Invited into a neighbor's home. Can I carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Invited into a neighbor's home. Can I carry?

Post by Liberty »

jed wrote:Some of these replies are sounding a little arrogant. If one is going in another's home as an invited guest on a social visit, not as, say a business service call, what gives one the right to carry without the homeowner's knowledge? Does their invite give one this right? This is not a business, it's a private home.
If they invite me they are free to invite me with any restrictions they please. I don't understand why one assume or question what I kind of underwear I wear there as long as it is clean and doesn't smell too bad. My personal protection whether it be a condom my concealed handgun, pepper spray or a pocket knife is my business, not something that is a normal topic up to discussion.
jed wrote: I only carry in someone's house if I know they are ok with it. It's a respect thing for me.

If I worked where I was making home service calls to stranger's homes, that would be a different thing.
I really don't have a lot of respect for people that would restrict my right to protect myself.

I carry IWB and don't like disarming myself to leave it in a car and as I mentioned before my pants fall down without a gun to hold them up. I won't carry into someone's house that has young squirmy huggy kids. But those are my judgements to make. I will not leave my protection choices for others and asking permission would be awkward any way.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

jed wrote:Some of these replies are sounding a little arrogant. If one is going in another's home as an invited guest on a social visit, not as, say a business service call, what gives one the right to carry without the homeowner's knowledge? Does their invite give one this right? This is not a business, it's a private home.

I only carry in someone's house if I know they are ok with it. It's a respect thing for me.

If I worked where I was making home service calls to stranger's homes, that would be a different thing.
Respect cuts both ways. I don't understand why it would be disrespectful to carry without specific permission to do so. Do you ask if your knife is OK? Do you ask if they care whether you're wearing boxers or briefs? Your premise is that your decision whether or not to carry is up for public discussion. MY assumption is that my decision to carry is no more someone else's business than whether I choose to wear boxers or briefs. It's simply not up for discussion. If someone does need to control whether I wear boxers or briefs in their house, my thoughts are that (A) it is personal decision and none of their business, and (B) it is disrespectful to ME for them to assume that they have a say in the matter. That's not arrogance, that's just setting boundaries. The flip side of that is, if someone doesn't want me....or anyone else, for that matter....to carry a concealed gun in their house, then let them post some kind of notification at their door, so that I can be notified not to do so - and I will respect their sign and honor their desire and not carry into their house. That's called treating me like the adult that I am.

That's why 30.06 and 30.07 are beneficial to both people who carry with a license, and property owners alike. The LTC receives notification BEFORE they can violate the property owner's desires, and it avoids unpleasant confrontations between property owners who don't want you to carry in their establishment (or home). Unless the home owner notifies me not to, how am I supposed to know? Most of the people I know would have no problem with it. If someone does have a problem with it, they need to let me know, and I'll respect their wishes. That's not arrogance, that's respectful. But I can't be respectful if I don't know what your desires are. Where I live, if I do not want solicitors to ring my doorbell, I can put up a no-soliciting sign with specific wording at my front door, and people who approach my door to try and sell me something will then receive effective notice, and the law requires them to move on and leave me alone. But unless I post that sign, it is reasonable for the door-to-door salesman to assume that I don't mind having my doorbell rung. Why should a "we prefer that you not carry your gun in our home" sign on the front door be any more or less burdensome to the home owner who is concerned about guns than a "no soliciting" sign?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

If they want to keep me from bringing in my concealed firearm I guess they will post a 30.06 sign.

tbrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tbrown »

jed wrote:what gives one the right to carry without the homeowner's knowledge? Does their invite give one this right?
Yes. Legally it does. Unless the invitation is conditioned on not carrying, the invitation is "effective consent" to come as you are.

Social mores vary, as this discussion shows very clearly. Personally, I don't take part in social engagements where I'm mistrusted so much that I'm required to disarm.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

oljames3
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oljames3 »

Liberty wrote:
If they invite me they are free to invite me with any restrictions they please. I don't understand why one assume or question what I kind of underwear I wear there as long as it is clean and doesn't smell too bad. My personal protection whether it be a condom my concealed handgun, pepper spray or a pocket knife is my business, not something that is a normal topic up to discussion.
jed wrote: I only carry in someone's house if I know they are ok with it. It's a respect thing for me.

I really don't have a lot of respect for people that would restrict my right to protect myself.

I carry IWB and don't like disarming myself to leave it in a car and as I mentioned before my pants fall down without a gun to hold them up. I won't carry into someone's house that has young squirmy huggy kids. But those are my judgements to make. I will not leave my protection choices for others and asking permission would be awkward any way.
:iagree:
With the exception that I carry OWB and openly. My Safariland 7378 ALS detaches easily from my belt so I can leave my holstered pistol in the car if I need to.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

oljames3
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oljames3 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

I only carry in someone's house if I know they are ok with it. It's a respect thing for me.

Respect cuts both ways. I don't understand why it would be disrespectful to carry without specific permission to do so. Do you ask if your knife is OK? Do you ask if they care whether you're wearing boxers or briefs? Your premise is that your decision whether or not to carry is up for public discussion. MY assumption is that my decision to carry is no more someone else's business than whether I choose to wear boxers or briefs. It's simply not up for discussion. If someone does need to control whether I wear boxers or briefs in their house, my thoughts are that (A) it is personal decision and none of their business, and (B) it is disrespectful to ME for them to assume that they have a say in the matter. That's not arrogance, that's just setting boundaries. The flip side of that is, if someone doesn't want me....or anyone else, for that matter....to carry a concealed gun in their house, then let them post some kind of notification at their door, so that I can be notified not to do so - and I will respect their sign and honor their desire and not carry into their house. That's called treating me like the adult that I am.

That's why 30.06 and 30.07 are beneficial to both people who carry with a license, and property owners alike. The LTC receives notification BEFORE they can violate the property owner's desires, and it avoids unpleasant confrontations between property owners who don't want you to carry in their establishment (or home). Unless the home owner notifies me not to, how am I supposed to know? Most of the people I know would have no problem with it. If someone does have a problem with it, they need to let me know, and I'll respect their wishes. That's not arrogance, that's respectful. But I can't be respectful if I don't know what your desires are. Where I live, if I do not want solicitors to ring my doorbell, I can put up a no-soliciting sign with specific wording at my front door, and people who approach my door to try and sell me something will then receive effective notice, and the law requires them to move on and leave me alone. But unless I post that sign, it is reasonable for the door-to-door salesman to assume that I don't mind having my doorbell rung. Why should a "we prefer that you not carry your gun in our home" sign on the front door be any more or less burdensome to the home owner who is concerned about guns than a "no soliciting" sign?
As always, Chris, well said.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”