Easterwood Airport College Station

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Noggin
Posts in topic: 3

Easterwood Airport College Station

Post by Noggin »

Last Wednesday evening I drove to Easterwood Airport with my wife to meet our daughter who is home on weekend leave from the Air Force. My wife and I and the two dogs were standing in the parking lot opposite the arrivals entrance. There was a cop there who we were having a conversation with, after a few minutes he noticed my OC and told me to go and lock my weapon in my vehicle. He explained that as the airport was Texas A&M property no open carry was allowed. I decided not to make a big issue of it at he was still being polite about it so I did as he said. At no time did he ask to see my LTC. As I was locking my truck another guy who was just pulling out in his car spoke to me to say he was surprised by this as he had heard of no such rule before. This was not the first time I had OC'd at that airport, about 2 months earlier I had sat inside the terminal building waiting for my wife's flight to land on that occasion nobody challenged me or passed any comments. I know on that earlier occasion there had been no 30:06 or 30:07 signs because I had looked for them, I don't know if there are any there now as I did not get close enough to the building to see any.
Last edited by Noggin on Sat May 27, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place." - Oliver Cromwell 1653 :smilelol5:

george72
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Easterwood Airport College Station

Post by george72 »

"Easterwood Airport is owned by Texas A&M University (TAMU)."
https://www.flyeasterwood.com/about-us/

So yes, I would guess that "campus carry" would apply, if so then no OC is allowed (campus carry only allows concealed carry not open carry where/when designated by the campus).

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

But is it a part of the campus? Is the property attached to the rest of the university? Apparently, they aren't using the airport for educational purposes. The OP should have been only asked to cover-up instead of having to go to his car.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Governing document for Campus Carry Texas A&M College Station is http://rules-saps.tamu.edu/PDFs/34.06.02.M1.pdf which makes no mention of the airport. I am inferring from your statement that you carried at the airport previously, that there are no 30.06/30.07 signs posted at the airport. I'd further postulate that, out of the group composed of you and the security guard, that AT LEAST one of you has been misinformed in this case.... :shock:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

george72

Post by george72 »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:http://rules-saps.tamu.edu/PDFs/34.06.02.M1.pdfn this case.... :shock:
The doc says;
Campus - means all land and buildings owned or leased by Texas A&M.
and
3. The open carrying of handguns is prohibited everywhere on campus. Licensed peace
officers are authorized by law to carry firearms at all times.
No 30.07 sign is required to prohibit open carry on a campus, as it is outlawed completely as open carry was never allowed on campus when open carry was originally passed;
http://www.tamu.edu/statements/campus-carry.html wrote:The changes enacted by House Bill 910 (Open Carry) are effective January 1, 2016. However, this law does not permit open carry on a university campus.
--

OP is lucky the cop was in a good mood. This is a great example of why prohibited places are silly.
Last edited by george72 on Sat May 27, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I honestly don't know, but just because TAMU claims it is a campus doesn't mean that it is legally a campus.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Liberty wrote:I honestly don't know, but just because TAMU claims it is a campus doesn't mean that it is legally a campus.
This has me wondering when is campus not campus, TAMU owns a lot of land in this area not all of which is used for university buildings/activities.
"I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place." - Oliver Cromwell 1653 :smilelol5:

rotor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rotor »

How would the average person even know they were on a college campus? No signs. Glad the cop was nice so you didn't "take the ride" so they say.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

The airport is listed on the campus map. Unless posted you could carry concealed there..... What's the big deal?

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

WTR wrote:The airport is listed on the campus map. Unless posted you could carry concealed there..... What's the big deal?
The unwary could believe it is OK to open carry on the property. The peoperty isn't posted 30.07.
Liberty''s Blog

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I would have untucked my shirt ...Concealed.....problem solved.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Liberty wrote:
WTR wrote:The airport is listed on the campus map. Unless posted you could carry concealed there..... What's the big deal?
The unwary could believe it is OK to open carry on the property. The peoperty isn't posted 30.07.
Yet another distinction that should have been clarified when the campus carry law was passed. What constitutes a campus? TAMU owns, and leases a lot of property for farming. Would someone be in violation if they happened to find themselves unknowingly on land miles away from any known campus?
I'm sure other universities are the same way. a lot of property is deeded to colleges, by deceased alumni. There needs to be a definitive definition of a campus.

The security guard was mistaken, in that even if it was part of the "campus" concealed carry was legal, unless posted.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Jusme wrote:
Liberty wrote:
Yet another distinction that should have been clarified when the campus carry law was passed. What constitutes a campus? TAMU owns, and leases a lot of property for farming. Would someone be in violation if they happened to find themselves unknowingly on land miles away from any known campus?
I'm sure other universities are the same way. a lot of property is deeded to colleges, by deceased alumni. There needs to be a definitive definition of a campus.

The security guard was mistaken, in that even if it was part of the "campus" concealed carry was legal, unless posted.
See the post above where the document says 'Campus - means all land and buildings owned or leased by Texas A&M',

The document spells it out. Cop was correct in that they do not allow open carry and the land does not have to be posted. However, unless posted, the OP had not been given notice until he was notified by the TAMU police officer. When he was, he could have said 'Oops, unaware and will conceal', but he may not have had a method to cover it up if it was a large gun and he did not have a way to do so with the clothing he was wearing.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Keith B wrote: The document spells it out. Cop was correct in that they do not allow open carry and the land does not have to be posted. However, unless posted, the OP had not been given notice until he was notified by the TAMU police officer. When he was, he could have said 'Oops, unaware and will conceal', but he may not have had a method to cover it up if it was a large gun and he did not have a way to do so with the clothing he was wearing.
I thought of trying to cover up but I was not wearing a loose shirt so there would have been some very blatant printing. I did not want to provoke the situation with my wife there, especially as while we were talking my daughter's flight had just landed. Therefore it was easier to walk the 30 yds across the lot to my truck and put the weapon in my console vault. I untuck and cover whenever I go to HEB or Whataburger.

This is what I was carrying that night:

aero10

Post by aero10 »

Liberty wrote:But is it a part of the campus? Is the property attached to the rest of the university? Apparently, they aren't using the airport for educational purposes. The OP should have been only asked to cover-up instead of having to go to his car.
Yes it is attached. There are multiple labs on airport property over at the general aviation terminal. The airport is also, or was up until recently, used for educational purposes because the Aerospace Engineering Department has a flight research lab at a hangar on the general aviation ramp that they performed flight testing out of.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”