CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Jago668
Posts in topic: 1

Multiple Intruders

Post by Jago668 »

http://www.fox4news.com/news/235911009-story

Why I like to sleep with my AR next to my bed. First couple of shots would probably send them running, but still like having the extra rounds.
NRA Benefactor Member

magillapd

Re: Multiple Intruders

Post by magillapd »

Also nice to have multipule armed home defenders. Ideal would be a good trained dog or two in addition to AR /12GA. A good home alarm system is also a good. (Not ADT)
“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

One of the reports said today that the victim tried to get to a firearm, but the intruders had kicked open their bedroom door before he could get to his firearm. This is not far from our church. About two weeks ago there was another home invasion just about two blocks south of this location.

The same kind of MO was used I believe in Plano yesterday. Business owners with a center block thrown through their window.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Started speaking in tongues, she says.

OK...

Next time, try an AR or 12 gauge instead.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

magillapd wrote:Also nice to have multipule armed home defenders. Ideal would be a good trained dog or two in addition to AR /12GA. A good home alarm system is also a good. (Not ADT)
Why do you say 'Not ADT'?. Can you share information as to why that is a bad company to use?
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

karder

Post by karder »

A good dog is the best alarm system you can get.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

karder wrote:A good dog is the best alarm system you can get.
Second best.

I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

Vol Texan wrote:
magillapd wrote:Also nice to have multipule armed home defenders. Ideal would be a good trained dog or two in addition to AR /12GA. A good home alarm system is also a good. (Not ADT)
Why do you say 'Not ADT'?. Can you share information as to why that is a bad company to use?

This...

ADT is fine.
The best function of an alarm is the audible noise it makes when an entrance or window is breached.
There's at least 10-15 seconds between that noise and the time any 'bad guy' gets to me and I'll be ready to defend myself by then.

ADT can be a bit pricey, but the physical alarm and sensors put in place are as good as any system. ADT is responsible for monitoring, and they're about as good as any in my experience.

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Suppressed Ar9 SBR with 30 rd glock mag and 30 round backup mag should do the job.
I am still trying to find a way to mount the extra ETS mag to my rail, since I will most likely be in my undies during a home invasion and a mag down the undies isn't going to be "tactical" haha.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

locke_n_load wrote:Suppressed Ar9 SBR with 30 rd glock mag and 30 round backup mag should do the job.
I am still trying to find a way to mount the extra ETS mag to my rail, since I will most likely be in my undies during a home invasion and a mag down the undies isn't going to be "tactical" haha.
I use a Redi-Mag for my 300BLK next to my bed. I am not for sure if they make one for a AR9 or not, but I love the Redi-Mag.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

locke_n_load wrote:Suppressed Ar9 SBR with 30 rd glock mag and 30 round backup mag should do the job.
With a small piece of wood and some duct tape, you should be able to duplicate the function of a Magpul MagLink coupler.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Scott in Houston wrote:
Vol Texan wrote:
[*][*]
This...

ADT is fine.
The best function of an alarm is the audible noise it makes when an entrance or window is breached.
There's at least 10-15 seconds between that noise and the time any 'bad guy' gets to me and I'll be ready to defend myself by then.

ADT can be a bit pricey, but the physical alarm and sensors put in place are as good as any system. ADT is responsible for monitoring, and they're about as good as any in my experience.
I can't speak for ADT......we use a different service.....but we have several options when setting the alarm:
  1. "Away", with and without "entry delay": if "entry delay" is NOT selected, the alarm is triggered whenever the perimeter is penetrated, inncluding glass-break sensors, door and window sensors; and indoors motion detectors. When triggered, the system's klaxons/sirens emits all the usual loud and obnoxious noises, and the monitoring center generates a phone call to my cellphone, and the police are called. If "entry delay" is selected, then there is a 30 second delay between when the alarm is triggered, and when all the rest of the stuff happens.
  2. "Stay", without and without "entry delay": behaves the same way as above EXCEPT the internal motion detectors are switched off.
When we go to bed at night, we arm the system to the "Stay - no entry delay" setting. We also have a dog who barks whenever a flea farts two counties over. I keep a suppressed .300 Blackout SBR with three 30-round mags of subsonics and a mag of supersonics handy by the bed.......not to mention a couple of pistols and a shotgun. The dog barks at the drop of a hat. I don't really need to keep the system armed during the day, because there just isn't any way that a home invasion squad can get anywhere near my front door without my being alerted to their presence by the video cameras, etc.

And then there's the phone apps. I once declined a sales offer for new windows from a salesman standing right outside my front door..........while I was westbound on I-40, somewhere near Gallup, New Mexico. I could see him and talk to him, but he had no idea I was 800 miles from home.

But, there's only so much you can do. The determined and experienced home invaders are going to invade your home - whether or not you're prepared to meet them on the domestic battlefield, and no matter how much you invest in alarm and weapon systems. You can only do so much. It's just like with gun safes. You can bolt them to the floor and invest thousands in the highest quality safes, but if someone is truly determined to get your guns, they WILL get them. You can only hope to slow them down enough to make it not worth the effort to the casual or opportunistic thief. It's the same for the rest of your home/property. You can invest in alarm systems, dogs, and guns; but the determined professional home invader is going to get in, kill you (if you're home), and take your stuff. All you can do is slow down the opportunistic and the lazy. It's a harsh truth. The only thing you are left then is to have a plan for when it does happen (IF it does happen), and then train to a level to make that plan executable when the flag goes up. All the alarm systems, dogs, and guns in the world will just slow them down if you don't know what to do when/if it does happen.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

Good stuff TAM. We're on the same page.

The most important function of my alarm system is to give me time to react when home in order to protect my family.
There really isn't any 'stuff' in my house that I care *that* much about. My most valued things are worthless to most... pictures, etc.

Lambda Force

Post by Lambda Force »

Have you tried one of these floorplates?

:eek6
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”