CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Dcastrojr
Posts in topic: 1

TABC / 30.06 / 30.07

Post by Dcastrojr »

free unlimited image hosting
Forgive me if this is a repost but I could not find a discussion on this. I do need some clarification on these signs from this knowledgeable community.

I have been to numerous establishments that have the blue "the unlicensed possession..." sign along with a 30.06. Correct me if I am wrong but the blue sign is saying you can carry if you have a license. Obviously the 30.06 says you can't conceal carry. I also did a little bit of research discovering he TABC sign is posted due to alcohol sales. Am I clear to carry in a establishment with these signs up?

I could not figure out how to upload the picture from my phone to this website so I hope the img link works.

Thank you for your help.

Lambda Force

Re: TABC / 30.06 / 30.07

Post by Lambda Force »

The blue sign is required to be posted by a business that sells alcohol if they are not required to post the red 51% sign.

The 30.06 sign is valid notice LTC may not carry a concealed handgun.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

The 30.06 and 30.07 prohibit you from carrying a handgun, if you are an LTC holder. The blue,TABC signs only prohibit unlicensed carry.

I don't know where this establishment is located, but they would not get my business. The ironic sign is the one that says " don't be a target" yet the signs make them exactly that.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

No, you cannot concealed or open carry. The 30.06/30.07 signs are put up at the owners discretion. This means the owner does not want you to carry and you legally have been notified. The blue TABC sign is required by TABC due to selling alcohol for off-premise consumption, or for locations making less than 51% of their revenue from the sale of alcohol for on-premise consumption. It is just saying it's not against the law to carry there if you have an LTC, but it's not saying you can bypass a legal 30.06/30.07 if posted.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

KLB

Post by KLB »

Keith B wrote:it's not saying you can bypass a legal 30.06/30.07 if posted.
That is the common sense answer and, to my mind, obviously correct. License holders would do well not to play games with the intricacies of the signs. We should act in good faith.

apostate

Post by apostate »

Dcastrojr wrote:I have been to numerous establishments that have the blue "the unlicensed possession..." sign along with a 30.06. Correct me if I am wrong but the blue sign is saying you can carry if you have a license.
Read it. It says nothing about licensed carry.

It is a warning to people carrying without a license that the misdemeanor offense of unlawful carrying weapons escalates to a felony in that building.

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

Looks to me like the sign on the left door is a 30.07 and the sign on the right door is a 30.06, but they are blurred.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jason812 »

Sign on the right is 30.06 and has old wording. Don't ask don't tell...
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

To keep it clear in my mind, I think of it this way. TABC red (51%) and blue signs remind me what the law says and 30.06 and 30.07 signs indicate the wishes of the owner/operator. TABC 51% sign means no carry by law. Blue means ok to carry if licensed. 30.06 and 30.07 indicates whether or not the owner/operator wants you to NOT carry either concealed or openly depending on the sign.

Hope this helps.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

rotor

Post by rotor »

jason812 wrote:Sign on the right is 30.06 and has old wording. Don't ask don't tell...
I think you are the only one that caught this. Technically the 30.06 is not valid. I wouldn't push the point though.

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

Dcastrojr wrote:Image
free unlimited image hosting
Forgive me if this is a repost but I could not find a discussion on this. I do need some clarification on these signs from this knowledgeable community.

I have been to numerous establishments that have the blue "the unlicensed possession..." sign along with a 30.06. Correct me if I am wrong but the blue sign is saying you can carry if you have a license. Obviously the 30.06 says you can't conceal carry. I also did a little bit of research discovering he TABC sign is posted due to alcohol sales. Am I clear to carry in a establishment with these signs up?

I could not figure out how to upload the picture from my phone to this website so I hope the img link works.

Thank you for your help.
The blue TABC sign is required by another statute and must be there if the sale of alcohol is present. The 30.06 and 30.07 signs are discretionary on the part of the owner. The two are mutually exclusive and do not effect each other nor give to or take away any legal force of the other.

If one is unlicensed with a weapon then the 30.06/30.07 signs do not apply to them and the blue signs explain the penalty. If one is licensed with a weapon then the blue sign is innocuous to them, but the presence or lack thereof of a 30.067/30.07 sign makes notification of the owner's unwillingness to give consent to carriage on his property.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

jason812 wrote:Sign on the right is 30.06 and has old wording. Don't ask don't tell...
According to 2016 update it is word for word. Unless I missed something.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jason812 »

twomillenium wrote:
According to 2016 update it is word for word. Unless I missed something.
The part in parenthesis (Concealed Handgun Law) is the old wording and should be (Handgun Licensing Law). Easy to miss.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”