New 30.06 signs

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Doug.38PR
Posts in topic: 4

New 30.06 signs

Post by Doug.38PR »

In the past year on visiting Houston, I've noticed a lot of 30.06 signs (and 07) popping in a lot of places. Thrift stores, office buildings, furniture stores, etc.

mr1337
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New 30.06 signs

Post by mr1337 »

Yep.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

BurtG

Post by BurtG »

I suspect there will be a lot of that in the larger cities, due to a higher concentration of liberals in the larger cities.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

BurtG wrote:I suspect there will be a lot of that in the larger cities, due to a higher concentration of liberals in the larger cities.
Hopefully they will be someone there to tell them why when these establishments and cities see decreases in their business and tourists.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
Doug.38PR

Post by Doug.38PR »

BurtG wrote:I suspect there will be a lot of that in the larger cities, due to a higher concentration of liberals in the larger cities.
Makes sense except for the fact that this is just recent. CHL and 30.06 has been around for over 10 years now. Used to be it was just the occasional AMC movie theater or liberal owned mall (Katy Mills). But now it's popping up in a lot of little places.

Mel

Post by Mel »

Doug.38PR wrote:
Makes sense except for the fact that this is just recent. CHL and 30.06 has been around for over 10 years now. Used to be it was just the occasional AMC movie theater or liberal owned mall (Katy Mills). But now it's popping up in a lot of little places.
The introduction of "Open Carry" triggered the influx of 30.06 signs going hand in hand with 30.07 signs.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

Topic author
Doug.38PR

Post by Doug.38PR »

Mel wrote:
Doug.38PR wrote:
The introduction of "Open Carry" triggered the influx of 30.06 signs going hand in hand with 30.07 signs.
I think the Texas legislature kind of screwed Open Carry up. They should have just eliminated the law banning open carry for everyone and allowed everyone to open carry. If somebody has a "no gun" sign up, then that only applies to the open display. Keep it separate from the concealed carry law.

(Ideally, open and concealed should be permitless and unregulated as we are supposed to have the right of self defense as protected by the second amendment)

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

As others have mentioned, 30.06 signs were pretty rare, because concealed carriers were unnoticed.
Then along came Open Carry, and people got concerned that every other person that walked through their door would be packing heat and upsetting the sheep. We can't have that!

So looking at this as an entrepreneur, if I were in the sign business I could really capitalize on that (at the time).

"You get the two 30.07 signs - English and Spanish - to keep those open carry barbarians out. And I'll throw in the 30.06 signs for half price! Then you won't have to worry about guns in your place of business."
"Sounds good. Sign me up for the set".

And that's what I think happened, all over the state.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Doug.38PR wrote:I think the Texas legislature kind of screwed Open Carry up. They should have just eliminated the law banning open carry for everyone and allowed everyone to open carry. If somebody has a "no gun" sign up, then that only applies to the open display. Keep it separate from the concealed carry law.
Russell's nifty website, https://www.texas3006.com/, does a great job of crowd-sourcing info about new and existing 30.06/30.07 postings statewide. I subscribe to new notification emails, and there have been a slew the past year.

We need to look toward the 2017 legislature.

I don't think the 30.07 legislation in 2015 was poorly done at all. But there were ramifications that perhaps only a very few foresaw. IMHO the two biggest were: A) out-of-state corporate holding companies suddenly becoming aware of PC Chapter 30 in general and deciding to post signs; and, B) sign manufacturers seeing new dollars to be had and pushing--I imagine in conjunction with much misinformation--a package deal of "both the required" 30.06 and 30.07 signs at a reduced price. What a deal! Sounds almost ridiculous, but somebody tell me it hasn't happened.

Many of us, me included, have gone to retail establishments or buildings we've confidently walked into CC for years and failed to do the same signage check we would if walking into an establishment new to us. That changed this year. Gotta constantly check for signs. Perhaps not a bad situational awareness reminder.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
Doug.38PR

Post by Doug.38PR »

Skiprr wrote:
Doug.38PR wrote:I think the Texas legislature kind of screwed Open Carry up. They should have just eliminated the law banning open carry for everyone and allowed everyone to open carry. If somebody has a "no gun" sign up, then that only applies to the open display. Keep it separate from the concealed carry law.
Russell's nifty website, https://www.texas3006.com/, does a great job of crowd-sourcing info about new and existing 30.06/30.07 postings statewide. I subscribe to new notification emails, and there have been a slew the past year.

We need to look toward the 2017 legislature.

I don't think the 30.07 legislation in 2015 was poorly done at all. But there were ramifications that perhaps only a very few foresaw. IMHO the two biggest were: A) out-of-state corporate holding companies suddenly becoming aware of PC Chapter 30 in general and deciding to post signs; and, B) sign manufacturers seeing new dollars to be had and pushing--I imagine in conjunction with much misinformation--a package deal of "both the required" 30.06 and 30.07 signs at a reduced price. What a deal! Sounds almost ridiculous, but somebody tell me it hasn't happened.

Many of us, me included, have gone to retail establishments or buildings we've confidently walked into CC for years and failed to do the same signage check we would if walking into an establishment new to us. That changed this year. Gotta constantly check for signs. Perhaps not a bad situational awareness reminder.
See, I think they Legislature went the wrong way because of exactly what you're talking about. The new Open Carry law drew attention and awareness of Chapter 30. They should have kept it under the public radar and just legalized open carry for everybody. Afterall, Louisiana is an open carry state, Mississippi is an open carry state, New Mexico is even an open carry state. WHY NOT TEXAS? It's LONE STAR .45 CALIBER COWBOY CARRYING SOUTHERN BIBLE BELT TEXAS :txflag: :txflag: :txflag: :txflag: :thewave :txflag: :txflag: :txflag: :txflag: FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. (Deep breath) :smash: :grumble

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”