McLennan Community College Campus Carry Policy Announced

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
oohrah
Posts in topic: 2

McLennan Community College Campus Carry Policy Announced

Post by oohrah »

This was in the Waco Trib today. Close to my heart, because I take an occasional class there. Seems pretty reasonable, all in all:

Prohibited zones
The policy lists zones where handguns remain prohibited:
The Community Service Center, including the Child Development Center, playground and classrooms 108 and 109
The Community Service Center, including the Community Health Clinic
Board of Regents meeting locations
Premises of any college event where alcohol is being served by an organization under Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission rules and regulations
Premises of any UIL-sanctioned competition
The MCC Ballpark complex and Highland Gym, when sporting events are taking place
The Counseling Center in the Math and Wellness Building.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Re: McLennan Community College Campus Carry Policy Announced

Post by mojo84 »

Seems too broad and restrictive to me.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

omegaman

Post by omegaman »

Just curious oohrah...why do you consider not allowing LTCs to carry in these zones as "pretty reasonable"?

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

on the face of it, it doesn't look too different from other colleges. But the Trib article is kind of weasel worded, and the actual policy document and/or exclusion list hasn't been posted on the Campus Carry page yet.

I.e, I assume there's more in the CSC than just the health clinic and the child development center and classrooms 108 & 109. Depending on the internal building architecture, excluding the whole building may be excessive.
Are the "board of regents meeting locations" excluded ALL THE TIME, or just when the meetings are taking place? And what specific room(s) is/are involved?
Ditto for "Premises of any UIL-sanctioned competition".
“Once you have the policy, that’s the beginning,” McKown said. “It’s not the end. If you have a policy, it has to be a living policy.”
Building signs notifying prohibitions of guns will be in place by Aug. 1.
I guess we wait and see, concerning documents, room/building sign postings, and what sort of after-the-fact changes "living policy" portends...

Waco Trib article
http://www.wacotrib.com/news/higher_edu ... 90cc3.html

MCC Campus Carry page
http://www.mclennan.edu/campus-carry/

MCC map
http://www.mclennan.edu/campus/MCC_Campus_Map.pdf
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Waco1959

Post by Waco1959 »

I.e, I assume there's more in the CSC than just the health clinic and the child development center and classrooms 108 & 109. Depending on the internal building architecture, excluding the whole building may be excessive.
Are the "board of regents meeting locations" excluded ALL THE TIME, or just when the meetings are taking place? And what specific room(s) is/are involved?
Ditto for "Premises of any UIL-sanctioned competition".
The facts in Trib articles tend to be scrambled or creatively interpreted. I think many of their reporters have hearing problems or can't read their own notes.

Many of the non-credit classes were in the CSC at one time and I assume that is still true. Based on the way the article is written I wonder if the CSC building is only intended to have the CDC, Clinic, and the two classrooms be off-limits. The facts in Trib articles tend to be scrambled or creatively interpreted. I think many of their reporters having

The board of regents used to meet in different locations depending if was an open meeting and the expected turnout. Once again I think the intent was "when meeting" and the Trib didn't get it right.

I don't think they can be more specific about the UIL events. I know they have used the Performing Arts Center, Gym, Math and Wellness, and ballfields for events at different times.

Topic author
oohrah
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oohrah »

omegaman wrote:Just curious oohrah...why do you consider not allowing LTCs to carry in these zones as "pretty reasonable"?
Because the CSC is not even on the main campus and is not an academic venue, and the few other restrictions, except sporting venues, are where most students hardly ever go anyway. So, this is hardly restrictive at all, and won't affect the large majority of students and faculty.

It's also interesting note that just over 50% of MCC students are over the age of 21.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”