Any practical way to legally carry an AR Pistol?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Brazos_Jack
Posts in topic: 2

Any practical way to legally carry an AR Pistol?

Post by Brazos_Jack »

I didn't know where to post this.

AR15 pistols. They are too big to conceal. There are no belt or shoulder holsters that I know of and I see no way to make one that would be practical to use. AR pistols are really intended to be carried with a 1 or 2 point sling. It would be legal to carry a "rifle" or "shotgun" this way, but not an AR pistol.

I hope in the next session will address this and allow handguns longer than "X" (15"?, 20"?, 26"?) to be carried like long arms by CHL/LTC holders.

In the mean time, have any of you figured out anything that works?

CoffeeNut
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Any practical way to legally carry an AR Pistol?

Post by CoffeeNut »

Brazos_Jack wrote:I didn't know where to post this.

AR15 pistols. They are too big to conceal. There are no belt or shoulder holsters that I know of and I see no way to make one that would be practical to use. AR pistols are really intended to be carried with a 1 or 2 point sling. It would be legal to carry a "rifle" or "shotgun" this way, but not an AR pistol.

I hope in the next session will address this and allow handguns longer than "X" (15"?, 20"?, 26"?) to be carried like long arms by CHL/LTC holders.

Someone made a holster a while ago that held an AR pistol on your hip by inserting the magazine through the holster.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014 ... r-holster/
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I don't know of any holster for an AR-15 "pistol" nor is there any chance that Texas law will change to allow the carrying of an AR-15 pistol openly.

Buy a LAW Tactical folding stock adapter, get NFA paperwork for an SBR and that will be legal under current Texas law. Then, if you carry it openly, get ready for LEO's to be asking how your day is going, are you mad at anyone, why are you walking by this school, have you taken your meds today, did you get fired or divorced recently, who do you pray to, etc. Obviously, I mean this somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but carrying a short AR-15 around is going to draw a lot of unwanted attention. Having one in your car or truck, or even your briefcase is one thing, but walking around with one that everyone can see will make you the center of attention.

Chas.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Brazos_Jack wrote: AR15 pistols. They are too big to conceal. There are no belt or shoulder holsters that I know of and I see no way to make one that would be practical to use. AR pistols are really intended to be carried with a 1 or 2 point sling. It would be legal to carry a "rifle" or "shotgun" this way, but not an AR pistol.

Find a backpack that works for you. There are a lot of slingpacks, etc that people use for discreeting carrrying an AR Pistol.

If you aren't talking about discreet, then what Charles says below. :mrgreen:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:I don't know of any holster for an AR-15 "pistol" nor is there any chance that Texas law will change to allow the carrying of an AR-15 pistol openly.

Buy a LAW Tactical folding stock adapter, get NFA paperwork for an SBR and that will be legal under current Texas law. Then, if you carry it openly, get ready for LEO's to be asking how your day is going, are you mad at anyone, why are you walking by this school, have you taken your meds today, did you get fired or divorced recently, who do you pray to, etc. Obviously, I mean this somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but carrying a short AR-15 around is going to draw a lot of unwanted attention. Having one in your car or truck, or even your briefcase is one thing, but walking around with one that everyone can see will make you the center of attention.

Chas.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I don't know of any holster for an AR-15 "pistol" nor is there any chance that Texas law will change to allow the carrying of an AR-15 pistol openly.

Chas.
Wouldn't walking by a school with an AR rifle be violating the GFSZA, even if you had an LTC?
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

jason812

Post by jason812 »

bblhd672 wrote:
Find a backpack that works for you.
:iagree: Depending on barrel length and backpack, the Law Tactical adapter may or may not be needed but it sure makes it easier.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Topic author
Brazos_Jack

Post by Brazos_Jack »

I mainly would want to have it in my vehicle in a way that it would be quickly deployable in an emergency. Not necessarily on my person unless walking around my own property.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Brazos_Jack wrote:I mainly would want to have it in my vehicle in a way that it would be quickly deployable in an emergency. Not necessarily on my person unless walking around my own property.
I have a 16" AR-15 with a short LEO-entry stock that fits behind the passenger seat of my car. I've thought about putting a LAW Tactical folding-stock adapter on it to make it even smaller.

Chas.

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Brazos_Jack wrote:I mainly would want to have it in my vehicle in a way that it would be quickly deployable in an emergency. Not necessarily on my person unless walking around my own property.
I have a 16" AR-15 with a short LEO-entry stock that fits behind the passenger seat of my car. I've thought about putting a LAW Tactical folding-stock adapter on it to make it even smaller.

Chas.
Deadfoot Arms makes a folder with a modified BCG and buffer system that allows you to fire the weapon while folded. ITs a little pricey, but the reviews I have read are good and it is more useful, IMO, than a folder that you can't fire folded.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

There are a couple options depending on your vehicle, whether you have kids in the vehicle, and how elaborate you want it.

You could just get an appropriately sized soft case, and keep it under your front seat, on the left side of the passenger's foot well, or someplace else that is within reach. You could also rig up some type of mount in a similar place. Something like this might work.

https://arma15.com/products

It even has a lock. But you would need to put a cloth or something over it, of course.

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

Backpack. Skateboard bag. Tennis racquet bag. Sneaky bag.

In a vehicle, it only needs to be concealed from plain view. I keep mine in the trunk with a couple of mags in a bag.

You don't need a license to carry a handgun on your own property, concealed or not doesn't matter.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

OP, if you really want an AR15 belt holster, this is the only one I've seen:

https://www.facebook.com/RedlineProGear
http://www.airsoftgi.com/product/Redlin ... ack-20421/
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Having one in your car or truck, or even your briefcase is one thing, but walking around with one that everyone can see will make you the center of attention.
There is a significant portion of open carriers who seem to think that this is a feature, not a bug.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Hazard 4 Takedown bag. Holds a 28"ish AR pistol and has plenty of room for magazines, IFAK, and basic get home gear.

I like the well thought out long square design. Keeps everything very compact. I had a 5.11 AR bag but it was too wide, too flat, and too long.

It does have Molle all over it so it has the tactical look, but anymore these days everyone is toting "tactical" bags around.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”