United Blood Services 30.06 sign need your opinion

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

rtschl
Posts in topic: 2

Re: United Blood Services 30.06 sign need your opinion

Post by rtschl »

I won't go to Carter Blood Care location for the same reason. However, I recently donated on their mobile bus while open carrying. They came to our site and I was in my security uniform. No one said anything or had any issues. I did take off my duty belt and have it across my legs with the barrel pointed down to the ground to my side closest to the window. Kind of relished ignoring their gunbuster sign even though I was carrying under the authority of my security license and not my LTC at the time. But I think some others did CC past gunbuster sign.
:biggrinjester:
Ron
NRA Member

treeman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by treeman »

I too doubt their excuse - and would more likely believe the possibility of someone "checking" his or her concealed carry piece. I have donated through Carter for years. They come to our church every three months or so and set up - no 30.06 signage ever and I have been armed every time - no problems for them or me. I didn't realize until a year or so ago that they were posting their main locations.

Does United Blood Services set up for donations at satalite locations like churches or libraries and do they post then?

Topic author
theHunter

Post by theHunter »

Not sure if their mobile truck is posted or not, I will have to find the location of one this weekend and see if it has a sign.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

theHunter wrote:Not sure if their mobile truck is posted or not, I will have to find the location of one this weekend and see if it has a sign.
Can a mobile vehicle be posted? It is not premises, and it is not a building or portion of a building, and it is not real property...
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

AJSully421 wrote:
theHunter wrote:Not sure if their mobile truck is posted or not, I will have to find the location of one this weekend and see if it has a sign.
Can a mobile vehicle be posted? It is not premises, and it is not a building or portion of a building, and it is not real property...
Good question. The one I was on was not posted but had a gun buster/no guns sign inside.
Ron
NRA Member

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

AJSully421 wrote:
i asked that exact question of Carter Blood Care and, as expected, received no response. Like others, I was a multi-gallon donor and before Open Carry became effective, never had a problem with them. They sent out emails, citing employee safety, etc as the reason for suddenly posting 30.06 and 30.07 signs, just like United Blood Services. I asked them what, besides the passage of Open Carry, was the reason for the policy change. I think the answer is that they didn't know that they could post property before.

I sent them several letters, telling them that I would return as soon as the signs came down and that I was disappointed that their politics had replaced their desire to save lives. I figured that they were a financially driven organization and when the donations trailed off, they would reconsider. Thus far, they have not. I strongly believe that Carter, and perhaps United, would rather cease operations than to give up clinging to the failed political ideology. So be it.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

To answer your questions: (1) I would donate blood. My reasons are because of personal experience. A donor with a rare blood type saved the life of a relative. So, I am biased on the subject.

(2) The excuse does not hold water.

There are a few locations that I would visit if they are posted. I would disarm to go to a hospital as a patient or to see a loved one. Donating blood to help others is another.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Abraham
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Abraham »

If you have a chance to donate where you're disarmed vs another that doesn't require disarming - which would you choose to donate to?

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Abraham wrote:If you have a chance to donate where you're disarmed vs another that doesn't require disarming - which would you choose to donate to?
Same answer as in any other similar situation. Given the choice, I go where I am wanted. I'm shopping mostly at Walmart and seldom going inside HEB.

Regretfully, I cannot donate blood because I was in the military in Europe (Germany) 78-81 and 84-86. That is usually one of the last questions on the list.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

oljames3 wrote:
Abraham wrote:If you have a chance to donate where you're disarmed vs another that doesn't require disarming - which would you choose to donate to?
Same answer as in any other similar situation. Given the choice, I go where I am wanted. I'm shopping mostly at Walmart and seldom going inside HEB.

Regretfully, I cannot donate blood because I was in the military in Europe (Germany) 78-81 and 84-86. That is usually one of the last questions on the list.
Neither Europe nor the military is usually a disqualification. If that is so, I have been giving unqualified blood.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

These companies are "non-profits" but they make a lot of money. They pay well, have good insurance plans for their employees as well as good retirement plans. Their people make a very good salary. Almost like working for the government. They exist on donations of blood and lab services which they sell off at a very expensive price. They are not charities working for the poor. Yes, their work does provide a life saving product but it is not free or charity, they sell what you give them (at a very high price). You might as well bring in a gold bar and give it to them except your body does not make little ingots. In the long run your blood products help individuals that need that blood but don't assume these companies are in it for humanity. They induce you to come in on the humanity issue but they make their money selling your blood. Those pay for donation centers that take your plasma and platelets are in it for the money too but at least they pay you and you know that it is after all, a business.
Now it again comes back to just like any retail business. Do they want your business or not? You decide. For me 30.06 means they don't want my business. Funeral homes are beneficial for society too but I plan on not providing any business for as long as possible and I won't use a company that forces friends and relatives to disarm.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Abraham »

Rotor,

Great post!

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

I donate platelets at LifeShare in Texarkana. I stopped going for a while after the 30.06 sign went up. Most of the people who work there think the idea is about as smart as a screen door in a submarine, but they don’t make the rules. They begged me to come back because I’m always good for a double unit and sometimes three. Platelets only last six days, so there is always a need,
My bout with bladder cancer required blood products. I also had the unusual situation of knowing on one occasion that a friend benefited directly from my donation.
The folks at the center explained that they had no choice about posting the sign but assured me they had no intention of searching me for a concealed weapon. ( hint. hint. wink. wink.) I’m just not wired that way. If I go in, I’ll do it legally.
I don’t condemn anybody for for which ever way the come down on this, but in my case, I know for a fact that my donation has saved at least one life, and strongly suspect the number is much higher. I disarm and donate.
It still grinds my gizzard that the hight and nighty at LifeShare are more concerned with making a political point than saving lives.

rotor

Post by rotor »

BigGuy, I personally can't fault you. Because you donate (and I am sure others do as well) there is no reason for the center to remove their 30.06. They use your compassion for humanity to promote their ill advised and ridiculous policy of posting 30.06. They also make money off of you (lots too) which is doubly insulting. I am willing to bet that they have no security to protect you in a "situation" while you have a needle in your arm. Seriously, do you believe you would be at fault if someone died because management posted a 30.06 and you failed to enter the business? Who would be at fault if you were shot while donating or if your firearm were stolen from your car?

Reality is that short of some legislative change we have only one method of deterring 30.06/30.07 posting and that is by hitting these stores in the wallet.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Rotor, would they be at fault? Nope, they would not. But they would sell the bloob back to you in a heartbeat! When i was in the military, i would get $25 for whole blood donation. Not sure what the going rate for free blood is in the hospital, i read about $300 per pint. "I don't know bout tat" but I do know that if donations drop enough, they will either have to remove the signs for pay people. Im fine either wat. There are many places I can "donate" my blood for some extra cash!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”