Hi, am I eligible..wanted extra money when I was 18yrs

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Xenu45
Posts in topic: 2

Hi, am I eligible..wanted extra money when I was 18yrs

Post by Xenu45 »

So I finally got healthy enough to take the course/class after having an aortic dissection. I am starting the process but i do not have a clean record. When I was 18yr I decided to make some quick cash and drove a truck loaded with weed (23 pounds) and was caught at a check point inside the US. After court I took a plea of deferred adjudication and was given 5 years felony probation which i completed with no problems. I later became a nurse and worked for 18 years at a long term care facility, I had to do some declarations (Board of Nursing) to get my nursing license in nursing school, but it was not and issue and have a clear good standing nursing licences till this day. I recently purchased a handgun and it was delayed for about 10 days then they called and informed to go forward with the purchase. I used to settle disputes with my fist if i could not get away, but now my health and medication (warfarin) prevent me form any hand to hand combat. I am the type of person who avoids trouble, but my luck is bad with people starting conflicts, being bullied..been beaten a few times..even dogs have been aggressive towards me lately. At this point in my life i just want to live in peace but a simple act of aggression from anybody could be fatal due to my blood thinning medication. Could i qualify for a CHL? Thank You!
Last edited by Xenu45 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Hi, am I eligible..wanted extra money when I was 18yrs

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I'll let the lawyers answer this one as far as the legalities go. Your need for a carry permit seems very legitimate to me, but I suspect that the answer will depend on whether your felony charges were state or federal. 23 lbs of weed is a LOT of weed, and I have no idea if the Feds ever allow deferred adjudication. OTH, the Feds did allow your purchase of a handgun, hence my own uncertainty about a specific answer.

Was the checkpoint where you were stopped a federal, state, or local checkpoint?

In the meantime, if you were able to lawfully purchase a handgun, then you are certainly legally allowed to have a handgun in your vehicle under the MPA, as long as it is concealed from direct view. It can be concealed on your person, or elsewhere in the car. Even under a towel on the passenger seat is legal, although not a very secure way to have a firearm stored. But keep in mind that if it is concealed on your person, then before you can exit the vehicle to pump gas or something like that, you have to disarm and conceal the gun inside the car.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

BTW, good luck with your continued recovery. I have witnessed several deaths from dissected aortic aneurysms. You're very luck to be alive. If you're a praying man, send me a PM with your prayer needs and I'll add you to my Lifegroup's prayer list.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Xenu45
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Xenu45 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I'll let the lawyers answer this one as far as the legalities go. Your need for a carry permit seems very legitimate to me, but I suspect that the answer will depend on whether your felony charges were state or federal. 23 lbs of weed is a LOT of weed, and I have no idea if the Feds ever allow deferred adjudication. OTH, the Feds did allow your purchase of a handgun, hence my own uncertainty about a specific answer.

Was the checkpoint where you were stopped a federal, state, or local checkpoint?

In the meantime, if you were able to lawfully purchase a handgun, then you are certainly legally allowed to have a handgun in your vehicle under the MPA, as long as it is concealed from direct view. It can be concealed on your person, or elsewhere in the car. Even under a towel on the passenger seat is legal, although not a very secure way to have a firearm stored. But keep in mind that if it is concealed on your person, then before you can exit the vehicle to pump gas or something like that, you have to disarm and conceal the gun inside the car.
Is was back in 1994, it was the check point when coming from south Texas, from Mcallen about 73 miles north heading to Corpus, Border Patrol has a check point, its been there for over 40 years..it was a 3rd degree felony!

The Annoyed Man

Xenu45 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:I'll let the lawyers answer this one as far as the legalities go. Your need for a carry permit seems very legitimate to me, but I suspect that the answer will depend on whether your felony charges were state or federal. 23 lbs of weed is a LOT of weed, and I have no idea if the Feds ever allow deferred adjudication. OTH, the Feds did allow your purchase of a handgun, hence my own uncertainty about a specific answer.

Is was back in 1994, it was the check point when coming from south Texas, from Mcallen about 73 miles north heading to Corpus, Border Patrol has a check point, its been there for over 40 years..it was a 3rd degree felony!
I don't know that it matters..... I assume that it was BP that found the weed, but was it BP that arrested you, or did they call in DPS for the arrest?

I found this: http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/re ... -class.htm
Third Degree Felony

A third degree felony is punishable by two to ten years’ imprisonment and a fine of up to $10,000. For example, possession of five to 50 pounds of marijuana is a third degree felony.

(Tex. Penal Code Ann. § 12.34.)

For more information on crimes involving marijuana, see Texas Marijuana Laws.
And this: http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/ma ... /texas.htm
Marijuana Possession

It is a crime to possess marijuana in Texas. Penalties vary according to the amount possessed, with increased penalties for offenses in a drug free school zone. (Texas Stat. and Code Ann. § 481.121.)
  • Two ounces or less. Penalties include a fine of up to $2,000, up to 180 days in jail, or both.
  • More than two ounces, but less than four ounces. Penalties include a fine of up to $4,000, up to one year in jail, or both.
  • Four ounces or more, up to and including five pounds. Penalties include a fine of up to $10,000, between 180 days and two years in prison, or both.
  • More than five pounds, up to and including 50 pounds. Penalties include a fine of up to $10,000, between two and ten years in prison, or both.
  • More than 50 pounds, up to and including 2,000 pounds. Penalties include a fine of up to $10,000, between two and 20 years in prison, or both.
  • More than 2,000 pounds. Penalties include a fine of up to $50,000, between five and 99 years in prison, or both.
It sounds like you were charged under Texas law rather federal law. But again, I'm no lawyer, so I wouldn't want to give any advice here, except to say that if you DO apply, you'll most likely have to provide all of the documentation of your charges and their resolution, including the fulfillment of your deferred adjudication, along with your application paperwork.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”