2017 Houston Rodeo

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 3

2017 Houston Rodeo

Post by TreyHouston »

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: let it begin AGAIN for this year!

So headed to the Rodeo for military day. Although "we" are not authorized to be responsible enough to carry a weapon at home only in uniform, (or drink) . Is the Rodeo still posted? Did someone message ne already send the letter complaining?
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 2017 Houston Rodeo

Post by locke_n_load »

I will find out tomorrow.
But I'm 99% sure they are still posting and denying entry to anyone carrying.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Your pain is justifiable. I'm afraid that the powers that be, and politcal leaders, in Houston are so far out of touch, and so far liberal bent that I may never want to visit there again.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Isn't the rodeo a professional sporting event?
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Topic author
TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Maxwell wrote:Isn't the rodeo a professional sporting event?
The actual Rodeo part is only 1/4 of the attraction and takes place inside Reliant Stadium (separate security). Other events are the live stock show (separate building) , carnival, separated with fences, and the fun parking lot where most of the violent crime occurs. Yes, I counted that as an event. It is an event, finding you truck, then trying to get out! Sometimes it can take longer then any events mentioned above!

Nuts

Post by Nuts »

The last time I went to the rodeo about 4 years ago, i took my wife and son to the carnival. They did everything just short of a strip search and while that was that was going on, I watched them just wave through a group of gang members. I haven't been back and until the signs come down I have better things to do.

eieio1

Post by eieio1 »

Went last night. Both 30.06 and 30.07 posted at ticket booths.
NRA Life Member
NRA RSO
NRA Instructor - Rifle and Shotgun

roadkill

Post by roadkill »

eieio1 wrote:Went last night. Both 30.06 and 30.07 posted at ticket booths.
San Antonio was the same way. I just carried on. No wanding or pat downs there.

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

And that is why I will not participate in military appreciation day.

txyaloo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txyaloo »

roadkill wrote:
eieio1 wrote:Went last night. Both 30.06 and 30.07 posted at ticket booths.
San Antonio was the same way. I just carried on. No wanding or pat downs there.
They're wanding in Houston, but doing a poor job. Their "security" team never wands feet/boots from what I've seen. I stuck mine in my boot and used my knife as a diversion. I beeped going through the large detector and the wand stopped at my knife. They were satisfied at that point.

I stopped at one of the portajohns directly inside and moved my holster back to my belt.

Topic author
TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Went today for military day, I beeped in uniform and they waved through. Instinctively I pointed to my boots even though that wasn't what beeped, it was probably my belt. I was not carrying. Had a great time and there were a lot of young men in uniform with their kids of course. Most looked like kids in my eyes! Didn't notice any signs but I'm sure they where probably there. With the kids, I sometimes have tunnel vision!

nonleg

Post by nonleg »

As long as your're not going to the "sporting event", carry. At the Fannin entrance, avoid the metal detectors with the helpful but misguided volunteers, and go find the cops that are usually in the golf cart near the vehicle entrance. "Hi sir, I will not be entering the sporting event premises just wondering if you can check my CHL and let me rejoin my family on the other side."

If the cop is under 45 years old, he'll probably start to complain, but request a more seasoned officer and they'll know better. That's how I've been waved through for the last 2 or 3 years. Just being posted with legal signage requirements doesn't mean you are technically restricted on publicly owned property.
Let's not overthink this. Whatever it is.

txyaloo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txyaloo »

nonleg wrote:As long as your're not going to the "sporting event", carry. At the Fannin entrance, avoid the metal detectors with the helpful but misguided volunteers, and go find the cops that are usually in the golf cart near the vehicle entrance. "Hi sir, I will not be entering the sporting event premises just wondering if you can check my CHL and let me rejoin my family on the other side."

If the cop is under 45 years old, he'll probably start to complain, but request a more seasoned officer and they'll know better. That's how I've been waved through for the last 2 or 3 years. Just being posted with legal signage requirements doesn't mean you are technically restricted on publicly owned property.
That's how I've always gone in until the 30.06 signs went up last year. After they went up, LE wasn't really interested in getting involved.

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

When I went to the cookoff (never attending rodeo, not worth it to me) they had metal detectors but had you hold metal objects in your hand held up as you walked through. weirdest way I have ever seen it done, not sure what that accomplished... I had my ipad in my lower back the whole time and it was never noticed.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”