I seek knowledge

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

I seek knowledge

Post by cmgee67 »

I have heard from others and have seen articles talking about some states only let you carry a specific gun and that you have to register that gun and if you are caught carrying another gun that's not the one you registered you could get arrested or a serious fine? If this is true where? And also what difference does it make. It's your firearm who cares. That's an infringement of your rights right there Just like having to have a handgun license in the first place.

Also would you be able to carry a spare mag in places that have a 10 round capacity limit?

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Re: I seek knowledge

Post by Jusme »

cmgee67 wrote:I have heard from others and have seen articles talking about some states only let you carry a specific gun and that you have to register that gun and if you are caught carrying another gun that's not the one you registered you could get arrested or a serious fine? If this is true where? And also what difference does it make. It's your firearm who cares. That's an infringement of your rights right there Just like having to have a handgun license in the first place.

Also would you be able to carry a spare mag in places that have a 10 round capacity limit?

I don't know all of the State's Laws, but Commifornia, and New Jersey, are a couple that come to mind with restrictive gun laws, registration etc. You're right it is unconstitutional, but the sheeple there keep electing the same type of legislators enacted these laws.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I wonder why the giant cream puff they call governor (who is now term limited) doesn't help get those draconian gun laws changed.

He's supposed to be a Repub...

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

cmgee67 wrote:I have heard from others and have seen articles talking about some states only let you carry a specific gun and that you have to register that gun and if you are caught carrying another gun that's not the one you registered you could get arrested or a serious fine? If this is true where?
Yes, it is true. I believe that both NY and MA have such a requirement. I assume the same for some of the other New England states.
And also what difference does it make. It's your firearm who cares. That's an infringement of your rights right there Just like having to have a handgun license in the first place.
You're preaching to the choir bud. :mrgreen:
I believe that the answer to that is yes. Nobody that I am aware of has yet thought to limit the number of magazines one may have in one's possession - only the number of rounds for any such magazines. It would be my guess that, in those states that take such a dim view of the 2nd Amendment and individual liberty, the threshhold at which local authorities would define "number of magazines" as crossing over into "arsenal" territory would be much lower. I suspect that someone with a LTC in such restrictive states would be regarded askance for having more than one or two markup mags on his person......just as a general principle.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Abraham wrote:I wonder why the giant cream puff they call governor (who is now term limited) doesn't help get those draconian gun laws changed.

Because what passes for a republican in the northeast often bears a closer appearance to a liberal Texan democrat than anything else. Their view of the 2nd Amendment is that it preserves your permission - if you ask nicely enough - to own a $40,000 custom one-off over and under shotgun for upland bird hunting, but not your right to own or carry an AR15 or other militia-appropriate weapon.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Abraham wrote:I wonder why the giant cream puff they call governor (who is now term limited) doesn't help get those draconian gun laws changed.

He is also in the minority. He recently tried to improve the ability to obtain a LTC (or New Jersey's equivalent) by changing the language slightly. The legislature filed suit, and threatened even more restrictive laws, if he tried to push it through. They have the numbers to override his vetoes, so it never moved forward.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

rotor

Post by rotor »

Also ammo type. Hollow point in NJ legal only at the range. Bad enough that it is hard to carry a firearm but a felony with certain ammo.

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Lynyrd »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:
I believe that the answer to that is yes. Nobody that I am aware of has yet thought to limit the number of magazines one may have in one's possession - only the number of rounds for any such magazines
I have a son in Connecticut (Navy) and there is a limit on the number of magazines you may own. He is limited to two for his AR15 and the only reason he even gets to keep the AR is because he owned it before they were banned and he was grandfathered. He had to declare the gun and the mags and register them before the new law went into effect a couple of years ago. As for pistols, 10 round limit on mags, and no more than two mags. Finding more in your home is a bad no no.

At least that is what he has told me. I haven't read their law because I haven't taken guns to where he lives.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

doncb

Post by doncb »

We supposedly have republicans in our government here in Texas for all the good it does. :banghead:
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Lynyrd wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:
I believe that the answer to that is yes. Nobody that I am aware of has yet thought to limit the number of magazines one may have in one's possession - only the number of rounds for any such magazines
I have a son in Connecticut (Navy) and there is a limit on the number of magazines you may own. He is limited to two for his AR15 and the only reason he even gets to keep the AR is because he owned it before they were banned and he was grandfathered. He had to declare the gun and the mags and register them before the new law went into effect a couple of years ago. As for pistols, 10 round limit on mags, and no more than two mags. Finding more in your home is a bad no no.

At least that is what he has told me. I haven't read their law because I haven't taken guns to where he lives.
I don't see anything in CT law that limits the number of magazines you may own. The only restriction is that magazines over 10rds must have been owned before 4/5/13 and registered. You could buy 100 10rd AR15 magazines tomorrow in CT and be legal.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

ScottDLS wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:

I don't see anything in CT law that limits the number of magazines you may own. The only restriction is that magazines over 10rds must have been owned before 4/5/13 and registered. You could buy 100 10rd AR15 magazines tomorrow in CT and be legal.
You may be right. He has told me that he cannot buy any more 30 round mags for his AR. I thought the same held true for his pistols, but that may be my sometimers kicking in. The laws went crazy there a few years ago.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Lynyrd wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:

Wow, I didn't know that some states limit the number of mags one can own. Let's just say I would not be compliant for any of my guns that take mags. I guess my shotguns, lever action and bolt guns would be OK. Revolvers as well unless they limit speed loaders. Yet another reason to be glad I live in the actual USA and not in one of the SINO's (States In Name Only).

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:

Wow, I didn't know that some states limit the number of mags one can own. Let's just say I would not be compliant for any of my guns that take mags. I guess my shotguns, lever action and bolt guns would be OK. Revolvers as well unless they limit speed loaders. Yet another reason to be glad I live in the actual USA and not in one of the SINO's (States In Name Only).
I was wrong about this. After talking to my son, he said that he could only have two "large capacity" magazines, and those were okay because they were grandfathered when the law passed. Other than those, there is a 10 round limit, which would still make me illegal.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I seek freedom and you won't find it in Conn/Ny/Mass/and so on...

Were I offered a bazillion dollars to live in one of those places, I wouldn't.

Wait, I take that back.

I could hire all the gunmen I needed with a bazillion dollars.

That's what all the wealthy antis do and I would proclaim I'm pro-gun and have my body guards (now and again) show them their pew pews...and I would just smile and smile.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

cmgee67 wrote:I have heard from others and have seen articles talking about some states only let you carry a specific gun and that you have to register that gun and if you are caught carrying another gun that's not the one you registered you could get arrested or a serious fine? If this is true where? And also what difference does it make. It's your firearm who cares. That's an infringement of your rights right there Just like having to have a handgun license in the first place.

My understanding is that in NY the gun is registered to you by serial number and you cannot legally even let someone else shoot it at the range. I am surprised that anyone still lives there.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”