Drew my gun on Monday

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Drew my gun on Monday

Post by Jusme »

Pariah3j wrote:One key lesson to take away from this - as my grandfather always said, "Locks only keep honest men honest..." - thus far I've never found a truer saying.

I also dabble in lockpicking as a hobby - once you go down that road, you don't look at locked doors as doing anything other then being designed to slow down a properly motivated person. I've never looked into defeating the security swipe locks at hotels, but I imagine they wouldn't be that hard to defeat with a little knowhow.

I would imagine that a master key card could be obtained from an unattended housekeeping cart, an unlocked maintenance room, or a vacated front desk. The "lost" card would then be replaced upon request of the employee who had it taken. Even if they "changed the codes", the same thing could happen again.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Jusme wrote:
Pariah3j wrote:One key lesson to take away from this - as my grandfather always said, "Locks only keep honest men honest..." - thus far I've never found a truer saying.

I also dabble in lockpicking as a hobby - once you go down that road, you don't look at locked doors as doing anything other then being designed to slow down a properly motivated person. I've never looked into defeating the security swipe locks at hotels, but I imagine they wouldn't be that hard to defeat with a little knowhow.

I would imagine that a master key card could be obtained from an unattended housekeeping cart, an unlocked maintenance room, or a vacated front desk. The "lost" card would then be replaced upon request of the employee who had it taken. Even if they "changed the codes", the same thing could happen again.
Well I believe the master code/key can be changed, a new master key would have to be made or stolen each time this happens. But what I was alluding to is there always multiple ways to defeat a lock, he may not even be using some sort of swipe card to get in, he could be defeating them mechanically.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

They're not.

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

I bought one of those wedge door stop alarms for traveling. 120db alarm not only alerts me but will scare the person opening the door.
Ron
NRA Member

Mxrdad

Post by Mxrdad »

Lynyrd wrote: Good for you for being ready. :thumbs2: And good for you for not shooting! :patriot:
Ditto. Good job with the Spidey Senses.
Just some guy's opinion.

TexasSully

Post by TexasSully »

Would you mind telling us which hotel? I stay in Dallas almost weekly and want to avoid staying here.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I just wedge a couple of door shims at the bottom of the door....it won't budge. One of my wife's doors won't lock at her "gun free" University and that is what she keeps in her purse.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I'm staying in a hotel right now, but it's in Amsterdam, so being armed is not an option.....

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

The guy might also have been in collusion with a maid or other employee. My friend had a laptop stolen in a scheme, where the maid would leave room doors ajar after cleaning if the room had any valuables laying about. Then the accomplice would come by and get easy pickings without the maid being implicated.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

oohrah wrote:The guy might also have been in collusion with a maid or other employee. My friend had a laptop stolen in a scheme, where the maid would leave room doors ajar after cleaning if the room had any valuables laying about. Then the accomplice would come by and get easy pickings without the maid being implicated.
I am not an expert on the subject, but I thought that most hotels had a record of the key cards that were used to enter rooms, so in this example, there would be a pattern of the maid's card being the last one used (other than the guest), followed by a theft report. May not be enough to convict, but after a couple instances, it seems like the hotel would sever employment.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
oohrah wrote:The guy might also have been in collusion with a maid or other employee. My friend had a laptop stolen in a scheme, where the maid would leave room doors ajar after cleaning if the room had any valuables laying about. Then the accomplice would come by and get easy pickings without the maid being implicated.
I am not an expert on the subject, but I thought that most hotels had a record of the key cards that were used to enter rooms, so in this example, there would be a pattern of the maid's card being the last one used (other than the guest), followed by a theft report. May not be enough to convict, but after a couple instances, it seems like the hotel would sever employment.
They did eventually catch them, that's how my friend found out. Never got his laptop back, tho. I mean, criminals for the most part are pretty stupid.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Glad your alright .Sad that you had to pull gun.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Topic author
Nuts
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Nuts »

Well, after finally talking to the owner of the hotel that said basically sorry but we aren't going to do anything to raise security to catch this guy. Plus the the seemly un concern from corporate, I'm going to switch hotel chains for my work travel. Now as a ex diamond elite rewards member for choice hotels does anyone have another hotel chain that they would recommend with good rewards? I'm going to Nashville in the next week or two for a week and need to stay around the $100 a night range.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Holiday inn has a good program, Some hotels give little reception bags with water chips or candy .. I have found the Holiday Express breakfast a step up from Choice ... Points don't seem to build up as fast as Choice though.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

If you mentioned which chain you were staying at, I missed it. So sorry in advance if I recommend the brand you're ditching.

I will agree that the Holiday Inn Express locations I've stayed at have been very good. The people were friendly; the rooms were clean; they had wifi, and the free breakfast was good.

I usually try to stay in Hilton affiliated hotels. Not the actual Hiltons most of the time, as they are really expensive, but the lower tier chains under their umbrella. I have had very few complaints. Even at the more budget locations, I have been treated really well. Their standard for customer satisfaction seems to be very high.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Just realized Choice Hotels is the brand you were talking about. I didn't realize that was a company name. That's too bad, as I have had pretty good luck with Comfort Inn/Suites in the past.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”