Carry At A State Park?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Kolamer
Posts in topic: 2

Carry At A State Park?

Post by Kolamer »

This weekend my family and some friends may be going out to a local state park to check out the hiking trails. Before we go I wanted to double check to make sure it was okay to carry there. I did a quick search online to see if there would be any issues. I keep finding stuff that is old and conflicting with each other.

Can anyone clarify for me? I want to assume that is since it is government owned property but I figured better safe than sorry.

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Carry At A State Park?

Post by AJSully421 »

If it is state, it is legal. Beware of private entities who think they can post signs.

The folks at Mineral Wells were not happy I was OCing, but couldn't do anything about it.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

And be sure it isn't an ACOE-owned recreational area.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

KLB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KLB »

The legislature made it pretty clear that governmental entities are limited in the circumstances under which they can restrict carry. State-level bodies have had to get with the program. At least I am not aware of state-level bodies (other than universities) trying to game the rules. But political subdivisions are entirely different stories. What you can do in a state park might lead to trouble in some county or municipal parks. Counties and political subdivisions have no problem enforcing the law against us. But having to conform to it themselves is a real downer.

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

AJSully421 wrote:If it is state, it is legal. Beware of private entities who think they can post signs.

The folks at Mineral Wells were not happy I was OCing, but couldn't do anything about it.
What private entities did you have an issue with at Mineral Wells?

I also OC'd at the park and they either didn't notice or didn't care. I will note that is was extremely cold out and I had on tons of clothes.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I can't find it right now, but I was able to locate a website that listed the owner of all state parks in Texas. Ray Roberts, for example, is ACOE. No carry, from what I understand.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Topic author
Kolamer

Post by Kolamer »

AJSully421 wrote:If it is state, it is legal. Beware of private entities who think they can post signs.

Mineral Wells is where we are going.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:I can't find it right now, but I was able to locate a website that listed the owner of all state parks in Texas. Ray Roberts, for example, is ACOE. No carry, from what I understand.
Kinda frustrating when it's that obscure. On the TPWD Ray Roberts State Park web sitehere's virtually no indication whatsoever that it's a COE place. I finally did find this quote on it's "History" page:

"TPWD operates Ray Roberts Lake State Park under lease from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the cities of Dallas and Denton."

This is really nuts. So if you're out there with your family and you're attacked by a feral hog or stray dog, etc. what are you supposed to do, throw rocks at it?

It'd be nice to see an accurate list of all the Texas State Parks where carry is not allowed.
-Ruark

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

IANAL but IIRC the ACoE rules prohibit loaded firearms.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

steveincowtown wrote:

What private entities did you have an issue with at Mineral Wells?

I also OC'd at the park and they either didn't notice or didn't care. I will note that is was extremely cold out and I had on tons of clothes.
None at Mineral Wells, but I seem to remember reading about a tram in or around El Paso that is/was posted.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Kolamer wrote:

Mineral Wells is where we are going.

Fun place, the back trails are fun. One of the rangers was telling me how he never OCs off duty and how he prefers concealing... basically "I want you to conceal your OC pistol you have there" without actually saying it.

Do what you want, OC with a day pack is much more comfortable. Either way, you are legal with a valid license.

Dreamer42

Post by Dreamer42 »

It has been my understanding that COE restricts on the water only.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Dreamer42 wrote:It has been my understanding that COE restricts on the water only.
Nope; U.S. Title 36, Chapter III applies to all property under ACOE control, land and water:
§312.1 Areas covered.
The regulation covered in this part shall be applicable to all water resource project lands under the supervision of the Secretary of the Army....
And is clarified in:
§ 327.1 Policy.
  • (c) The term "project" or "water resources development project" refers to the water areas of any water resources development project administered by the Chief of Engineers, without regard to ownership of underlying land, to all lands owned in fee by the Federal Government and to all facilities therein or thereon of any such water resources development project.
But ACOE allows exceptions on case-by-case bases to:
§327.13 Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
  • (a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:
    • (1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;
      (2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under §327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;
      (3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
      (4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.
    (b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the District Commander.
But to understand those exceptions, there's really no way other than to drill down into information about a particular park, lake, or recreational area you're thinking of visiting.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”