HB435 Emergency Services Personnel

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

parabelum
Senior Member
Posts: 1814
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:22 pm

Re: HB435 Emergency Services Personnel

Postby parabelum » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:33 am

It was sent to Gov. for signing on 5/30. Does anyone have an update? I can't seem to find anything after 5/30.
III%


TreyHouston
Senior Member
Posts: 1015
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Tomball

Re: HB435 Emergency Services Personnel

Postby TreyHouston » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:56 am

parabelum wrote:It was sent to Gov. for signing on 5/30. Does anyone have an update? I can't seem to find anything after 5/30.


There isn't any press on this anywhere! If not read on this forum, I don't think anyone would even know about this! Very odd. Perhaps a hush hush kinda thing?
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:


Papa_Tiger
Senior Member
Posts: 453
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:55 am

Re: HB435 Emergency Services Personnel

Postby Papa_Tiger » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:12 pm

TreyHouston wrote:
parabelum wrote:It was sent to Gov. for signing on 5/30. Does anyone have an update? I can't seem to find anything after 5/30.


There isn't any press on this anywhere! If not read on this forum, I don't think anyone would even know about this! Very odd. Perhaps a hush hush kinda thing?

The best place to go for info is the TLO site:
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/

You can search for the bill by using the "Search Legislation" box in the middle of your screen. Just make sure that the "Legislature" box is set to 85(R) - 2017 and that the "Bill Number" radio button is selected.

By default, it will take you to the history tab which gives the most recent information on the bill. If you want to see a graphic of the process, go to the "Bill Stages" tab.

Voila! You know exactly as much as everyone else does, and I've taught a man to fish!

If the Governor doesn't veto it, HB435 will become law on June 18, 2017 with an effective date of September 1, 2017.


Topic author
locke_n_load
Senior Member
Posts: 922
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: HB435 Emergency Services Personnel

Postby locke_n_load » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 pm

Looks like I need to join the Texas State Guard soon.
"They that would give up Essential Liberty, for a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"

EDC - Glock 26 Gen IV
CHL Holder since 10/08

User avatar

parabelum
Senior Member
Posts: 1814
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:22 pm

Re: HB435 Emergency Services Personnel

Postby parabelum » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:43 pm

Papa_Tiger wrote:
TreyHouston wrote:
parabelum wrote:It was sent to Gov. for signing on 5/30. Does anyone have an update? I can't seem to find anything after 5/30.


There isn't any press on this anywhere! If not read on this forum, I don't think anyone would even know about this! Very odd. Perhaps a hush hush kinda thing?

The best place to go for info is the TLO site:
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/

You can search for the bill by using the "Search Legislation" box in the middle of your screen. Just make sure that the "Legislature" box is set to 85(R) - 2017 and that the "Bill Number" radio button is selected.

By default, it will take you to the history tab which gives the most recent information on the bill. If you want to see a graphic of the process, go to the "Bill Stages" tab.

Voila! You know exactly as much as everyone else does, and I've taught a man to fish!

If the Governor doesn't veto it, HB435 will become law on June 18, 2017 with an effective date of September 1, 2017.


Thank you sir. :tiphat:
III%


Alf
Member
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:06 pm

Re: HB435 Emergency Services Personnel

Postby Alf » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:01 pm

locke_n_load wrote:Looks like I need to join the Texas State Guard soon.

It's worthwhile work but I don't see the TSG in the HB435 text. Did it get added later? With the stipend for training and while activated, TSG wouldn't qualify as unpaid volunteers.


TreyHouston
Senior Member
Posts: 1015
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Tomball

Re: HB435 Emergency Services Personnel

Postby TreyHouston » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:58 pm

Alf wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:Looks like I need to join the Texas State Guard soon.

It's worthwhile work but I don't see the TSG in the HB435 text. Did it get added later? With the stipend for training and while activated, TSG wouldn't qualify as unpaid volunteers.


TXSG recieves orders and provides security for civil purposes (loosely explained) and they do not recieve pay. Only pay is responding to actual emergencies (hurricanes and floods) do they get paid.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:


Topic author
locke_n_load
Senior Member
Posts: 922
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: HB435 Emergency Services Personnel

Postby locke_n_load » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:11 pm

Alf wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:Looks like I need to join the Texas State Guard soon.

It's worthwhile work but I don't see the TSG in the HB435 text. Did it get added later? With the stipend for training and while activated, TSG wouldn't qualify as unpaid volunteers.


I don't know if "stipend" would be the same as getting paid, as they only get that if "deployed" and seems more like a reimbursement to me. They pay for their own uniforms to my understanding, don't know who wouldn't consider them volunteers.

HB435 text:
(18) "Volunteer emergency services personnel"
includes a volunteer firefighter, an emergency medical services
volunteer as defined by Section 773.003, Health and Safety Code,
and any individual who, as a volunteer, provides services for the
benefit of the general public during emergency situations
.


I can't think of a group that meets the latter definition to a T.
"They that would give up Essential Liberty, for a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"

EDC - Glock 26 Gen IV
CHL Holder since 10/08


ninjabread
Senior Member
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:12 pm

Re: HB435 Emergency Services Personnel

Postby ninjabread » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:17 pm

locke_n_load wrote:HB435 text:
(18) "Volunteer emergency services personnel"
includes a volunteer firefighter, an emergency medical services
volunteer as defined by Section 773.003, Health and Safety Code,
and any individual who, as a volunteer, provides services for the
benefit of the general public during emergency situations
.


I can't think of a group that meets the latter definition to a T.

I think the Red Cross meets that definition to a T for the volunteers but not the paid employees.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

User avatar

SRO1911
Senior Member
Posts: 716
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: Abilene, TX

Re: HB435 Emergency Services Personnel

Postby SRO1911 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:40 pm

Join your local VFD, legitimate way to serve your community, excellent training, occasionally fun, occasionally terrifying.
When any govt, or church,says This you can't read, are forbidden to know, the result is tyranny and oppression. Little force is needed to control a man who has been hoodwinked; no force can control a free man, not the rack, bombs, not anything, you can't conquer a free man, at most you can kill him.


loktite
Senior Member
Posts: 401
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:13 pm

Re: HB435 Emergency Services Personnel

Postby loktite » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:18 am

locke_n_load wrote:HB435 text:
(18) "Volunteer emergency services personnel"
includes a volunteer firefighter, an emergency medical services
volunteer as defined by Section 773.003, Health and Safety Code,
and any individual who, as a volunteer, provides services for the
benefit of the general public during emergency situations
.


I can't think of a group that meets the latter definition to a T.


HAM radio operators :biggrinjester:
NRA Endowment Member


NotRPB
Senior Member
Posts: 941
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 8:24 am

Re: HB435 Emergency Services Personnel

Postby NotRPB » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:35 am

loktite wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:HB435 text:
(18) "Volunteer emergency services personnel"
includes a volunteer firefighter, an emergency medical services
volunteer as defined by Section 773.003, Health and Safety Code,
and any individual who, as a volunteer, provides services for the
benefit of the general public during emergency situations
.


I can't think of a group that meets the latter definition to a T.


HAM radio operators :biggrinjester:

Around Marble Falls, Central Texas/ Highland Lakes, I believe that several Hams (HLARC HIGHLAND LAKES AMATEUR RADIO CLUB meets at EMS in Marble Falls http://hlarc.org/ )

are also CERT

Community Emergency Response Teams
which is exactly Community Volunteers providing Emergency Response

you can find one in your county or by zip code
https://www.google.com/search?q=cert&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Burnet County CERT
http://www.burnetcountytexas.org/defaul ... e=oem.home

CERT Application (Burnet County CERT)
Restrictions:
Must be 18 years of age or older
A criminal background check will take place prior to acceptance as a volunteer


Application Process:
1.Please submit the completed application to
.....redacted ,,,,
2.Attend 22 hours of core training
3.Complete a criminal background check


Volunteers:

Are issued identifying items such as ID cards, caps, shirts or patches


Receive local and national recognition and a
wards for outstanding volunteer efforts

May receive positive recommendations for job applications

Gain experience that may help in perusing job opportunities

Receive training that teaches new skills and develops new interest

http://www.burnetcountytexas.org/users/ ... %20PDF.pdf

You don't have to be a HAM Radio Operator to be in CERT, but ... both help in Emergencies so why not.

Online CERT Training Materials
https://www.fema.gov/training-materials

User avatar

parabelum
Senior Member
Posts: 1814
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:22 pm

Re: HB435 Emergency Services Personnel

Postby parabelum » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:54 am

SRO1911 wrote:Join your local VFD, legitimate way to serve your community, excellent training, occasionally fun, occasionally terrifying.



:iagree:

You will be not only helping out your community, but you'll also receive valuable training and certification in Fire/EMS. Getting pass the 06/07 signs is just an added bonus.

If you are older and/or unable to run calls, many departments would love to have your help at the administrative end.

User avatar

SRO1911
Senior Member
Posts: 716
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: Abilene, TX

Re: HB435 Emergency Services Personnel

Postby SRO1911 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:03 pm

We have had 2 inquiries already ad a result of this legislation. While it may not be the best motive to join, it helps.
We will be discussing the definition and requirements for maintaining " membership" in the very near future.

If you are going to join, at least make an effort to be a part of the team.
When any govt, or church,says This you can't read, are forbidden to know, the result is tyranny and oppression. Little force is needed to control a man who has been hoodwinked; no force can control a free man, not the rack, bombs, not anything, you can't conquer a free man, at most you can kill him.


apostate
Senior Member
Posts: 1951
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:01 am
Location: Houston Texas

Re: HB435 Emergency Services Personnel

Postby apostate » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:48 pm

TreyHouston wrote:Only pay is responding to actual emergencies (hurricanes and floods) do they get paid.

I wasn't paid for helping neighbors after Ike, so I should qualify for the 30.06 loophole as much as any "paid volunteer" does, if not more.


Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Liberty, oljames3, PhilBob and 5 guests