LTC, CHL. CHP...which is it in Texas?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
VoodooSan
Posts in topic: 2

LTC, CHL. CHP...which is it in Texas?

Post by VoodooSan »

I have had my CHL for years. To me its its "CHL" I see LTC mentioned alot. So what is the current common designation or are there differences?

Teamless
Posts in topic: 1

Re: LTC, CHL. CHP...which is it in Texas?

Post by Teamless »

CHl = concealed handgun license
Now that open or concealed its LTC
LTC = license to carry

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter (legally) what you call it, but as your license allows open or carry, calling it a CHL is a misnomer
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

VoodooSan wrote:I have had my CHL for years. To me its its "CHL" I see LTC mentioned alot. So what is the current common designation or are there differences?
Next time you renew, you will receive a LTC (License to Carry Handgun) instead of a CHL (Concealed Handgun License). The name change went into effect when Open Carry passed in 2016.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
VoodooSan

Post by VoodooSan »

bblhd672 wrote:
VoodooSan wrote:I have had my CHL for years. To me its its "CHL" I see LTC mentioned alot. So what is the current common designation or are there differences?
Next time you renew, you will receive a LTC (License to Carry Handgun) instead of a CHL (Concealed Handgun License). The name change went into effect when Open Carry passed in 2016.
Ha well look at that! I learn something new everyday! Thanks for that!

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

Most people who do not have this license do Google searches for CHL, rather than LTC, as they also don't understand what to call it. I see searches for LTC increasing, but slowly.

:thewave
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Also, there are historical names (like this website) which were created when CHL was the proper name. Most of those sites, companies, etc. don't want to go back and change their names after all of this time.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

VoodooSan wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:
When you next renew, your new plastic will read "License to Carry" instead of "Concealed Handgun License".
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

RossA wrote:Also, there are historical names (like this website) which were created when CHL was the proper name. Most of those sites, companies, etc. don't want to go back and change their names after all of this time.
Charles cleverly handled the change with a redirect: http://www.texasltcforum.com
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
VoodooSan wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:
When you next renew, your new plastic will read "License to Carry" instead of "Concealed Handgun License".
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

E10

Post by E10 »

Mine says "LICENSE TO CARRY HANDGUN". Because the article "to" is an infinitive marker of the base verb "carry", it doesn't deserve a place in the abbreviation. To me, "LCH" is a more accurate abbreviation, as well as a reasonable progression from the original "CHL". And calling it a "license to carry" begs the question: carry what?!

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

It will only say "CHP" if you are a member of the California Highway Patrol. :-)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”