Gun was pointed at us. Should we feel safe ?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Is it acceptable to point a gun (unloaded or not) at another person?

Yes - this is OK and totally acceptable as long as the person says the gun wasn't loaded.
No votes
No - this is never OK. It breaks a primary rule of gun safety and is a careless, dangerous and stupid thing to do.
100%

Total votes: 184

RetiredGunnyUSMC
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun was pointed at us. Should we feel safe ?

Post by RetiredGunnyUSMC »

EdnaBambrick wrote:They always defend him by stating 'he was in the army and knows his way around guns'. I point out that even the Russian Army wouldn't let this kind of stupidity go unabated.
My father is a retired Marine/National Guard veteran. But he seems to forget the basic things he was taught while in the military! I showed him my carry gun once, after unloading it and handing it to him with the cylinder open (J Frame S&W, model 36), and he closes the cylinder and, while pointing the gun up in the air, yelled "YeeHaw" and pulled the trigger about 5 times!! :shock: One other time (I wasn't present) he was messing around with a .22 Saturday night special, pointed the gun at the wall, and pulled the trigger! It was loaded. :fire Almost shot the 50 gallon fish tank. Needless to say, I don't even mention guns around him anymore, even though he knows I carry. For a guy who was supposedly an "expert" with his pistol and rifle, he sure got stupid in his old age! By the way, I have that .22 now; his wife gave it to me after that little episode. The senility angle is interesting...
Plastic - 19 June 13 (38 days); 4 March 17 (44 days)

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Post by twomillenium »

Nobody has ever been killed by an unloaded gun, unless they were clubbed to death. Many, many, many folks have been shot, killed, wounded or scared to death by many guns that were thought to be unloaded. This is why all guns should be treated as if they are loaded. This act of your FIL was rude, careless and socially unacceptable. As far as Alzheimer or dementia goes, the things you mentioned happen every day to health folks of all ages. Just because he doesn't behave the way you want him to doesn't make him sick or mentally ill, but you do not have to tolerate unsafe and dangerous behavior.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SewTexas »

Dementia sneaks up on people and families don't want to admit it. Don't be in denial. Too often people end up being diagnosed 5 to even 10 years after the disease has started, which really is too late to do anything to do much of anything. The earlier it's found, the better the chances are of managing symptoms and preserving a good life for everyone.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”