PTSD and obtaining a LTC

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
1s1k52
Posts in topic: 3

PTSD and obtaining a LTC

Post by 1s1k52 »

Does anyone know if being diagnosed and treated for PTSD currently or at any point negates someone from a LTC? Thanks.
(insert clever signature here)

Wolverine
Posts in topic: 1

Re: PTSD and obtaining a LTC

Post by Wolverine »

PTSD is not necessarily a disqualifier but can be. See GC §411.172 (d) and (e)
"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty."
III

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MeMelYup »

Inform your Dr. that you need a statement on a letterhead stating: you are not deemed harmful to yourself or another person, and that you need it for work purposes.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

MeMelYup wrote:Inform your Dr. that you need a statement on a letterhead stating: you are not deemed harmful to yourself or another person, and that you need it for work purposes.
:iagree: PTSD, It is now in the same category as Bipolar... I would make copies of that letter as well. I hate to say it but this probably won't be the last time you will need it.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

Thanks for all the replies. This was for someone else so I will pass it along.

Jigo23
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jigo23 »

No disrespect intended here to anyone, but in my opinion there is some advice being given here, unless something WRITTEN into law specifically addressing a diagnosis of PTSD being a disqualifier for receiving a license to carry, that is questionable.
First off, where did the information come from that PTSD "is in the same category as bi-polar"? From a medical/psychological standpoint they are not even related whatsoever.
Secondly, asking your doctor for a letter written as described here, you are just bringing unwanted and unjustified attention to yourself, PLUS the advice about LYING to your Doctor by saying you require a carry license for work is just not smart to do at all. Didn't see the the OP stated it was for work or did I miss that? Besides being totally unnecessary, I doubt you'd get ANY doctor to sign such a letter as stated. God forbid you'd end up committing some violent act with a gun, I could just see some type of civil legal action taken towards a doctor that was dumb enough go to sign something like that.
As the laws are written, there is nothing whatsoever that even brings into question someone's qualification for a license to carry if they are being treated for PTSD. So why would you even want to bring that to the attention of state officials responsible for issuing licenses? That's about like you saying "Are you REALLY REALLY sure you want to give me a license to carry"
Think about the many thousands of veterans out there who have been diagnosed with PTSD from things they saw or were forced to do in combat. For every ONE officially diagnosed, I promise you there are at least the same number that have gone undiagnosed. Think they'd stand for being denied their right to arm themselves simply because they suffer from PTSD? NOPE!
PTSD is very treatable with a combination of medications and/or some type of therapy. Back to the OP's question regarding his friend, bottom line is why bring something to the attention of any state or federal agency, that isn't required by law? Which PTSD is not in and of itself. Of course with any medical condtion that is accompanied by any of the disqualifying behaviors, that's a different story, but PTSD by itself is not disqualifying and is not any official's business. Again, no disrespect to other advice given, I just don't think it is very wise to bring attention to something that is not required by law, just opens a can of worms that is better left closed...unless you are going fishin' :)
If ya wanna run with the big dogs, ya gotta get off the porch!
"I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it"
- Ranger Capt Woodrow F. Call

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Jigo23 wrote:No disrespect intended here to anyone, but in my opinion there is some advice being given here, unless something WRITTEN into law specifically addressing a diagnosis of PTSD being a disqualifier for receiving a license to carry, that is questionable.
First off, where did the information come from that PTSD "is in the same category as bi-polar"? From a medical/psychological standpoint they are not even related whatsoever.
Secondly, asking your doctor for a letter written as described here, you are just bringing unwanted and unjustified attention to yourself, PLUS the advice about LYING to your Doctor by saying you require a carry license for work is just not smart to do at all. Didn't see the the OP stated it was for work or did I miss that? Besides being totally unnecessary, I doubt you'd get ANY doctor to sign such a letter as stated. God forbid you'd end up committing some violent act with a gun, I could just see some type of civil legal action taken towards a doctor that was dumb enough go to sign something like that.
As the laws are written, there is nothing whatsoever that even brings into question someone's qualification for a license to carry if they are being treated for PTSD. So why would you even want to bring that to the attention of state officials responsible for issuing licenses? That's about like you saying "Are you REALLY REALLY sure you want to give me a license to carry"
Think about the many thousands of veterans out there who have been diagnosed with PTSD from things they saw or were forced to do in combat. For every ONE officially diagnosed, I promise you there are at least the same number that have gone undiagnosed. Think they'd stand for being denied their right to arm themselves simply because they suffer from PTSD? NOPE!
PTSD is very treatable with a combination of medications and/or some type of therapy. Back to the OP's question regarding his friend, bottom line is why bring something to the attention of any state or federal agency, that isn't required by law? Which PTSD is not in and of itself. Of course with any medical condtion that is accompanied by any of the disqualifying behaviors, that's a different story, but PTSD by itself is not disqualifying and is not any official's business. Again, no disrespect to other advice given, I just don't think it is very wise to bring attention to something that is not required by law, just opens a can of worms that is better left closed...unless you are going fishin' :)
Excellent post. I wholeheartedly agree.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Jigo23 wrote:No disrespect intended here to anyone, but in my opinion there is some advice being given here, unless something WRITTEN into law specifically addressing a diagnosis of PTSD being a disqualifier for receiving a license to carry, that is questionable.
No offense taken. "Inform your Dr. that you need a statement on a letterhead stating: you are not deemed harmful to yourself or another person, and that you need it for work purposes." Where does the above statement say anything about LTC? All the statement is asking for is assurance that the person is not a threat.

GC §411.172. ELIGIBILITY.
(d)(1) has been diagnosed by a licensed physician as suffering from a psychiatric disorder or condition that causes or is likely to cause substantial impairment in judgment, mood, perception, impulse control, or intellectual ability;
(2) suffers from a psychiatric disorder or condition described by Subdivision (1) that:
(A) is in remission but is reasonably likely to redevelop at a future time; or
(B) requires continuous medical treatment to avoid redevelopment;

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Are you taking my "word for it" as a medical professional? I didn't stay in a holiday inn. :biggrinjester: I was more referring to the stigma of both.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Jigo23

Post by Jigo23 »

Ok, I get now that you meant telling the doctor "the letter" is needed for work and not "the LTC", but that wouldn't change anything on my opinion about that. It's still an effort to deceive and to be honest, anybody that needed such a letter as that probably shouldn't have a LTC. Again, simply being diagnosed as having PTSD is not grounds for denying someone the right to bear arms. Never has been, believe me if that was possible Obama would have done it long ago; so why draw special attention to yourself where none is warranted?

Right, I read the eligibility rules again. Still don't see anything in there related to simply PTSD. I know a lot of dudes who have been/are being treated for it and nothing in that section that I know of applies to any of them. Now If someone has PTSD AND other mental disorders characterized by those behaviors stated, then I would agree that they probably shouldn't have access to firearms.

Just my $.02 for what it's worth. if I was the friend the OP was referring to, I would simply take "YES" for an answer and get my LTC just like any other sane and law-abiding citizen would, unless there is more to the story than provided by the OP.
Good discussions though, it can be such a gray area when it comes to diagnosing, documenting, and sharing mental health related information with local, state, and federal government agencies responsible for carrying out the laws of the land. I know none of us wants mentally disturbed and dangerous people to have access to guns, it's very difficult to actually ensure this doesn't happen without wrongly infringing on some people's rights. I sure can't blame anybody for being distrustful when it comes to dealing with government bureaucracies at any level.

Jigo23

Post by Jigo23 »

TreyHouston wrote:Are you taking my "word for it" as a medical professional? I didn't stay in a holiday inn. :biggrinjester: I was more referring to the stigma of both.
Hey we found a Dr to sign those letters for us...Thanks Dr TreyHouston! Do you have a prescription pad too by chance? :)

Right, no doubt about it that stigma is there thanks to either the actions of a very few or what's seen on movie/tv screens

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

It's a 'don't ask, don't tell' thing. If, at a later date, issues arise, let due process be the facilitator as to the removal of a constitutional right...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

I told the guy I didn't remember anything being brought about it but it doesn't take much for me to renew mine (LEO) so I suggested he go through the application. I suggested if it doesn't ask there shouldn't be a reason to mention it.

Thanks for the replies.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

1s1k52 wrote:I told the guy I didn't remember anything being brought about it but it doesn't take much for me to renew mine (LEO) so I suggested he go through the application. I suggested if it doesn't ask there shouldn't be a reason to mention it.

Thanks for the replies.
Ah, but the application does ask. Form CHL-78c Reported History Form, which is also in the online application. :tiphat:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Jigo23

Post by Jigo23 »

Ok, my last post was deleted because I didn't follow forum rules so I apologize for the harsh words I used to describe another member here.

To the OP, please advise your friend to disregard the completely incorrect and totally false information posted regarding the application process. No where on the application does it ask or even mention PTSD or anything remotely pertaining to PTSD in and of itself. Is your friend a Veteran? If so, I would encourage them to contact the DAV (Disabled American Veterans) who can assist and offer sound and correct information regarding Veterans rights. They will reiterate what I have told you. You can also contact the NRA and they will also confirm that. Again, Unless your friend suffers from the specific conditions stated on the form, then they have nothing to worry about whatsoever.
My sincerest apologies again for violating the rules and I'm sorry if I hurt someone's feelIngs

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”