Other state LEO carrying at Texas school

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TresHuevos
Posts in topic: 1

Other state LEO carrying at Texas school

Post by TresHuevos »

Yesterday at a sporting event I noticed a New Mexico State Police officer in uniform and with his duty weapon at an on campus sporting event at an El Paso high school. We were about 9 miles from the border at this school. He was obviously off duty and cheering on a family member. Just wondering if this is legal or just something accepted. I know there are a few NMSP officers who live in the west part of the county, I have seen their take home vehicles parked in front of their homes.
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic deeds." - C.S. Lewis
My State Rep Joe Moody is a liberal puke who won't even acknowledge my communications with him. How about yours?

Jusme

Re: Other state LEO carrying at Texas school

Post by Jusme »

TresHuevos wrote:Yesterday at a sporting event I noticed a New Mexico State Police officer in uniform and with his duty weapon at an on campus sporting event at an El Paso high school. We were about 9 miles from the border at this school. He was obviously off duty and cheering on a family member. Just wondering if this is legal or just something accepted. I know there are a few NMSP officers who live in the west part of the county, I have seen their take home vehicles parked in front of their homes.

Yes LEO, even from other States, on duty or off are allowed to carry. This is why I hope we get some removal of restrictions for LTC holders, because, we are even more law abiding than LEO.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

Jusme wrote:
TresHuevos wrote:Yesterday at a sporting event I noticed a New Mexico State Police officer in uniform and with his duty weapon at an on campus sporting event at an El Paso high school. We were about 9 miles from the border at this school. He was obviously off duty and cheering on a family member. Just wondering if this is legal or just something accepted. I know there are a few NMSP officers who live in the west part of the county, I have seen their take home vehicles parked in front of their homes.

Yes LEO, even from other States, on duty or off are allowed to carry. This is why I hope we get some removal of restrictions for LTC holders, because, we are even more law abiding than LEO.
Except by Federal law where carrying in a school is prohibited, except for LEOs "on official business", or people licensed by the State.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

LEO's better not try doing that in some states. I know some cops who have gone to New York, even on official business, and have been told that if they aren't NY cops, they better not get caught with guns.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

RossA wrote:LEO's better not try doing that in some states. I know some cops who have gone to New York, even on official business, and have been told that if they aren't NY cops, they better not get caught with guns.
There have already been cases in New York that held that LEOSA applies (PA Sheriff Deputy in NYC), but carrying in a school by an officer not on official business is a Federal crime under GFSZA and is not excepted by LEOSA. And even if excepted by LEOSA, gun may not be carried openly.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”