Can someone take LTC class at 20?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mloamiller
Posts in topic: 3

Can someone take LTC class at 20?

Post by mloamiller »

I know that most folks have to be 21 to obtain an LTC. However, can you take the LTC class earlier than that? I think I saw somewhere that taking (and passing) the LTC class is good for two years; does that mean you could take the class at 19 and wait until 21 to submit your application?
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Can someone take LTC class at 20?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

mloamiller wrote:I know that most folks have to be 21 to obtain an LTC. However, can you take the LTC class earlier than that? I think I saw somewhere that taking (and passing) the LTC class is good for two years; does that mean you could take the class at 19 and wait until 21 to submit your application?
Yes. I would recommend taking it closer to your 21st birthday so you'll have the latest information concerning Texas law. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/faqs/index.htm No. 14.

Chas.

Topic author
mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
mloamiller wrote:I know that most folks have to be 21 to obtain an LTC. However, can you take the LTC class earlier than that? I think I saw somewhere that taking (and passing) the LTC class is good for two years; does that mean you could take the class at 19 and wait until 21 to submit your application?
Yes. I would recommend taking it closer to your 21st birthday so you'll have the latest information concerning Texas law. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/faqs/index.htm No. 14.

Chas.
After taking and passing the class, how long do you have to submit the application? Is it two years?
LTC/SSC Instructor

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

The CHL-100 obtained from class completion is good for two years. However, the application on file at DPS (once you apply) is only kept around for a year. After that, they will want you to re-apply and pay another application fee. As Charles stated, one can take the class prior to 21 years of age, but cannot formally apply until turning 21.

From the Texas DPS website FAQ:

14. If I am 20 years old, can I take the proficiency class now and still get a license when I turn 21?
Yes, however because you must attest to being 21, your application may not be submitted prior to your 21st birthday.

Vincelopez23

Post by Vincelopez23 »

As answered above, yes you may. If I recall correctly you must be 20 1/2 years old. So you can take the class up to 6 months before you turn 21. I took mine in June when I was 20, and submitted my application for my license when I turned 21 in August

Topic author
mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

Vincelopez23 wrote:As answered above, yes you may. If I recall correctly you must be 20 1/2 years old. So you can take the class up to 6 months before you turn 21. I took mine in June when I was 20, and submitted my application for my license when I turned 21 in August
Based on other responses, it seems you can take the class as early as the day after your 19th birthday, as long as it's < 2 years from your 21st birthday.
LTC/SSC Instructor

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

YES I just figured that since the answer was repeated 3 times I would say it one more time just in case 4 more people wanted to know the answer.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”