KHOU Houston - Texas police chiefs fighting 'unlicensed carry'

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Re: KHOU Houston - Texas police chiefs fighting 'unlicensed carry'

Post by Jusme »

Police Chief, is not an elected office. They are appointed. Why are the city managers, mayors, and city councils, allowing their police chiefs to engage in political issues, under the authority of their office? If they want to debate an issue as private citizens, that is one thing, but to use their office, and more than likely city funded vehicles, and hotel accommodations, seems to me to be a conflict of interest. They do not speak for their citizens, they are hired to serve their citizens. They cannot pass laws, only enforce the laws passed by the legislature. If I lived in any of the cities, who's police chief was in Austin as part of this protest movement, I would be demanding a full accounting of the costs involved, and an explanatiion of the necessity for them to be there. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bblhd672 »

Jusme wrote:Police Chief, is not an elected office. They are appointed. Why are the city managers, mayors, and city councils, allowing their police chiefs to engage in political issues, under the authority of their office? If they want to debate an issue as private citizens, that is one thing, but to use their office, and more than likely city funded vehicles, and hotel accommodations, seems to me to be a conflict of interest. They do not speak for their citizens, they are hired to serve their citizens. They cannot pass laws, only enforce the laws passed by the legislature. If I lived in any of the cities, who's police chief was in Austin as part of this protest movement, I would be demanding a full accounting of the costs involved, and an explanatiion of the necessity for them to be there. JMHO
The city managers, mayors and city councils probably approve of what their chiefs are doing and agree with their anti-2A stance.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

bblhd672 wrote:
Jusme wrote:Police Chief, is not an elected office. They are appointed. Why are the city managers, mayors, and city councils, allowing their police chiefs to engage in political issues, under the authority of their office? If they want to debate an issue as private citizens, that is one thing, but to use their office, and more than likely city funded vehicles, and hotel accommodations, seems to me to be a conflict of interest. They do not speak for their citizens, they are hired to serve their citizens. They cannot pass laws, only enforce the laws passed by the legislature. If I lived in any of the cities, who's police chief was in Austin as part of this protest movement, I would be demanding a full accounting of the costs involved, and an explanatiion of the necessity for them to be there. JMHO
The city managers, mayors and city councils probably approve of what their chiefs are doing and agree with their anti-2A stance.

That may be true, but those are elected positions, and they are not protesting. They are using tax payer money to be involved in a political protest. If front line LEO went down there to protest something, they would be fired.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Didn't Art Acevedo originate in communist Cuba?
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Unlicensed = MPA or ...?

apostate

Post by apostate »

Abraham wrote:Unlicensed = MPA or ...?
No. The qualifications for unlicensed carry in the bill are significantly more strict than those for MPA from what I see.

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 2

Post by locke_n_load »

apostate wrote:
Abraham wrote:Unlicensed = MPA or ...?
No. The qualifications for unlicensed carry in the bill are significantly more strict than those for MPA from what I see.
That has or is changing with amendments.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

twomillenium wrote:Didn't Art Acevedo originate in communist Cuba?
I'm sure you're asking that facetiously, but just to cover the bases, Acevedo is from California, which explains a lot.
-Ruark

Take Down Sicko
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I'm not at all surprised that acewhatever is against gun carry. Thats one joker that should have stayed where he came from. :bigmouth

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Ruark wrote:
twomillenium wrote:Didn't Art Acevedo originate in communist Cuba?
I'm sure you're asking that facetiously, but just to cover the bases, Acevedo is from California, which explains a lot.
His bio claims to be Cuban born and came to the US in 1968.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Caliber
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Caliber »

Well, I'm not for unlicensed carry for the following reason:

When I took my CHL class a long time ago, there was a woman in the class that could NOT handle a firearm. She struggled to load, fire, and couldn't hit the target half the time. She clearly had no business trying qualify for a CHL.

So, I can imagine that if unlicensed carry passes, there would be some people that would go buy a gun and not learn how to use it which puts themselves in danger as well as you and me. With required licensing, at least of those idiots are weeded out.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Caliber wrote:Well, I'm not for unlicensed carry for the following reason:

When I took my CHL class a long time ago, there was a woman in the class that could NOT handle a firearm. She struggled to load, fire, and couldn't hit the target half the time. She clearly had no business trying qualify for a CHL.

So, I can imagine that if unlicensed carry passes, there would be some people that would go buy a gun and not learn how to use it which puts themselves in danger as well as you and me. With required licensing, at least of those idiots are weeded out.
These same people are allowed to carry unlicensed under the MPA. These same people are allowed to carry long guns unlicensed since forever.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Caliber wrote:Well, I'm not for unlicensed carry for the following reason:

Those "idiots' have the same Constitutional right to keep and bear arms as anyone else. They "should" take the responsibility to be properly trained with firearms, but it should not be mandated by the government. No other Constitutional right, requires, proving that you know how to exercise it properly.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

:iagree:

Additionally, what makes one think that the LTC course will train someone to properly handle a handgun. If you don't already know by the time you get there, the shooting test isn't going to "learn" you.... :lol:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

lama
Posts in topic: 1

Post by lama »

ScottDLS wrote::iagree:

Additionally, what makes one think that the LTC course will train someone to properly handle a handgun. If you don't already know by the time you get there, the shooting test isn't going to "learn" you.... :lol:
While I am on your side. The argument is not that it will "learn" them but that the instructor can fail them.

Though when I took my course the same type of person was passed so its not like that idea is working real well.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”