Concealed Carry In Your Vehicle

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mjdinsa78217
Posts in topic: 2

Concealed Carry In Your Vehicle

Post by mjdinsa78217 »

Since TX takes the view of no part of the weapon can be visible inside your vehicle, are there shops that can outfit vehicles for concealed carry?

So many shops around to "trick" out the doors and rims, where are the shops for us?

Jusme

Re: Concealed Carry In Your Vehicle

Post by Jusme »

mjdinsa78217 wrote:Since TX takes the view of no part of the weapon can be visible inside your vehicle, are there shops that can outfit vehicles for concealed carry?

So many shops around to "trick" out the doors and rims, where are the shops for us?
Welcome to the forum! :tiphat:

I don't know of any shops, that specialize in ways to modify your vehicle to conceal a gun. There are several products that you can buy to do that, from quick release holsters, console mounts, etc..

Also if you have your LTC, you do not have to conceal it in a vehicle, as long as it is on your person in a belt or shoulder holster.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MeMelYup »

If you travel in other than Texas you may want to be careful of the built in hidden compartment. In some states it's against the law.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Now that we have OC in Texas, do we still need to completely conceal a handgun in the vehicle while driving?
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Maxwell wrote:Now that we have OC in Texas, do we still need to completely conceal a handgun in the vehicle while driving?

We probably shouldn't "need to" but unless it is on your person in a belt or shoulder holster, it must be concealed. They still have not changed the requirement.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

apostate
Posts in topic: 3

Post by apostate »

Maxwell wrote:Now that we have OC in Texas, do we still need to completely conceal a handgun in the vehicle while driving?
Those with a LTC may carry in a shoulder or belt holster without having to conceal. Those carrying under MPA must still conceal.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

mjdinsa78217 wrote:Since TX takes the view of no part of the weapon can be visible inside your vehicle, are there shops that can outfit vehicles for concealed carry?

You can open carry inside your vehicle if you have an LTC. Get your license, and they you don't need to spend money on modifying your vehicle.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

There are very affordable methods to conceal your handgun inside your vehicle while driving. Check out the towels aisle at Walmart.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Jusme wrote:

We probably shouldn't "need to" but unless it is on your person in a belt or shoulder holster, it must be concealed. They still have not changed the requirement.
Your verbiage on the law is not correct.
(a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place. It is an exception to the application of this subsection that the handgun was partially or wholly visible but was carried in a shoulder or belt holster by the license holder.
It may be open to interpretation what the verbiage actually means, but people inquiring about the law should not be given generalities unless case law has been made on the subject or the wording makes it impossible to misunderstand. I don't think either can be said about open carry in a holster not on the actual license holder (thanks TX legislature!).
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

apostate

Post by apostate »

My understanding is there is a century or more of case law regarding what is "on or about" my person, but do as you wish.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

locke_n_load wrote:but people inquiring about the law should not be...
....taking anything said on a public forum as legitimate legal advice.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

apostate wrote:My understanding is there is a century or more of case law regarding what is "on or about" my person, but do as you wish.
But there is not a century of case law on the meaning of "carried in a shoulder or belt holster"...
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

apostate

Post by apostate »

ScottDLS wrote:
apostate wrote:My understanding is there is a century or more of case law regarding what is "on or about" my person, but do as you wish.
But there is not a century of case law on the meaning of "carried in a shoulder or belt holster"...
True. True. However, I would advise against mounting a belt holster openly on the steering wheel unless they're itching to be a test case, but IANAL. ;-)

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

bblhd672 wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:but people inquiring about the law should not be...
....taking anything said on a public forum as legitimate legal advice.
Very very true!
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

apostate wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
True. True. However, I would advise against mounting a belt holster openly on the steering wheel unless they're itching to be a test case, but IANAL. ;-)
Yep. Always wondered if under my steering column in my lifted truck is "public view"? Not willing to find out.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”