Knife Law

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tommyg
Posts in topic: 5

Knife Law

Post by tommyg »

I know this is off the usual path. Does anyone know if the knife repeal passed into law

if so when does it go into effect. any info appreciatd :confused5
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Knife Law

Post by K.Mooneyham »

HB 1935 made it through the House and Senate, and awaits signature by Governor Abbott. Even if he doesn't sign it, if he doesn't veto it, it will still become law, to the best of my knowledge.

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Hmmm, this part seems to partly contradict what I have previously heard about the new knife law:

House Bill 1935 – This legislation repeals the prohibition on the possession or carrying of knives such as daggers, dirks, stilettos and Bowies, by eliminating them from the prohibited weapons section of the Texas Penal Code. Restrictions remain in place for possession or carrying of knives with a blade over 5 ½ inches long in public places and penalties are enhanced for carrying those in the same locations where the possession of firearms is prohibited, generally. Sent to governor on May 30. If signed, would take effect on September 1. Please thank Rep. John Frullo (R-Lubbock) for sponsoring and passing this legislation.

So will it still be illegal to carry a 6" blade in a public place?
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Tylerscott20

Post by Tylerscott20 »

RossA wrote:Hmmm, this part seems to partly contradict what I have previously heard about the new knife law:

House Bill 1935 – This legislation repeals the prohibition on the possession or carrying of knives such as daggers, dirks, stilettos and Bowies, by eliminating them from the prohibited weapons section of the Texas Penal Code. Restrictions remain in place for possession or carrying of knives with a blade over 5 ½ inches long in public places and penalties are enhanced for carrying those in the same locations where the possession of firearms is prohibited, generally. Sent to governor on May 30. If signed, would take effect on September 1. Please thank Rep. John Frullo (R-Lubbock) for sponsoring and passing this legislation.

So will it still be illegal to carry a 6" blade in a public place?
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/85 ... 01935F.htm

(6) "Location-restricted [Illegal] knife" means a[:
[(A)] knife with a blade over five and one-half
inches[;

The bill then goes on to say that it is illegal to carry a location restricted knife if one is under 18 and not on premises/vehicle or enroute to them, or under parent/guardian supervision.

The bill then amends section 46.05 to make carrying a location restricted knife in any place that it is statutorily illegal to carry a handgun by an LTC. I believe the only exception is government meeting subject to the Open Meetings Act AND colleges.

So, come September 1st any knife over 5.5 inches will be legal to carry in most places in public.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

5.5" isn't bad. A lot of different knives come in under that length. I would rather just get rid of the limit all together.

Topic author
tommyg

Post by tommyg »

Governor Abbot just signed a bill HB 1935 that greatly eases the Knife laws in Texas

as of September 1 2017 Knives over 5.5 are ok to carry except in churches,colleges,schools hospitals and 51% bars
Bowie knives are going to be ok as of September 1 2017 as well

Watch it at post offices and other federal buildings too bad state does not have authority over the feds

:thewave

VoodooSan

Post by VoodooSan »

tommyg wrote:Governor Abbot just signed a bill HB 1935 that greatly eases the Knife laws in Texas

as of September 1 2017 Knives over 5.5 are ok to carry except in churches,colleges,schools hospitals and 51% bars
Bowie knives are going to be ok as of September 1 2017 as well

Watch it at post offices and other federal buildings too bad state does not have authority over the feds

:thewave
Been waiting for this. Not that I want to carry a huge blade but there some knives I would like to carry on occasion that are 5.5 to 6 inches

Topic author
tommyg

Post by tommyg »

The only knife I usually carry is a Swiss army longest blade 2.5

:thumbs2: It is good to see a useless law that get innocent people in trouble go away

stash

Post by stash »

I am just trying to get this straight in my mind. Am I correct in thinking I can carry a knife over 5.5 in. long in a church or hospital as long there is no 06/07 sign posted (after 9/1/17) or am I misreading something. I don't carry a knife short or long but I'm just trying to get this straight.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

EastTexasRancher

Post by EastTexasRancher »

tommyg wrote:The only knife I usually carry is a Swiss army longest blade 2.5
Fellow forum members, we need to start a GoFundMe account to get this feller a proper knife!!! :smilelol5:

ELB

Post by ELB »

stash wrote:I am just trying to get this straight in my mind. Am I correct in thinking I can carry a knife over 5.5 in. long in a church or hospital as long there is no 06/07 sign posted (after 9/1/17) or am I misreading something. I don't carry a knife short or long but I'm just trying to get this straight.
No, as I read it there is no requirement for "effective notice". Altho the list of forbidden places is nearly identical to the one for LTC carry, it is not the same list and does not have the same exceptions or requirements for effective notice. LRKs are just flat forbidden in those locations. SAD!
USAF 1982-2005

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

EastTexasRancher wrote:
tommyg wrote:The only knife I usually carry is a Swiss army longest blade 2.5
Fellow forum members, we need to start a GoFundMe account to get this feller a proper knife!!! :smilelol5:
Maybe but, I bet he gets more use out of his little 2.5" knife than most people do with their full sized Bowie. :biggrinjester:

I love my little pen knives, but I must agree they aren't much use defensively.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jusme »

Maybe but, I bet he gets more use out of his little 2.5" knife than most people do with their full sized Bowie. :biggrinjester: [/quote]

Story of my life!!
:biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
tommyg

check out this link

Post by tommyg »

http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/5-th ... as-9573461

This may help clarify new law take effect 9-1-2017

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”