Recourse against employer who disregards SB 321?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dcaven
Posts in topic: 1

Recourse against employer who disregards SB 321?

Post by dcaven »

What can one do to correct the behavior of an employer who states in the company handbook that weapons are prohibited in locked vehicles in the company parking lot?

rotor

Re: Recourse against employer who disregards SB 321?

Post by rotor »

If you follow the legal route you of course will need to be looking for a new job. On the other hand, how will your employer know what is locked in your car?

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

rotor wrote:If you follow the legal route you of course will need to be looking for a new job. On the other hand, how will your employer know what is locked in your car?
^This^ :mrgreen:

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

dcaven wrote:What can one do to correct the behavior of an employer who states in the company handbook that weapons are prohibited in locked vehicles in the company parking lot?
Anonymously mail the boss a copy of the applicable law?

Otherwise what was said above about how does employer know what is locked in your personal vehicle.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Scott65
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Scott65 »

Not sure about the OP, but some of us are subject to random searches... Makes for some potential high stakes gambling on a daily basis. :mad5

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

Interesting dilemma. My work place posted 30.06 and 30.07 signs after open carry was enacted. I decided to write the CEO a letter after much deliberation and with my wife telling me I should NOT because I could lose my job. I carefully worded it with concern as a citizen, with a bit of legal info and with a bit of info from our "active shooter" learning module I had to complete for work. I felt strongly enough to give my full name as an employee hoping I'd have a dialogue with the CEO. I got a call at work one day from his secretary saying that in no uncertain terms would they take off the 30.06 sign and that they in no uncertain terms were removing the 30.06 signage (yes, she stated it firmly, twice for emphasis). I still have my job and even though all doors are still posted, I look forward to working there for quite some time. In my line of work pretty much all other places are posted too.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 2

Post by twomillenium »

Scott65 wrote:Not sure about the OP, but some of us are subject to random searches... Makes for some potential high stakes gambling on a daily basis. :mad5
If they terminate your employment for that very reason, just think of the backpay and maybe punitive damages you may get. :tiphat:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Sport Coach wrote:secretary saying that in no uncertain terms would they take off the 30.06 sign and that they in no uncertain terms were removing the 30.06 signage
Anybody else confused by this? Is one of those supposed to be '30.07'? :confused5
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

1911 10MM

Post by 1911 10MM »

twomillenium wrote:
Scott65 wrote:Not sure about the OP, but some of us are subject to random searches... Makes for some potential high stakes gambling on a daily basis. :mad5
If they terminate your employment for that very reason, just think of the backpay and maybe punitive damages you may get. :tiphat:
Good luck proving that in an "At Will" state.

Scott65

Post by Scott65 »

You definitely have to calculate the risks vs rewards scenarios. I travel through 2 counties, and 6 municipalities on my way to and from. There have been numerous armed robberies and murders in the general vicinity. I've done the math for myself, that's all I'll say about that...

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Sport Coach wrote:Interesting dilemma. My work place posted 30.06 and 30.07 signs after open carry was enacted. I decided to write the CEO a letter after much deliberation and with my wife telling me I should NOT because I could lose my job. I carefully worded it with concern as a citizen, with a bit of legal info and with a bit of info from our "active shooter" learning module I had to complete for work. I felt strongly enough to give my full name as an employee hoping I'd have a dialogue with the CEO. I got a call at work one day from his secretary saying that in no uncertain terms would they take off the 30.06 sign and that they in no uncertain terms were removing the 30.06 signage (yes, she stated it firmly, twice for emphasis). I still have my job and even though all doors are still posted, I look forward to working there for quite some time. In my line of work pretty much all other places are posted too.
Basically all you accomplished was voicing your opinion.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

hillfighter
Banned

Post by hillfighter »

dcaven wrote:What can one do to correct the behavior of an employer who states in the company handbook that weapons are prohibited in locked vehicles in the company parking lot?
:cup:
"support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:
Sport Coach wrote:secretary saying that in no uncertain terms would they take off the 30.06 sign and that they in no uncertain terms were removing the 30.06 signage
Anybody else confused by this? Is one of those supposed to be '30.07'? :confused5
Yes, sorry. I asked them to take down the 30.07 sign - crazy morning.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

nightmare69 wrote:
Sport Coach wrote:Interesting dilemma. My work place posted 30.06 and 30.07 signs after open carry was enacted. I decided to write the CEO a letter after much deliberation and with my wife telling me I should NOT because I could lose my job. I carefully worded it with concern as a citizen, with a bit of legal info and with a bit of info from our "active shooter" learning module I had to complete for work. I felt strongly enough to give my full name as an employee hoping I'd have a dialogue with the CEO. I got a call at work one day from his secretary saying that in no uncertain terms would they take off the 30.06 sign and that they in no uncertain terms were removing the 30.06 signage (yes, she stated it firmly, twice for emphasis). I still have my job and even though all doors are still posted, I look forward to working there for quite some time. In my line of work pretty much all other places are posted too.
Basically all you accomplished was voicing your opinion.
Correct. But if you don't voice your opinion you've done nothing. I also invited him to a discussion and time at the range for what it was worth. Maybe my opinion is added to another and finally the bigger voice gets heard and changes are made. At this time I was told quite firmly that they had made a final decision to keep all signage.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”