Renewal question......

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Renewal question......

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I recently got my renewal notification letter in the mail on 4/14, and went online straightaway and renewed. I received my new LTC in today's mail, 4/29. TWO WEEKS!!! I am NOT going to complain about that!

Anyway, my CHL was set to expire on 10/05/2017, and my new license will expire on 10/05/2022. My question is this: Since my old license had not yet reached its expiration date, do I still carry on the old license, or is the new license effective right now, and the old one is "deprecated"? The last time I renewed, my old license had expired before I had the new one in hand, so this wasn't an issue.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Renewal question......

Post by MeMelYup »

Check to see if it has an effective date. If it has only an expiration date, it is good until the expiration.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Mine renewed in March, and the new one came in late January. Only an expiration date, no start date. Change it out and carry away.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Both mine and Mrs Oldgringo's current CHL's expire next February (2/2018). Inasmuch as she doesn't carry and we're both in the November of our years, what's the point/cost of renewing again?

Lambda Force

Post by Lambda Force »

Oldgringo wrote:Both mine and Mrs Oldgringo's current CHL's expire next February (2/2018). Inasmuch as she doesn't carry and we're both in the November of our years, what's the point/cost of renewing again?
I'm younger but I don't think renewing is worth it without HB 560. I can carry a rifle more places legally.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

rotor

Post by rotor »

I would suggest just as with your drivers license, destroy the old one (which says CHL) and switch to the new one which says LTC. This way you do not have two licenses.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Thanks guys. I suspected that would be the case, but I didn't want to find out the hard way that it wasn't.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Thanks guys. I suspected that would be the case, but I didn't want to find out the hard way that it wasn't.
I also received my renewal in two weeks. I kept the old license just in case something happened to the new one.
NRA Endowment Member

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

rotor wrote:I would suggest just as with your drivers license, destroy the old one (which says CHL) and switch to the new one which says LTC. This way you do not have two licenses.
I learned recently that it's actually a Class B misdemeanor to have more than one valid Texas Driver's License in your possession at one time. I don't think that's the case for LTC, but I know they prefer you don't have two.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

I sure wouldn't want to be the test case for that there I tell you what.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

ScottDLS wrote:
rotor wrote:I would suggest just as with your drivers license, destroy the old one (which says CHL) and switch to the new one which says LTC. This way you do not have two licenses.
I learned recently that it's actually a Class B misdemeanor to have more than one valid Texas Driver's License in your possession at one time. I don't think that's the case for LTC, but I know they prefer you don't have two.
I won't carry both old and new licenses, but I will lock the old one in my gun safe until it expires. In the event that something happens to the new one (lost, stolen, etc), I can still carry on the old one until October 5th, which will give me time to get a duplicate of the new one. I'll run the old one through the shredder on October 6th.

#TINVOWOOT

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

ScottDLS wrote:
Actually, I believe it is a Class A Misdemeanor. Perusing the 167 pages of the Transportation Code I found this:
SUBCHAPTER S. MISCELLANEOUS OFFENSES
Sec. 521.451. GENERAL VIOLATION. (a) Except as provided by Section 521.452, a person may
not:
(4) possess more than one currently valid driver's license or more than one currently
valid certificate; or
(5) in an application for an original, renewal, or duplicate driver's license or certificate:
provide a false name, false address, or a counterfeit document;
knowingly make a false statement, conceal a material fact, or otherwise commit
An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
I am not aware of any similar laws pertaining to LTC, but IANAL. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

My question is whether two pieces of plastic with the same name, same license number, et cetera are "more than one currently valid driver's license" or duplicate copies of a single license. Looking at the phrase in context, it seems the legislature intended to criminalize somebody have a license as "John Smith" and a license as "John Q. Smith" with a different number (and potentially different birth date) which would facilitate fraudulent activity. I don't think they intended to criminalize early or address changes.

IANAL
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

tbrown wrote:My question is whether two pieces of plastic with the same name, same license number, et cetera are "more than one currently valid driver's license" or duplicate copies of a single license. Looking at the phrase in context, it seems the legislature intended to criminalize somebody have a license as "John Smith" and a license as "John Q. Smith" with a different number (and potentially different birth date) which would facilitate fraudulent activity. I don't think they intended to criminalize early renewal online.

IANAL
That is a very good point. I was also thinking it may be aimed at one having a valid Drivers License from more than one state, but I'm not sure that's necessarily illegal.

Where I got the "Class B" for having more than one valid DL was on an episode of Cops taking place in Texas. Certainly a Class A seems extreme for having two valid DL's....but looks like that's what it is.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”