Deferred Adjudication

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
sdwilson68
Posts in topic: 1

Deferred Adjudication

Post by sdwilson68 »

Good morning, hopefully I am posting in the correct location. I completed deferred adjudication for burglary of a habitat in 1993 and received my CHL in 2007. I moved to Florida shortly after and let it expire because I applied and received my Florida carry license and did not plan on moving back to Texas. I ended up moving back to Texas last year and I applied again for a Texas CHL and was denied because a change in the law in 2009 makes burglary of a habitat a violent crime and therefore I am ineligible. Does anyone know if this might be addressed in the 2017 legislation or any does anyone have any other advice for me? Feel naked without it.

The Annoyed Man

Re: Deferred Adjudication

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Why not just convert your Florida license into a non-resident license, or apply for a non-resident Florida license if your old one is expired, and not worry about it?

Texas will recognize your non-resident Florida license: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 4

Post by AJSully421 »

You need to get that DA non-disclosed. Any lawyer can do it, cost starts at about $500.

Until then, your Fl license will work just fine.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Even if the DA is non-disclosed, won't the state have access to it when doing a background check?
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

RossA wrote:Even if the DA is non-disclosed, won't the state have access to it when doing a background check?
Even if they did, it is no longer disqualifying.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

ScottDLS wrote:
RossA wrote:Even if the DA is non-disclosed, won't the state have access to it when doing a background check?
Deferred adjudications are no longer disqualifying? Did that change this session?

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

ScottDLS wrote:
This confuses me. If it is no longer disqualifying then why was the OP denied?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

I don't think Texas LTC eligibity for people convicted of home break-ins has very high legislative priority for most gun rights organizations or legislators. I think your best option is keeping your Florida license.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

treadlightly wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
Deferred adjudications are no longer disqualifying? Did that change this session?
No. If it's "non-disclosed". Assume that means an order of non-disclosure, which like an expungement or pardon, makes the offense non-disqualifying.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

thos25

Post by thos25 »

This is an interesting topic and it seems to come up more often than you would think. I am always intrigued by the fact that the reclassifying of a crime can impact a person years after the fact. I read a story of a man on the east coast that had a misdemeanor simple assault charge from the mid 1960's. The maximum sentence at the time was something like 6 months. At some point in the mid 2000s the state he lived in reclassified it and it became a crime punishable by up to 2 years in jail, thus being enough to prohibit him from owning firearms despite it still not being a felony. He went into a gun store and filled out the BGC and was denied. This is also despite the fact that he had purchased numerous other guns throughout the years and always passed the BGC.

I firmly believe that a crime that was NOT disqualifying at the time of the offense should NOT be used to disqualify years after the fact. This is especially when it was a plea deal and not even a bench/jury trial. I would argue that my guilty plea was contingent upon the existing punishments at the time. Adding additional punishment (IE restricting the right to bear arms) years after the fact has altered my original agreement in such a way that I would have never pled in the first place. I don't know. It just seems unethical to me.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Sorry to confuse...

So, a DA for Burglary of a Habitation is a permanent disqual for LTC purposes...

EXCEPT

If that DA has been nullified, vacated, set aside, or a whole long list of other words. Having a successfully completed DA be non-disclosed by a Judge's order removes that disqualification, making the person instantly eligible (so long as everything else is met).

Of course the state can still see the darn records, don't be ridiculous.

An order of non-disclosure does not erase it, and it does not hide it from state agencies like the DPS, it just removes the effects of that record from consideration for LTC eligibility. This is not something new as of 2017, or even 2015... this has been the case for a long while.

So, carry on a FL license, or get it non-disclosed.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

I had a DA and did none of that. I just had to wait 10 years. He is well over 10 years. Did that change?

infoman

Post by infoman »

Burglary of Habitation is a permanent disqualifier, even if deferred adjudication. (So is Aggravated assault, Deadly conduct, Homicide, Injury to a Child, Robbery, etc.). The charges that fall under the 10 year window are non-violent related- like drug charges, financial charges, etc.

Leveraction

Post by Leveraction »

[quote="AJSully421"]Sorry to confuse...

So, a DA for Burglary of a Habitation is a permanent disqual for LTC purposes...

EXCEPT

If that DA has been nullified, vacated, set aside, or a whole long list of other words. Having a successfully completed DA be non-disclosed by a Judge's order removes that disqualification, making the person instantly eligible (so long as everything else is met).

Where can I read this information. Im currently in the non-disclisure process, I have talked to 50 lawyers and I cant get any of them to tell me this flat out. They all do the lawyer dance around the answer so theyre not liable if it doesnt work out.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Leveraction wrote:
AJSully421 wrote:Sorry to confuse...

EXCEPT

Where can I read this information. Im currently in the non-disclisure process, I have talked to 50 lawyers and I cant get any of them to tell me this flat out. They all do the lawyer dance around the answer so theyre not liable if it doesnt work out.
An order of non-disclosure is not the same as an expungement or being set-aside, I believe only hides the records from the public where they cannot see the record, not law enforcement. I don't think an order of non-disclosure will clear you for an LTC if you have a something that is a permanent disqualification.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”