CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
BlacknBlue
Posts in topic: 1

Certifying family members for LTC

Post by BlacknBlue »

Greetings,

New guy here. Should an LTC instructor certify a spouse or should the certification be performed by another LTC instructor? What are your thoughts, why/why not?

KC5AV

Re: Certifying family members for LTC

Post by KC5AV »

I am an LTC instructor, as well as a ham radio volunteer examiner. The guidelines for being a VE state specifically that we aren't allowed to oversee exams for family members. I see no such prohibition in the LTC guidelines.
NRA lifetime member

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

I certified my wife, but I did not fudge on it. I would not let her take the class until she passed the Proficiency. Due to health reasons, it took several months. She didn't do as well as she could have, but she passed on her own.

I agree it looks like a conflict of interest. Probably not every instructor is as strict as I am about following rules.

{;~0
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Wouldn't a simple phone call the TDPS be a better way to find out. I personally don't have a problem with it. Instructors risk losing their license if it's found they are not following the law. But there's always that one individual that thinks he's smarter than the law and everyone else. :lol: Also I doubt the instructor can interfere with background checks which is the most important thing.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

DPS does not have a rule prohibiting it, so yes you can. I specifically asked DPS about this many years ago when my wife and sons were coming up for renewal. They had no problem with them attending my class or me signing their CHL-100s.

An honest instructor will not cheat on a family members class or form; a dishonest instructor will cheat on anyone's form. Luckily, there are very few of the latter.

Chas.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I certified my wife, son, both DIL, my SIL husband, 1 DIL father, and 1 DIL mother.

No problem. They were students just like any other.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

On the CHL/LTC side I have instructed son, D-I-L, B-I-L, wife, and S-I-L. In my other life (several years ago) gave flight instruction to daughter and signed her off for solo, cross-country, and recommendation for FAA check ride. if you are an honest instructor and keep the same standards for all students, I don't see the problem. Yes, in most things I do treat family a bit differently, I hold them to a higher standard.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I have certified my wife, sons, DIL and her parents,my in-laws and a few cousins. They took the class like anyone else and passed proficiency like anyone else. There was no special treatment given or expected. I don't know of instructors that cheat and for the few out there I hope they get caught.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

We as instructors do not certify anyone. We ARE CERTIFIED to teach the requisite class and to certify that it has been completed as part of the complete application process. It is the DPS who certificates the licensee upon satisfactory completion of all required application items.

And, as stated earlier, there is no prohibition against it. I guess an instructor could just pencil whip out a CHL-100 and CHL-8 saying the spouse passed the written and qualification. Those test scores and targets are not required to be kept so I guess unscrupulous types might be tempted to cheat.

God help the one who gets caught.

tex
Last edited by thetexan on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

We as instructors DO certify that a student has taken the course and passed the test and the shooting proficiency required by the State of Texas. Yes we are certified to do just that. However we do not certify that someone is eligible to receive a LTC, we can only inform them of what the criteria is. The licensing part is between them and the State, instructors only certify the educational requirements and the shooting proficiency, unless the student is eligible to use another form of proven proficiency that the State accepts. :tiphat:

If any instructor pencil whips a CHL100, they would get no sympathy or support from me. There is no reason that can, would or should justify an instructor to act so unscrupulously.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Eric Lamberson

Post by Eric Lamberson »

I certified my wife. She attended one of my classes just like any other student.
Massad Ayoob Group Staff Instructor, NRA Life Member, Pistol instructor, and RSO;
Texas LTC Instructor, IDPA 6-gun Master, Suarez International Affiliate

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

twomillenium wrote:. . . If any instructor pencil whips a CHL100, they would get no sympathy or support from me. There is no reason that can, would or should justify an instructor to act so unscrupulously.
:iagree: DPS takes these cases very seriously and will prosecute every case when proof is available. Also, while falsifying a Texas government document is generally a misdemeanor, it becomes a felony when done for profit.

Chas.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”