Can I renew license that expired 5 years ago

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mloamiller
Posts in topic: 3

Can I renew license that expired 5 years ago

Post by mloamiller »

Is there a time limit for how old an expired CHL is before I can no longer "renew" it, but have to start over with a new application?

I friend allowed his CHL to expire 5-6 years ago and was asking if he could simply renew it or if he had to submit a brand new application. I couldn't find an answer in any of the FAQs on the DPS website.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Can I renew license that expired 5 years ago

Post by RPBrown »

That long ago he will have to start over. My daughter did the same thing 3-4 years ago
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

apostate

Post by apostate »

GC §411.185 seems to cover it.

Topic author
mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

apostate wrote:GC §411.185 seems to cover it.
That seems to say there is no grace period - if you're one day past your expiration date, you can't renew, but have to submit a new application.
LTC/SSC Instructor

infoman

Post by infoman »

You have 1 year from your expiration to renew. If it's been more than 1 year you must start over as a new applicant.

Topic author
mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

infoman wrote:You have 1 year from your expiration to renew. If it's been more than 1 year you must start over as a new applicant.
Do you know where that is stated? As noted above, § 411.185 License Renewal Procedure states "To renew a license, a license holder must, on or before the date the license expires..." That doesn't seem to allow a lapse of any amount of time.
LTC/SSC Instructor

jmra

Post by jmra »

mloamiller wrote:
infoman wrote:You have 1 year from your expiration to renew. If it's been more than 1 year you must start over as a new applicant.
Do you know where that is stated? As noted above, § 411.185 License Renewal Procedure states "To renew a license, a license holder must, on or before the date the license expires..." That doesn't seem to allow a lapse of any amount of time.
The 1 year grace period is not law. It is a policy adopted by DPS.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

:iagree: My daughter renewed her LTC within the one year grace period. They even changed it to her married name. She got within about a month's time frame, too. Kudos to DPS
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

mloamiller wrote:
That is not a law but an administrative policy and according to my understanding can be changed at the will of the department.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

infoman

Post by infoman »

Texas Administrative Code, Title 37, Part 1, Chapter 6, Subchapter B, Rule 6.15. "Renewal of License"

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

infoman wrote:Texas Administrative Code, Title 37, Part 1, Chapter 6, Subchapter B, Rule 6.15. "Renewal of License"
Here's a link to the rule https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/r ... ch=6&rl=15
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

I'm reviving this one because someone asked me today about renewing an expired license. I told her there was a one year grace period. I remembered this topic and wanted to verify my answer. When I followed the link I found that Texas Administrative Code, Title 37, Part 1, Chapter 6, Subchapter B had been updated on March 15, 2017. License renewal is now 6.16. Obviously a new rule was added but I don't know which one.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”