Licensed but don't carry? Why?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Licensed but don't carry? Why?

Post by treadlightly »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I am NOT going to apologize for having illegally carried a firearm from time to time when I lived in California. During the Rodney King rioting, I carried a 1911 in a fanny pack every day I went to work in downtown L.A. I would put that 1911 under my seat if I was making a late night trip to an ATM, or driving on a long trip - particularly to a remote location. All of that was illegal in California. To hades with California and its trampling of the Constitution. Most or all of their gun laws are unconstitutional. I did NOT rob banks, rape people, mug anyone, burgle homes, stick up gas stations, paint graffiti all over everything, commit any kind of fraud, or harm anyone else in any kind of way; so no matter what anyone else says, I still consider myself a law-abiding person and always will. When I got to Texas, it was lawful for me to travel with a firearm in my car, so I didn't worry about it much initially. Eventually, I went for my CHL about a year after getting here, and have carried ever since.
There you go, the essential evil of restrictive gun law, and I applaud the rational thinking.

When I first scheduled my family for CHL instruction, I remember making an offhand comment that I wasn't really thinking about carrying all the time, but that I should be expected to arm up at any time, for any reason, maybe for no reason, where it was lawful. I've kept guns handy pretty much non-stop since. If the only place I'm going is the Post Office, I still carry (and disarm before entering the federal building). My cell phone could ring and change the rest of the day's futile plans.

But I don't carry because I'm obsessed with guns. The constant reminder to carry is that I'm an American. God's angels sing more harmoniously every time someone carries while remaining obedient to good, moral standards. I'm not saying I'm very moral, but I will say that I work to conduct myself as if I were, the more so when armed. That is why I celebrate life as an armed citizen. It's American and it's healthy.

The other reasons to carry can best be revealed by the teachings of this august assembly of experts in criminal behavior.

Yes, I know. If I'm trapped by one of those guys in a dark alley I'm toast. I have my strict personal rules of engagement, the less strict rules of engagement mandated by law, the value I put on life will be their best weapon, and none of that applies to the opposition. But I still don't want to meet any of them unarmed.

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chasfm11 »

Middle Age Russ wrote:Chasfm11, you posted some of the typical excuses/reasons many people don't carry as often as they might. One of them in particular caught my attention.
Manipulating a loaded pistol multiple times a day is too nerve wracking for some others that I've talked to. This was something that I had to overcome early on, too. It seemed that I'd end up at prohibited locations (our granddaughter's school, the post office, a 30.06 store) multiple times in a day. There is a certain comfort level that one has to achieve that you can concentrate on muzzle control when the urgent items of the day are trying to distract your mental focus. I've heard people say more than once that they are afraid of getting distracted and causing an ND.
This argument is a good point where education / discussion about carry options might be warranted. There are a LOT of different holster designs available for most common pistols. Many of these don't require unbuckling the belt to remove or to re-arm, so to speak. Since these holsters completely cover the trigger and are relatively easy to put on and take off, keeping the gun in the holster practically all the time (while on-body, off-body and in transition) can mitigate most of the safety risks.
Agreed. In my case, the Comp-Tac Minotaur that I use with my EDC is not one that I would consider easy on/easy off. I have a separate holster that I keep in the vehicle. The gun is removed from the IWB and immediately placed in the second holster for vehicle storage. A paddle holster might be a better choice. I recently bought a QB from Comp-Tac and it comes off my belt a lot easier. I just don't like the bump that it makes in my cover shirts since I've gained a few pounds. I've talked to several people about these kinds of decisions but many are put off by the number of holster choices. Again, it is an excuse, not a reason. If they really want to find something that works, they can. While mouse guns aren't the best choice, getting one with a DeSantis pocket holster is still better than being unarmed, at least for me. So far, once I've gotten someone to agree to carry at least a few times, I've found that a few turns into a lot. It is somehow getting past that initial discomfort.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

mojo84 wrote:Some believe the odds of needing a weapon are so in their favor they do not see a need to carry consistently. Realistically, what are the odds?

Being in the insurance business, I am accustomed to being prepared for the extremely small chance of needing a weapon.
Probably about the same at being involved in a car crash severe enough that the seat belt becomes a necessary safety device. The logic and rationale for carrying a tool for defense is well known and tested and almost beyond challenge. There may come a time that you need to defend yourself. The only question will then become...do you or don't you have available a tool that will allow you to do that? Or will you be the person who looks around for a stick or a rock or fumbles around in your purse for a canister of pepper spray hoping that pepper spray will stop a knife wielding, crazed attacker who is charging at you......IF YOU HAVE THAT MUCH TIME?

Appealing to people's intellect to convince them to carry as a precaution has roughly the same percentage of futility as convincing them to wear sunscreen at the beech...or to wear ear protection at a concert.

I love the previous post where people get their LTC but don't carry. They just want the LTC in case some day they will need it!!! :???: :banghead: :headscratch :confused5

When the day comes they need it....it won't be that LTC that helps them....but the gun the LTC allows them to carry that will.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chasfm11 »

Isn't part of this like exercise equipment? Many people buy it, know it is good for them and maybe even have a doctor yelling at them (like mine at me) that they need to exercise more. They know they should and took the first steps toward doing it but.....

I like the story of the doctor who convinced a woman to get up and march in place during the commercials while watching TV. He knew that wasn't going to help her by itself. But the idea of getting started gave her confidence. When she figured out that exercise wasn't as hard as she thought, she begin doing it more and finally got into a routine about it.

I just wish that my exercise regime was as consistent as my carrying. :biggrinjester:
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

rob777

Post by rob777 »

I know a few license holders that simply don't want to carry but do want the license for reciprocity and/or travel benefits (having a loaded, readily accessible handgun in the car).
"Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”