Update! Llano Crawfish Festival

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RicoTX
Posts in topic: 2

Update! Llano Crawfish Festival

Post by RicoTX »

Just FYI, Llano Crawfish Festival will be posted 30.06 again this year. I let them know via email that it was illegal for city property to be posted, but not sure it will matter. I will.contact the City Attorney and see what they have to say.

Anyone else not going because of this?
Last edited by RicoTX on Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

johncanfield
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Llano Crawfish Festival Antigun Again

Post by johncanfield »

So that must mean open carry is okay :fire
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

RicoTX wrote:Just FYI, Llano Crawfish Festival will be posted 30.06 again this year. I let them know via email that it was illegal for city property to be posted, but not sure it will matter. I will.contact the City Attorney and see what they have to say.

Anyone else not going because of this?

I'm not going, but it has to do with geography as much as anything. Let us know, what, if anything you hear from the CA. I looked at the link, but it had no info, that I could find, regarding firearms. Are they using the fact that alcohol will be served as justification? If so they need to have TABC red 51% signage.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

I had thought I'd go, but probably won't if it's posted again .. that's April 21/22nd
I'll be at the Burnet Bluebonnet Festival in a couple hours and all weekend this weekend http://bluebonnetfestival.org/events/

Topic author
RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

Good news folks! I had emailed the Llano City Manager last week, and included a few links. He emailed me tonight and said they had consulted their attorneys and had visited with the organizers of the Crawfish and the sign issue is taken care of.
I am including the email I sent below in case anyone wants to use it for other similar issues....you will need to reword the part about Marble Falls obviously.

I was polite on purpose, as you will note....

###Start of Letter###

Mr. ############

I wanted to contact you regarding an issue that you may not be aware of.
I noticed last year that the Llano Crawfish had posted signs, commonly known as 30.06 and 30.07 signs regarding licensed carry of a handgun by a licensed holder. Essentially, these signs prohibit only those of us who are licensed to carry a handgun by the State of Texas. The signs have no effect on any other member of the public.

I did not contact you last year regarding this issue. However, I have emailed the organizers of the Llano Crawfish, and they inform me that the park will be posted again this year. I have notified them that because the property is owned by the City, it is illegal to be posted with 30.06 or 30.07 signs.

I am including two links below, the first of which is an Attorney General Letter regarding a similar issue.

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/fi ... eserve.pdf

The 2nd is a short article regarding the City of Marble Falls having the same issue at last years May Fest. During the event, I had a conversation with a MFPD officer, who was unaware of the law and unwilling to believe me that it was illegal for the City Park to be posted. Thankfully, this was corrected with a simple letter to the City Manager and Mayor.

http://www.dailytrib.com/2016/05/27/no- ... state-law/

I appreciate your time in addressing this issue. I realize it is impossible for everyone to know all the laws, which is why I wanted to let you know in advance so that you may inform the appropriate departments before the event takes place.

Respectfully,
##Your Name Here##
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Flightmare

Re: Sign Update: Llano Crawfish Festival

Post by Flightmare »

RicoTX wrote:Good news folks! I had emailed the Llano City Manager last week, and included a few links. He emailed me tonight and said they had consulted their attorneys and had visited with the organizers of the Crawfish and the sign issue is taken care of.
I am including the email I sent below in case anyone wants to use it for other similar issues....you will need to reword the part about Marble Falls obviously.

I was polite on purpose, as you will note....

###Start of Letter###

Mr. ############

I wanted to contact you regarding an issue that you may not be aware of.
I noticed last year that the Llano Crawfish had posted signs, commonly known as 30.06 and 30.07 signs regarding licensed carry of a handgun by a licensed holder. Essentially, these signs prohibit only those of us who are licensed to carry a handgun by the State of Texas. The signs have no effect on any other member of the public.

I did not contact you last year regarding this issue. However, I have emailed the organizers of the Llano Crawfish, and they inform me that the park will be posted again this year. I have notified them that because the property is owned by the City, it is illegal to be posted with 30.06 or 30.07 signs.

I am including two links below, the first of which is an Attorney General Letter regarding a similar issue.

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/fi ... eserve.pdf

The 2nd is a short article regarding the City of Marble Falls having the same issue at last years May Fest. During the event, I had a conversation with a MFPD officer, who was unaware of the law and unwilling to believe me that it was illegal for the City Park to be posted. Thankfully, this was corrected with a simple letter to the City Manager and Mayor.

http://www.dailytrib.com/2016/05/27/no- ... state-law/

I appreciate your time in addressing this issue. I realize it is impossible for everyone to know all the laws, which is why I wanted to let you know in advance so that you may inform the appropriate departments before the event takes place.

Respectfully,
##Your Name Here##
Excellent work! Way to go!
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Jusme

Re: Update! Llano Crawfish Festival

Post by Jusme »

Great News!! :anamatedbanana

It's good to know that there are officials willing to listen, and take appropriate action. Have a pound or two for me!! :tiphat:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Off topic, but how exactly did Llano get a Crawfish Festival?
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Great work.

I also must say that it is a shame we need to go to these lengths. It is illegal to bar entry to LTC holders, so we should be able to just call 911 and have the local LEO come out to ensure that this continuing criminal act is stopped. This is no different than someone locking me out of my home and not allowing me to enter. It is a crime. Law Enforcement should be preventing this crime from occurring.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:Great work.

I also must say that it is a shame we need to go to these lengths. It is illegal to bar entry to LTC holders, so we should be able to just call 911 and have the local LEO come out to ensure that this continuing criminal act is stopped. This is no different than someone locking me out of my home and not allowing me to enter. It is a crime. Law Enforcement should be preventing this crime from occurring.
One of the problems with the "Fines for Signs" is that it is NOT a criminal act to bar LTC from public property, only a civil matter and you have to depend on the AG to sue, unless you feel you can come up with your own private cause of action and fund the suit. FLORIDA is leading Texas in this respect, as they did with shall issue, 9 years before we got it.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

ScottDLS wrote:

One of the problems with the "Fines for Signs" is that it is NOT a criminal act to bar LTC from public property, only a civil matter and you have to depend on the AG to sue, unless you feel you can come up with your own private cause of action and fund the suit. FLORIDA is leading Texas in this respect, as they did with shall issue, 9 years before we got it.
I did not know that. Thanks for educating me!

And I would love to get something passed that would make it a criminal act to bar entry to a publicly owned location to anyone who has a legal right to be there (including LTC holders who are carrying a weapon). Exceptions could be made for clearing places in the event of protests, etc. I'm thinking a $1,000 fine and/or 30 days in jail might be a good disincentive.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:

And I would love to get something passed that would make it a criminal act to bar entry to a publicly owned location to anyone who has a legal right to be there (including LTC holders who are carrying a weapon). Exceptions could be made for clearing places in the event of protests, etc. I'm thinking a $1,000 fine and/or 30 days in jail might be a good disincentive.

:iagree:
Great idea!! I believe this is similar to what Florida did.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

338winmag

Post by 338winmag »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:

I think it would be better if the law were amended to allow persons prevented from entry to sue either the city or the event holders, or both. Presently, having to write the AG and provide all evidence of these actions, then wait for someone in the AG's office to actually do something is laughable. It might work for things like court houses, and other publicly owned property, but for events like this and others, it just doesn't work. By the time the AG actually gets around to doing something about it, the event is a distant memory.

Being able to sue the cities and event holders in small claims/JP court for say, 100-150 dollars plus filing fees, would really send a message. Imagine let's say the Houston Rodeo. How many thousands of permit holders went? If 10% of them did this, things would change fast. I think their attorneys would advise them to settle, the first year, and then if they didn't want it to happen again, change their policy.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

338winmag wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:

I think it would be better if the law were amended to allow persons prevented from entry to sue either the city or the event holders, or both. Presently, having to write the AG and provide all evidence of these actions, then wait for someone in the AG's office to actually do something is laughable. It might work for things like court houses, and other publicly owned property, but for events like this and others, it just doesn't work. By the time the AG actually gets around to doing something about it, the event is a distant memory.

Being able to sue the cities and event holders in small claims/JP court for say, 100-150 dollars plus filing fees, would really send a message. Imagine let's say the Houston Rodeo. How many thousands of permit holders went? If 10% of them did this, things would change fast. I think their attorneys would advise them to settle, the first year, and then if they didn't want it to happen again, change their policy.
:iagree: This would also be a great improvement.

The government entity is doing something illegal that causes harm, so I'm not sure why they can't already be sued in civil court. Maybe someone will be along to educate me on this. And I highly doubt that it would be a suit for $100 - $150. Maybe ten times than range at a minimum. Public embarrassment, lost time travelling to and from the location (multiplied by the number of people in your party), travel costs, parking, etc.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”