Wife Passed her LTC Class

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bdgyeah
Posts in topic: 1

Wife Passed her LTC Class

Post by bdgyeah »

My wife and I are both transplants here in Texas (LOVE IT!!!). I took my LTC class back in June and have since received my license. I never pressed her to do it. She mentioned in passing a couple months after I received mine so I asked her if it would be something she would like. She was on the fence about it....leaning toward wanting it so I scheduled her for a class in November. It was short notice and getting to the range to practice, for not only the class but to also see what kind of handgun she preferred, proved to be difficult. My EDC is my Glock 19 gen 4, and when she was holding it, she thought it was a little heavy and wanted something smaller. On the range she tried a couple of smaller ones i.e. Ruger LC9s, XDs, etc. She didn't like them. Maybe the recoil, maybe the ergonomics, maybe both. It kind of turned her off a bit not liking the handguns so I pushed back her LTC class to mid January in case she changed her mind.

So she has a job and position where she if frequently dealing with local and state police because of questionable characters in questionable situations. The most recent situation shook her up a bit and she found herself wishing she had a weapon.....just in case. I don't think I have ever seen her feelings/demeanor change about anything so quickly. She is not a rash person. She is very methodical and calculating and seeing her making time and the motivation to get to the range was quite impressive. I took her to the range one time with my Glock and the rest was history. She was comfortable enough with the weapon, it's size, safety and range rules, and not being intimidated, that after one trip with me, she was going on her own.

She took her class yesterday and passed. When I took mine there were 2 women in my class of about 20. When she took hers, half of the class were women. Pretty impressive, and I'm very proud of her. She comes back from the class last night talking about private lessons, like drawing from a holster, and tandem classes and anything else the instructor was throwing out there. I was blown away.

Anyway, just thought I would share. There are more than a few things people can take away from this story. But what I take away is......Looks like Daddy is getting some more guns!!!!

Jusme

Re: Wife Passed her LTC Class

Post by Jusme »

Great post!! And congrats on getting the Mrs. involved. Not only does it sound like you will be getting more guns, it looks like training, and range time will now be couple's therapy!! :tiphat:

:thewave
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

goose
Posts in topic: 2

Post by goose »

Congratulations!! To both of you. May the ultimate benefit never need exercising, and may the tangential benefits be numerous and often.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Congratulations! My wife and I went through the process together several years ago. A fun and enjoyable thing to do together. I remember during our proficiency test the instructor complimenting my wife on how well she loaded her magazines. Guess who taught her. :lol:

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

goose wrote: "May the ultimate benefit never need exercising, and may the tangential benefits be numerous and often."
I really like this! Had to look up tangential. :lol:

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

:woohoo Congrats!

Getting my wife shooting and taking LTC is on my agenda for 2017. She just don't know it yet. :biggrinjester:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

goose

Post by goose »

The Wall wrote:
goose wrote: "May the ultimate benefit never need exercising, and may the tangential benefits be numerous and often."
I knew the word but had to look up the spelling so I won't throw stones. :-)
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Mxrdad

Post by Mxrdad »

bblhd672 wrote::woohoo Congrats!

Getting my wife shooting and taking LTC is on my agenda for 2017. She just don't know it yet. :biggrinjester:
Thats my exact (resolution?) errr agenda and she doesnt know about it either. :lol::

Congrats on getting your wife involved in something you both can enjoy. Good stuff.
Just some guy's opinion.

Mxrdad

Post by Mxrdad »

goose wrote:
The Wall wrote:
I knew the word but had to look up the spelling so I won't throw stones. :-)
Dang it, I had to look it up too. Tangential sounds like something I would go to the doctor for and maybe a get a shot of penicillin. LOL. Dang, spell check had to correct me on penicillin.
Just some guy's opinion.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

yay! more women!!!!
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

bdgyeah wrote:...She comes back from the class last night talking about private lessons, like drawing from a holster, and tandem classes and anything else the instructor was throwing out there.....
Most excellent! My wife has been carrying a Sig P238 for a little over five years (have her check out The Betty holster.)

Getting her private lessons is a great idea! Dear wife was having all kinds of problems when she first started shooting (grip, stance, trigger control, etc.) and I was at a loss to help her advance (husbands usually don't make the best instructor for the wife.) I found a lady in the Kerrville area that gave private lessons and she had one full day of one-on-one instruction - best money ever spent.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

bdgyeah wrote:My wife and I are both transplants here in Texas (LOVE IT!!!).
We've got a lot of transplants on this forum. Glad you are getting used to Texas life. Sounds like y'all are going to fit in just fine. :thumbs2:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”