CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 1

Re: check out this link

Post by treadlightly »

tommyg wrote:http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/5-th ... as-9573461

This may help clarify new law take effect 9-1-2017
What in the wide, wide world of sports was that writer thinking when he wrote this, quoting directly from the article:
Rep. John Frullo and Rep. Harold Dutton’s co-sponsored bill also removes the definition of “illegal knife” from Section 46.01(6) of the penal code, including the prohibition on double-edged switchblades favored by greasers in the Outsider movies.
Since the movie plot apparently features a group called The Greasers, I think I would have written that as "...favored by The Greasers in the Outsider movies."

But there I go, forgetting my role as a racist beneficiary of white privilege, finding fault with harmless but questionably egalitarian expression.

apostate

Re: Knife Law

Post by apostate »

I thought switchblades were already legal. :headscratch

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jusme »

apostate wrote:I thought switchblades were already legal. :headscratch

They are, and the writer obviously doesn't know the history, of how they became illegal. They were not made illegal because of the Outsiders, but rather that other, scary gang related movie, West Side Story. I guess legislators were afraid the youth of Texas were suddenly going to start dancing with knives. :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Chemist45
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Chemist45 »

And the switchblades in both movies were single edged.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

So I haven't paid much attention to bill 1935. Apparently it has passed. Now the press is picking it up and since some of my friends know I have a LTC, it seems they think I know all about it.

All I know about knives is that I use them in the kitchen, don't bring a knife to a gun fight, the 30 foot rule, and you cut away from yourself. That's from Cub Scouts right?

After September 1, anyone can carry a spear, sword, machete, or Bowie knife in public, with the exception of the places we currently can't LTC. Right?

Businesses will have to put up another sign, if they want to keep Conan the Barbarian types outside.

Does it have to be open carry, or can you conceal carry any knife?

When I was six, I always thought Zorro was a cool guy. But then there is that pesky, don't bring a knife gunfight thing. Katanas are still really cool, but in the Last Samurai, they all died as well.

Its easy to go to the range and practice. Hard to practice and get good with a knife or sword.

What about collapseable battons, are they legal yet?

And there was an overpowering need for this bill because? Freedom? Memory of Jim Bowie?

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

philip964 wrote:So I haven't paid much attention to bill 1935. Apparently it has passed. Now the press is picking it up and since some of my friends know I have a LTC, it seems they think I know all about it.

All I know about knives is that I use them in the kitchen, don't bring a knife to a gun fight, the 30 foot rule, and you cut away from yourself. That's from Cub Scouts right?

After September 1, anyone can carry a spear, sword, machete, or Bowie knife in public, with the exception of the places we currently can't LTC. Right?

Businesses will have to put up another sign, if they want to keep Conan the Barbarian types outside.

When I was six, I always thought Zorro was a cool guy. But then there is that pesky, don't bring a knife gunfight thing. Katanas are still really cool, but in the Last Samurai, they all died as well.

Its easy to go to the range and practice. Hard to practice and get good with a knife or sword.

And there was an overpowering need for this bill because? Freedom? Memory of Jim Bowie?
The main reason for the need to repeal the knife law had nothing to do with people carrying broadswords everywhere, they are heavy and very few I'll carry them anyway. The knife laws were so convoluted, and filled with exceptions, that they were past being rediculous. There was never a definitive definition of a Bowie knife, blades sharpened on two edges were no more deadly than those sharpened on only one, a machete could be carried, if one was engaged in its normal use, and, as you stated most kitchen knives would have been illegal due to their length.
These laws have only been used to charge someone with a crime, when no other charge could be levied, or to enhance a misdomenor, by adding an illegal knife charge.

Any law that is only trying criminalize an inanimate object, without it being used in a crime is, in my opinion, as illogical as gun laws. I don't expect a huge surge in mall ninjas, or Conan the Barbarians invading Starbucks.JMHO

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

Philip964 wrote
Freedom is all the reason I need.

rotor

Post by rotor »

philip964 wrote:So I haven't paid much attention to bill 1935. Apparently it has passed. Now the press is picking it up and since some of my friends know I have a LTC, it seems they think I know all about it.

From what I gather you can't carry a LCR knife into a hospital, church, nursing facility, etc. You can carry a firearm into those places unless posted. So, LCR knife seems to be more restricted. Correct me if I am wrong. This doesn't address batons and the legality of carry with a LTC and a gun is still debated.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

rotor wrote:

From what I gather you can't carry a LCR knife into a hospital, church, nursing facility, etc. You can carry a firearm into those places unless posted. So, LCR knife seems to be more restricted. Correct me if I am wrong. This doesn't address batons and the legality of carry with a LTC and a gun is still debated.

I agree the whole prohibited weapons laws need to be revamped. An expandable baton, should not become illegal until it is used to inflict harm. Neither should brass knuckles or any other inanimate object. A citizen, not committing a crime, should be free to walk around in public with anything, without suddenly becoming a criminal, just because similar objects have been used irresponsibly. Should they outlaw matches because arsonists have used them to burn things?
If we don't retake our freedoms, they will continue to be removed one item at a time.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Regarding the part of your post that I bolded, you have it backwards. There should be an overpowering need in order to restrict freedom. Unless there is an absolute and compelling need for a specific restriction, then things should be legal. If we applied your standard to everything, then most things would be illegal.

Also, I will note that you can set up a target and practice with a knife in your backyard. It's kind of hard to practice shooting your firearm as easily, unless you have a really big backyard.

Topic author
tommyg
Posts in topic: 5

Post by tommyg »

Watch it concerning knives at post offices and other fed facilities . feds have knife laws too,
I don't know as much about the fed knife laws as I need to :???:
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

rotor

Post by rotor »

tommyg wrote:Watch it concerning knives at post offices and other fed facilities . feds have knife laws too,
I don't know as much about the fed knife laws as I need to :???:
18 U.S.C. sec. 930(g)(2)
Blade length 2 1/2" or less is legal. I don't know if automatic is legal but I could not find any Federal law that made it illegal to own. Blade length is the critical issue at a Federal property. Doesn't mean that people there know the law and may still confiscate or worse.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I'm reviving this one because there's a knife I was considering getting.

The two knives I carry are a Kershaw Blur (always when not at work) and a Cold Steel Recon Tanto (usually only when I'm going someplace I can't carry my Glock). However, I've been considering a fixed blade since the laws changed. I've had a big Bowie knife since sometime in the mid 80's, but it's in bad shape. I've used it as a camp knife to cut some wood and to trim small trees around the property. I would actually be somewhat ashamed to carry what used to be a beautiful knife around in public. So, I've looked for something new due to the new laws.

However, I'd like to get a couple of things straight first. I searched and found this thread because I was concerned about having a fixed blade knife with a blade over 5.5 inches on federal property, but not inside buildings. Then I also became concerned about having my CS Recon inside a public school.

I have also been encouraged by one of my fellow Patriot Guard Riders recently seen carrying a somewhat large fixed blade Ka-bar.This got me to thinking about when and where I would carry such a knife. My rides with the Patriot Guard often take me to the DFW National Cemetery. I think this is federal land and have not carried, even concealed, my Glock so far. Obviously, a large fixed blade (>5.5") knife is still illegal to have in a public school, but what about a place like DWFNC? The only building I've been in there is the restroom and it is unlikely that I would enter any other building there either. And now I'm also worried about having the CS-Recon there.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”