dog charges you in the county and you shoot it? Evidence of something that will explain why the dog charged? Rabies? The brain tissue being sent to the State lab in Austin is the only way to determine that. Was your dept holding bodies in a freezer just in case a dog owner called foul?

I have considered taking the class you were referring to. As an animal control officer and LTC holder, I think it would be great to sit through. I went to an animal cruelty seminar recently and the guy that taught it was the retired sheriff of (I think) Van Zandt County. He told everyone of the dog/LE shoot or don't shoot class.

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

Maybe we should all carry body cameras to prove a dog charged us if we have to shoot it. :lol:
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”