NCAD is at again

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NCAD is at again

Post by ninjabread »

roadkill wrote:Finally got back in touch with CCPD regarding my IA case I started. The officer I spoke with knows and understands my complaint was two fold but kept wanting to kick it back to NCAD. I'm not sure if I'll ever get anything in writing from CCPD with what happened but here's the rundown as it was verbally told to me. The offduty officer was acting lawfully in asking me to disarm to go up stairs. The appraisal district can ask me to disarm in order to talk to them and they can direct the offduty officer to keep guns out of the building. CCPD has consulted with their legal advisors and they are of the conclusion that they can do this. The appraisal district attorney is also of the same opinion. The CCPD did not contact the state AG for a legal opinion on the matter. As far as they are concerned the officer acted lawfully and the case is over. Opinions?
My opinion is this outcome is exactly what the legislature and the Texas AG want. They pretend to be pro gun to trick people to vote for them, but won't DO anything to stop local dicktaters from violating our gun rights.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Topic author
roadkill
Posts in topic: 15

Post by roadkill »

I received a very good email today from CCPD. It wasn’t surprising since I recently FOIA requested from NCAD the security policies/guidelines for the guards (private and offduty PD) working the metal detector and the security contracts. I only received the private security contract. Nothing from PD and nothing about security policies. I informed them that my request wasn’t fully complied with and asked for the PD contract and the post orders that would be created from NCAD policy’s that was mentioned in the private security contract. It seems that there might be a policy in place that doesn’t comply with the law based on the letter I received from the CCPD. Regardless this is progress and I’m certain that Ronnie isn’t going to be happy with the outcome

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

look at you, making things happen! :cheers2:

good work!
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

Good job on this.

I'm curious how much they have tried to raise your property taxes since you've taken up this fight though. :biggrinjester:

DWA

Post by DWA »

Appraisal districts are not government agencies. They are a agency created to represent governments. They do not have to follow the same guidelines with respect to weapons that a city or county government would.

The appraisal districts determine the value of property. They give that information to cities and counties who then assess and collect taxes. If you fail to pay taxes, you are in trouble with the CITY OR COUNTY ASSESSOR and NOT the APPRAISER. Why? Because appraisal districts do not have that governmental power - and do not collect taxes.

They are a separate business whose clients are all government agencies. Cities or counties are not required to use their valuation services, although most do. As an example, the City of Arlington has their own appraisal staff and they do not use the valuations from the Tarrant Appraisal District.

Any policies they have are valid. They may control security on their property as they see fit, just as a private business would.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

What if the appraisal office is in a City owned building?

Topic author
roadkill
Posts in topic: 15

Post by roadkill »

DWA wrote:Appraisal districts are not government agencies. They are a agency created to represent governments. They do not have to follow the same guidelines with respect to weapons that a city or county government would.

The appraisal districts determine the value of property. They give that information to cities and counties who then assess and collect taxes. If you fail to pay taxes, you are in trouble with the CITY OR COUNTY ASSESSOR and NOT the APPRAISER. Why? Because appraisal districts do not have that governmental power - and do not collect taxes.

They are a separate business whose clients are all government agencies. Cities or counties are not required to use their valuation services, although most do. As an example, the City of Arlington has their own appraisal staff and they do not use the valuations from the Tarrant Appraisal District.

Any policies they have are valid. They may control security on their property as they see fit, just as a private business would.
If that was the case their lawyer would have said so as well as the AG. They wouldn’t have removed the signs on the outside of the building a few years ago nor would they have covered up the signs inside by the meeting rooms. They are in fact a governmental entity. They are not county as their name often gives the impression of but rather they answer to the state Comptroller.

http://www.ncadistrict.com/About_Us
The Nueces County Appraisal District was created by the 1979 Texas Legislature to consolidate property value appraisals into single (county) districts. The appraisal district became active in 1982 and is responsible for appraising property in the county for ad valorem tax purposes. The chief appraiser is the chief administrator of the appraisal office and is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the appraisal district board of directors.

Section 2265 of the Texas Government Code requires governmental entities publish a report of electricity, water, and natural gas consumption and the aggregate costs of such.

A Copy can be obtained here

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

DWA wrote:Appraisal districts are not government agencies. They are a agency created to represent governments. They do not have to follow the same guidelines with respect to weapons that a city or county government would.

Appraisal districts are governmental agencies as created and defined by statute. Tax Code section 6.01 says:
[/quote]Sec. 6.01. APPRAISAL DISTRICTS ESTABLISHED. (a) An appraisal district is established in each county.

(b) The district is responsible for appraising property in the district for ad valorem tax purposes of each taxing unit that imposes ad valorem taxes on property in the district.

(c) An appraisal district is a political subdivision of the state.[/quote]

You re correct that the appraisal district's job is to appraise property and not to levy taxes. This was created and set up this way to eliminate the complaints of each taxing unit appraising the property for themselves and coming up with different values. For example, in the 70s, a house could be valued at 70,000 by a city, 80,000 by the county, and 125,000 by the school district. Having a single unit responsible for appraising without having any taxing authority was supposed to provide a more accurate appraisal because the appraisal district did not benefit in any way from fudging the appraisals.

Arlington does use the Tarrant Appraisal District values by law. If you have reason to think they are not doing so, please contact the attorney general's office or other appropriate law enforcement to let them know. A quick simple way to check would be to take the tax bill from the city and compare it tot he appraisal notice you received from the appraisal district. If the values are not matching, there is a legal problem.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”