CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
allisji
Posts in topic: 7

Gulf Greyhound Park - Magical Winter Lights

Post by allisji »

Does anyone know if they are posted?

I'm going there tonight with family. Being a gambling facility I would think that they'd be posted, but texas3006 doesn't have them listed. Since this is not a Sporting/Gaming event I would think that it would be good to go if not posted.

Thanks in advance.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Steve5115
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gulf Greyhound Park - Magical Winter Lights

Post by Steve5115 »

Their website states no weapons including pocket knives.
What items are not allowed into the festival?

Prohibited items: Laser Pointers, Spike Jewelry, Bootleg Merchandise, Cans, Bottles, Containers of any kind, Weapons (including pocket knives), Coolers, Obscene or Indecent Clothing, Outside Food & Beverage, Animals (excluding service animals), Pop Up Tents, Playpens, Cigarettes, Chewing Tobacco, Illegal Substances, Bikes, Roller Skates, Skateboards, Shoes with Wheels, are not allowed into Magical Winter Lights.

http://www.magicalwinterlights.com/festival-faqs

Topic author
allisji

Post by allisji »

Steve5115 wrote:Their website states no weapons including pocket knives.

Prohibited items: Laser Pointers, Spike Jewelry, Bootleg Merchandise, Cans, Bottles, Containers of any kind, Weapons (including pocket knives), Coolers, Obscene or Indecent Clothing, Outside Food & Beverage, Animals (excluding service animals), Pop Up Tents, Playpens, Cigarettes, Chewing Tobacco, Illegal Substances, Bikes, Roller Skates, Skateboards, Shoes with Wheels, are not allowed into Magical Winter Lights.

that's not a surprise. I guess if I see them turning people away for spike jewelry and wheely shoes then that's a good sign that they are serious about their prohibitions list. Unless someone has been there and tells me that they are 30.06 posted and/or have metal detectors, then I might just have to feel it out when I get there.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

allisji wrote:
Steve5115 wrote:Their website states no weapons including pocket knives.

that's not a surprise. I guess if I see them turning people away for spike jewelry and wheely shoes then that's a good sign that they are serious about their prohibitions list. Unless someone has been there and tells me that they are 30.06 posted and/or have metal detectors, then I might just have to feel it out when I get there.

I'm curious about the "bootleg" merchandise. Will they be checking to make sure it is really a Rolex? Or a YSL purse? I guess the fashion police will be heavily involved. :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ScottDLS »

Isn't a "racetrack" off limits per PC 46.03 even if no gambling taking place?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

ScottDLS wrote:Isn't a "racetrack" off limits per PC 46.03 even if no gambling taking place?
That would be my take. There is no qualifier or defense to prosecution to PC §46.03(a)(4); doesn't matter whether or not gambling or a professional sporting event is taking place at the time. And the Gulf Greyhound Park does define itself as a racetrack: http://www.gulfgreyhound.com/GeneralInformation.aspx.

I don't know anything about how the festival is setup, but the only thing I can see as legal carry would be if the displays/rides are in the parking lot. PC §46.03 uses the definition of "premises" in PC §46.035(f)(3), so should not apply to streets, driveways, sidewalks, or any parking area. But it would look to me that crossing the line into any building or a portion of a building while carrying would be a 3rd degree felony.

IANALANISILA: I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is legal advice.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
allisji

Post by allisji »

ScottDLS wrote:Isn't a "racetrack" off limits per PC 46.03 even if no gambling taking place?
yes, you're right.
Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(4) on the premises of a racetrack;
So inside the racetrack it would be illegal even without signage. I had missed that prohibited place since I have never really considered going to a racetrack up until now.

Except that I believe that the event is actually in the parking lot area, outside of the premises of the racetrack.
LTC since 2015

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

allisji wrote:
yes, you're right.
Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(4) on the premises of a racetrack;
So inside the racetrack it would be illegal even without signage. I had missed that prohibited place since I have never really considered going to a racetrack up until now.

Except that I believe that the event is actually in the parking lot area, outside of the premises of the racetrack.
Yes if it's in the parking lot you're OK.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
allisji

Post by allisji »

magical lights.jpg
gulf greyhound park.JPG
LTC since 2015

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Is a football stadium off limits when an activity is going on that is not considered a "sporting event."

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

MeMelYup wrote:Is a football stadium off limits when an activity is going on that is not considered a "sporting event."
Not without a 30.06 sign or other specific reason why they could be considered off-limits (such as a school-sponsored activity)
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

MeMelYup wrote:Is a football stadium off limits when an activity is going on that is not considered a "sporting event."
No, but a racetrack (parimutuel wagering kind) is specifically off limits in PC 46.03, with no mention of what is going on...

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 2

Post by treadlightly »

That's ridiculous to ban pocketknives. I'm diminished without my Leatherman or at least a traditional pocketknife.

Topic author
allisji

Post by allisji »

posted 30.06/30.07

They have the signage on the fence to the right of the entrance.
LTC since 2015

Topic author
allisji

Post by allisji »

but I did see people who entered the park with spike jewelry, cigarettes, wheely shoes, laser pointers, and all sorts of contraband.

would that constitute "effective consent"? :totap:
LTC since 2015

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”