Invited into a neighbor's home. Can I carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Invited into a neighbor's home. Can I carry?

Post by twomillenium »

Oldgringo wrote:Silliness! Guns notwithstanding, if you are uncomfortable and/or fear for your life, or the life of your companion/s, why would you accept the invitation in the first place?

I agree with Olbill.
I did not realize that you should feel uncomfortable and/ or fear for your life, before you carry anywhere. I carry concealed everywhere because I do not know when that something will happen, if it ever will happen.
People who know me well, know that I carry, Those who don't know me, do not realize I am carrying. Those who feel I am obligated to tell them, should not invite me into their home, it is their obligation to let people know that they can be so easily offended.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Liberty wrote:A wise and venerated sage of this forum once stated that concealed carry is a lot like underwear. It's nobody's business and in polite company it's not a topic for discussion. I don't discuss what I'm carrying nor if I'm carrying with most people any more than I'm apt to discuss boxers briefs or colors of my undergarments. Asking someone's permission to carry into their home just isn't going to be a conversation that I'm willing to get into.

Most people I know probably assume I carry sometimes, or at least once in a while. If they brought up the subject of whether or not I was carrying I would not give an answer directly. If asked not to carry I would likely comply.
Wisdom.

I understand KLB's point, although I don't agree. I guess it boils down to whether or not you think that carry of a firearm is poor ettiquette. For me, it is poor ettiquette if I have been specifically asked not to, and I do it anyway. I always have a very sharp knife concealed in my pocket. Am I supposed to leave that in the car too? If not, why not? That's kind of where I'm coming from with concealed-carrying a firearm in someone else's home.
I hate disarming. My pants have a tendency to fall down when I do. :biggrinjester:
Having your pants fall is poor etiquette in most social circles.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jusme »

Liberty wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Liberty wrote:A wise and venerated sage of this forum once stated that concealed carry is a lot like underwear. It's nobody's business and in polite company it's not a topic for discussion. I don't discuss what I'm carrying nor if I'm carrying with most people any more than I'm apt to discuss boxers briefs or colors of my undergarments. Asking someone's permission to carry into their home just isn't going to be a conversation that I'm willing to get into.

Most people I know probably assume I carry sometimes, or at least once in a while. If they brought up the subject of whether or not I was carrying I would not give an answer directly. If asked not to carry I would likely comply.
Wisdom.

I understand KLB's point, although I don't agree. I guess it boils down to whether or not you think that carry of a firearm is poor ettiquette. For me, it is poor ettiquette if I have been specifically asked not to, and I do it anyway. I always have a very sharp knife concealed in my pocket. Am I supposed to leave that in the car too? If not, why not? That's kind of where I'm coming from with concealed-carrying a firearm in someone else's home.
I hate disarming. My pants have a tendency to fall down when I do. :biggrinjester:
Having your pants fall is poor etiquette in most social circles.
"rlol"

Yeah, it could definitely decrease the chances of being invited back. :smilelol5: :smilelol5:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I guess it all comes down to, what kind of people have we included in our circle of friends over the years? I don't mean that qualitatively; I mean it with regard to whether or not our circle of friends is fairly homogenous to ourselves in terms of values, world view, etc. I wouldn't be upset by someone carrying in my house, because I generally know and trust the people I invite into my house. They share my values and my world view. In the event that I've admitted a stranger for whatever reason, I am armed too, so....

It is worth noting that, for me, the only friends I have that I am aware of who do not share my values and world view, are old, old friends, left over from the days when I didn't hold my current values and world view. The bonds established there long ago were strong enough to survive my evolution beyond their statist viewpoint. It's also worth noting that they (there aren't more than 3 or 4 at most) all live back in California, so carrying into their homes is not something I would be likely to do anyway because I don't carry a gun when I'm in California. If national reciprocity ever passes, I'll have to burn that bridge when I cross it. In that event, I would most likely conceal carry while there anyway, and do a good job of it, and I would most likely carry into their homes. What they don't know won't hurt them.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I guess it all comes down to, what kind of people have we included in our circle of friends over the years? I don't mean that qualitatively; I mean it with regard to whether or not our circle of friends is fairly homogenous to ourselves in terms of values, world view, etc. I wouldn't be upset by someone carrying in my house, because I generally know and trust the people I invite into my house. They share my values and my world view. In the event that I've admitted a stranger for whatever reason, I am armed too, so....
{snip}
That's what I'm talkin' about; IOW, birds of a feather flock together. (My Momma used to tell me that a lot.)

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Legal requirements and etiquette...

I am not a confrontational person by nature, but I do have some strongly held beliefs. Among them is that I am responsible for my own personal protection (and to the degree possible the protection of my loved ones) just as everyone else is.

My cousin, who lives in the area and has his LTC, is married to a woman who 1) is as liberal/progressive as the day is long, perhaps partly due to her being born and raise in Germany, 2) has openly stated to me in polite debate that NO PERSON"S LIFE, regardless of their actions, is more important than that of another person, and 3) believes that guns are a problem to be solved rather than tools. Her worldview is about as foreign to me as any I recall encountering lately. In general, because of her worldview, one would think that my presence (armed) in their home would not be welcome.

I have visited them (armed) without asking or being asked about that status. This was prior to me having a fairly extensive and civil online discussion with her. At the culmination of the discussion, I was struck by some inconsistencies. She knows that I am a firearms instructor and that I train regularly, so she seems comfortable with my life choice to carry presumably because I "seem" more capable/responsible than most. She also is apparently comfortable with her husband carrying (I guess because she knows his character well). Even so, she is adamantly opposed to carry, and guns and the whole concept of self-defense, in general. My mind fails to comprehend the ability to rationalize all this. At any rate, when I again visit, I won't hesitate to go armed and concealed and I won't ask. She knows me well enough to know that I carry practically everywhere.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

I guess I am in the 'don't ask, don't tell' camp...

The only home I have been in that I would even think it MIGHT be an issue is the home of one of the doctors my wife works for. He hosts the company Christmas party every other year. He is a liberal democrat and anti-gun to some extent but It has never been a subject of discussion between he and I personally.

Every year, the employees collect and buy the doctors gifts every Christmas. One of the new doctors asked for a lever 30.30. My wife asked me if their budget could get him one. I saw how much they were going to spend and told her that it was doable. In the end, we gave him a toy lever gun and a gift card to Gander Mountain (that was his fallback if we couldn't get him a gun...lol.) I would have so loved to present him with a lever gun but we decided not to in favor of avoiding a possible stink in a guy's own home.

Do I carry a gun at the Christmas party every year? Yes, I do. Has he ever asked or said anything about it? No. I would not be surprised if he thought or knew I was armed at any given time. Most every one at the practice asks my wife to call me when they have gun questions, so it is well known that I am a 'gun guy'. When I am at the office (which they lease from one of the local hospitals and is invalidly posted due to size,) I am fairly certain everyone assumes I have a gun on me and I have never had anyone even mention it.

Kind of a 'don't start none and there won't be none' kinda thing. If I don't say anything about it, they probably won't either. They can then remain (sometimes consciously I might add) blissfully ignorant. The way I see it, others' ignorance is my bliss a lot of the time...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RogueUSMC wrote:The way I see it, others' ignorance is my bliss a lot of the time...
FOR THE WIN!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

RogueUSMC wrote:I guess I am in the 'don't ask, don't tell' camp...

Kind of a 'don't start none and there won't be none' kinda thing. If I don't say anything about it, they probably won't either. They can then remain (sometimes consciously I might add) blissfully ignorant. The way I see it, others' ignorance is my bliss a lot of the time...
:iagree: :thumbs2:
NRA Life Member

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Yes.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I guess it all comes down to, what kind of people have we included in our circle of friends over the years? I don't mean that qualitatively; I mean it with regard to whether or not our circle of friends is fairly homogenous to ourselves in terms of values, world view, etc. I wouldn't be upset by someone carrying in my house, because I generally know and trust the people I invite into my house. They share my values and my world view. In the event that I've admitted a stranger for whatever reason, I am armed too, so....

It is worth noting that, for me, the only friends I have that I am aware of who do not share my values and world view, are old, old friends, left over from the days when I didn't hold my current values and world view. The bonds established there long ago were strong enough to survive my evolution beyond their statist viewpoint. It's also worth noting that they (there aren't more than 3 or 4 at most) all live back in California, so carrying into their homes is not something I would be likely to do anyway because I don't carry a gun when I'm in California. If national reciprocity ever passes, I'll have to burn that bridge when I cross it. In that event, I would most likely conceal carry while there anyway, and do a good job of it, and I would most likely carry into their homes. What they don't know won't hurt them.
Jerry Brown, the Governor of California, just made it illegal for all California state employees to travel to Texas.

Thousands have fled high taxes and liberal attitudes to come to Texas. Texas gained over half million new residents from other states and California lost 700,000 in 2015.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

jed

Post by jed »

Some of these replies are sounding a little arrogant. If one is going in another's home as an invited guest on a social visit, not as, say a business service call, what gives one the right to carry without the homeowner's knowledge? Does their invite give one this right? This is not a business, it's a private home.

I only carry in someone's house if I know they are ok with it. It's a respect thing for me.

If I worked where I was making home service calls to stranger's homes, that would be a different thing.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

If you invite me, I carry, pretty simple...

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

jed wrote:... as an invited guest on a social visit, not as, say a business service call, ...
I don't understand this distinction. The same Texas law covers both examples.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

jed wrote:Some of these replies are sounding a little arrogant. If one is going in another's home as an invited guest on a social visit, not as, say a business service call, what gives one the right to carry without the homeowner's knowledge? Does their invite give one this right? This is not a business, it's a private home.

I only carry in someone's house if I know they are ok with it. It's a respect thing for me.

If I worked where I was making home service calls to stranger's homes, that would be a different thing.
We will have to agree to disagree.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”