Invited into a neighbor's home. Can I carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Invited into a neighbor's home. Can I carry?

Post by Oldgringo »

jed wrote:
{snippity doo-dah}

Back to the topic, I have no problem with someone carrying in my house because if they are in my house or on my place, I know them very well.
There it is and conversely, I can't imagine being invited, at my age, to any house where I and my antics, attitudes and foibles are unknown. That said, I'll probably not carry past my vehicle for the sake of MY comfort unless I fear there are scoundrels on the guest list.

nonleg
Posts in topic: 1

Post by nonleg »

If you polled 100 female realtors or designers, etc., that are in people's homes, I'd estimate they carry into the homes of others at ten times the rate of HVAC repair folks, as an example. My wife can't invite them into our house more than once without getting into that discussion. I don't ask, and if someone doesn't ask me, I don't volunteer. I also sit in the driveway at my brother in law's house rather than go in, because they did ask me not to carry. Made Christmas much more bearable now that I don't go :)
Let's not overthink this. Whatever it is.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

nonleg wrote:If you polled 100 female realtors or designers, etc., that are in people's homes, I'd estimate they carry into the homes of others at ten times the rate of HVAC repair folks, as an example. My wife can't invite them into our house more than once without getting into that discussion. I don't ask, and if someone doesn't ask me, I don't volunteer. I also sit in the driveway at my brother in law's house rather than go in, because they did ask me not to carry. Made Christmas much more bearable now that I don't go :)

I'm sorry, you married into a family like that. I got lucky in that, although my inlaws, were dyed in the wool Democrats, they had realized their rights were being eroded, and are now much more right leaning. They still have not gone as far as getting their LTC, they do keep firearms readily available in their home, and are supportive of me carrying in their home, OC or CC.
Some people have to be shown, and I hope your in laws don't have to pay the ultimate price before they see the light. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Ameer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Ameer »

Legally, yes, unless you receive notice otherwise.

On the subject of manners:
"A car is useless in New York, essential everywhere else. The same with good manners." ― Mignon McLaughlin
"Savages we call them, because their manners differ from ours, which we think the perfection of civility; they think the same of theirs." ― Benjamin Franklin
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bblhd672 »

nonleg wrote:If you polled 100 female realtors or designers, etc., that are in people's homes, I'd estimate they carry into the homes of others at ten times the rate of HVAC repair folks, as an example. My wife can't invite them into our house more than once without getting into that discussion. I don't ask, and if someone doesn't ask me, I don't volunteer. I also sit in the driveway at my brother in law's house rather than go in, because they did ask me not to carry. Made Christmas much more bearable now that I don't go :)
My nephew in DFW real estate business says that just about all the realtors he knows, male and female, conceal carry when showing homes.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

OlBill
Posts in topic: 5

Post by OlBill »

Oldgringo wrote:Silliness! Guns notwithstanding, if you are uncomfortable and/or fear for your life, or the life of your companion/s, why would you accept the invitation in the first place?

I agree with Olbill.
Thank you. I like people to know where i stand before there's a misunderstanding.

And concealed is concealed until it isn't. If I invite you to my house and you ask, it's not a problem.

If you presume, you may not be invited back.

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

OlBill wrote: If I invite you to my house and you ask, it's not a problem.

Your post is curious to me.

My opinion only... You should assume anyone/everyone is armed and only invite people you trust into your home!

As for guests, I think you should make your wishes known at the invite if you mind them carrying. Don't forget that anyone coming to your home, has to get there... do you expect them to travel unarmed to your home? or to leave weapon in a vehicle, more susceptible to theft?

The majority of my guests are armed... and honestly, I take some comfort in that.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

flechero wrote:

My opinion only... You should assume anyone/everyone is armed and only invite people you trust into your home!

As for guests, I think you should make your wishes known at the invite if you mind them carrying. Don't forget that anyone coming to your home, has to get there... do you expect them to travel unarmed to your home? or to leave weapon in a vehicle, more susceptible to theft?

The majority of my guests are armed... and honestly, I take some comfort in that.
Neither our friends/hosts nor do we live in areas where our vehicles and persons are subject to invasion, thank Goodness.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

This is what happens when people conflate the meanings of "can" and "may". :lol:

Certainly you CAN carry into a neighbor's home - assuming you are physically able to do so.

However, your neighbor might decide that you MAY NOT carry into his home - no matter your physical ability to do so.

As a general thing though, I carry into the homes of friends and neighbors unless I am specifically told not to. (Nobody has yet told me not to.) If it is the first time, and I don't know how that person feels about it, I'll conceal the gun. They would have no way of knowing unless they asked me if I was carrying, and I don't give them a reason to ask. But for instance, I have open-carried into my LifeGroup leader's home for meetings any number of times. I know that he is a gun owner and both he and his wife have valid LTCs, but they also never (or rarely) carry a gun. I've never asked him if it was OK, and he's never mentioned it to me. I'm pretty certain that if it bothered him, he'd tell me. But when we used to meet at my house, I open carried then too, so it wouldn't have been a surprise to him when I showed up at his house with a gun on my hip. If he had asked me not to do it, I would have probably honored his request.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

KLB

Post by KLB »

warnmar10 wrote:I carry concealed into 5-8 homes every business day. The subject has never come up. I practice don't ask/don't tell.
It sounds to me as though you are entering homes on business matters, not as a social guest. Business relationships and social relationships are different. In social situations, I do not carry into other people's homes unless I have reason to know they would be OK with it. So far, family members are the only people I have known would be OK with it.

My behavior is based not on law but on my perception of etiquette. Others will act differently, which is fine. The law is a baseline for conduct but not necessarily the aspirational limit.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

A wise and venerated sage of this forum once stated that concealed carry is a lot like underwear. It's nobody's business and in polite company it's not a topic for discussion. I don't discuss what I'm carrying nor if I'm carrying with most people any more than I'm apt to discuss boxers briefs or colors of my undergarments. Asking someone's permission to carry into their home just isn't going to be a conversation that I'm willing to get into.

Most people I know probably assume I carry sometimes, or at least once in a while. If they brought up the subject of whether or not I was carrying I would not give an answer directly. If asked not to carry I would likely comply.

I don't carry if there are small kids in the home. Especially clingy ones.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

KLB

Post by KLB »

Liberty wrote:It's nobody's business and in polite company it's not a topic for discussion. I don't discuss what I'm carrying nor if I'm carrying with most people any more than I'm apt to discuss boxers briefs or colors of my undergarments.
I agree that concealed carry should be a matter of, to coin a phrase, "don't ask, don't tell."

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

flechero wrote:

You seem to think I would uninvite them. Not so.

I am simply saying I do not presume.

What if your skills are not up to my standards. For example you come into my house with a $7 Wal-Mart holster?

Or worse yet...

A Glock!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Liberty wrote:A wise and venerated sage of this forum once stated that concealed carry is a lot like underwear. It's nobody's business and in polite company it's not a topic for discussion. I don't discuss what I'm carrying nor if I'm carrying with most people any more than I'm apt to discuss boxers briefs or colors of my undergarments. Asking someone's permission to carry into their home just isn't going to be a conversation that I'm willing to get into.

Most people I know probably assume I carry sometimes, or at least once in a while. If they brought up the subject of whether or not I was carrying I would not give an answer directly. If asked not to carry I would likely comply.
Wisdom.

I understand KLB's point, although I don't agree. I guess it boils down to whether or not you think that carry of a firearm is poor ettiquette. For me, it is poor ettiquette if I have been specifically asked not to, and I do it anyway. I always have a very sharp knife concealed in my pocket. Am I supposed to leave that in the car too? If not, why not? That's kind of where I'm coming from with concealed-carrying a firearm in someone else's home.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

flechero

Post by flechero »

OlBill wrote:
flechero wrote:

You seem to think I would uninvite them. Not so.

I am simply saying I do not presume.

What if your skills are not up to my standards. For example you come into my house with a $7 Wal-Mart holster?

Or worse yet...

A Glock!
Ha! No glock or one size fits all holsters here. :tiphat:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”