Deltapoint Pro on 1911

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Deltapoint Pro on 1911

Post by bblhd672 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:The final factor was cost. I found the Deltapoint for $326 v. about $500 for the RMR.

Chas.
That was a great deal! The only ones I've found "in stock" were $399. I found a couple of places that were in the $326 price range but "out of stock."

You got me thinking about getting my M&P 2.0 milled to accept a RDS.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

bblhd672 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:The final factor was cost. I found the Deltapoint for $326 v. about $500 for the RMR.

Chas.
That was a great deal! The only ones I've found "in stock" were $399. I found a couple of places that were in the $326 price range but "out of stock."

You got me thinking about getting my M&P 2.0 milled to accept a RDS.
Here is where I got it, but now they're up to $399 like the rest of the world. I knew I should have bought two! https://www.universalmania.com/pages/se ... oint%20pro

Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

I was about to take one of my Commanders to my pistolsmith to put a Deltapoint Pro on it. I decided to buy a Springfield Champion instead and have it milled for a DeltaPoint Pro. The bottom line was about $1,300 ($729 + $326 + 219 + shipping) making the SIG P320 RX far more attractive. No, it's not a 1911 and the best P320 trigger doesn't match the worst 1911 trigger, but I can get used to it. Plus, I do like the modular design. I'm sold on the RDS for concealed-carry and the P320 Compact is the right size.

Chas.

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

You shoot a red dot-equipped gun in IDPA? I haven't been following the rules since I stopped shooting IDPA a couple years ago, but wouldn't that force you to shoot in the NFC division? Why not shoot USPSA where you can actually use a red dot in a legal division? A P320 with a dot would be an excellent USPSA Carry Optics gun.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

CleverNickname wrote:You shoot a red dot-equipped gun in IDPA? I haven't been following the rules since I stopped shooting IDPA a couple years ago, but wouldn't that force you to shoot in the NFC division? Why not shoot USPSA where you can actually use a red dot in a legal division? A P320 with a dot would be an excellent USPSA Carry Optics gun.
The latest version of the IDPA rules did away with NFC and provides for Specialty Divisions. Our Club created Carry Optics Pistol (COP) as a regular Specialty Division for our monthly matches. In May, I think we had only three people shooting COP, but comments by shooter indicate a lot more people are going to be using optics. The day will NEVER come when I'll shoot a major match again, so that's not an issue. I and one other PSC Board member ran the Texas State IDPA Championship for six years and that's how I learned to detest major matches!

I shot USPSA for many years before I quit in the early 1990's to start shooting IDPA.

Chas.

Archery1

Post by Archery1 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
C-dub wrote::oops:
From what Charles said about the dot running all over the place I thought he was talking about a laser.

I don't understand how the dot on an RDS will run or dance around. Is it different on a handgun than on a rifle or carbine?
The dot cannot actually be moving more than the front sight on a handgun, so it's a matter of perception. I'm speculating, but I think it's a matter of focusing on the target rather than the front sight. When we focus on the front sight through the rear sight, I don't think we can appreciate the amount of movement of the muzzle. Focusing on the target while superimposing the red dot (triangle in my case) on the target makes it possible to better appreciate muzzle movement. Then again, my theory might be totally wrong!

The only difference between a red dot on a rifle v. pistol in terms of movement is the fact that a shoulder-fired weapon can be held with greater stability. I have red dots on a couple of my AR-15s and the movement of the dot on the target doesn't compare to my 1911. I fired another 200 rds today and I'm greatly reducing the arc of the dot/triangle on the target. The dot is not only faster, it's a great training aid.

Sorry if my post was confusing on this issue.

Chas.
Your theory is spot on. As a USAA archery coach, it's how I explain shooting sight float, why float is important, and why trying to pin the aperture on the bull is counterproductive by encouraging muscle tension. All movement comes from the shooter's muscles, and relaxed muscles are more stable, which in turn requires a relaxed mind. When I began seriously shooting handguns, I had to reverse thinking and learn to focus on pin, front sight only. I had my own theory as to why this worked in light of what I knew about not physically trying to stabilize the float in archery. That rear sight provides a secondary float position, which we learn to manage independent of the float with the bull.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
C-dub wrote::oops:
From what Charles said about the dot running all over the place I thought he was talking about a laser.

I don't understand how the dot on an RDS will run or dance around. Is it different on a handgun than on a rifle or carbine?

Sorry if my post was confusing on this issue.

Chas.
Not confusing at all unless one is guilty of not reading well the entire post where you clearly indicated this was an RDS. And I was guilty of that in this instance.

However, I do appreciate the explanation of the difference. I have considered putting something like that on a handgun, but haven't because I didn't want to do that if I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not. I would probably do like you did and get a new handgun to put it on so I wouldn't alter one that I already have.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”