30.06&30.07 on a City government building

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 1

30.06&30.07 on a City government building

Post by E.Marquez »

Some help please before I go back and speak with the Kempner Police chief again.
I had cause to go to the Kempner police station / City Hall and meet with the police chief, a nice guy BTW, Pro2 A, and no issue with concealed carry in general, even in his building (stated verbally, and there in is the issue)

The building which houses the police station off to the left of a main foyer and city offices off the right of a main foyer. One of the city offices is a room used by both a judge once a month for hearings and the city commission one a month to hold hearings.
The main entrance is marked with a 30.06 & 30.07 sign
Kempner signs.jpg
In speaking with the Chief he said "I have no problem with someone with an LTC carrying into the building to speak with the ladies" that was in reference to me asking why the entire building was posited vice just the part of building used for court, or used for city gov meetings while in use.
I suggested that it presented a issue for his citizens in that, I was now by law required to disarm and leave my weapon in my vehicle to come in to the building as the sign is on the out side of main doors.
His concern was restricting CC into the court rooms and "protecting the ladies" But he also admitted criminals would not obey the signs.
I asked if he was aware of a TX AG opinion that addressed this issue specifically, and he responded he had not read or heard of such an opinion that conflicted with how they posted signs.

It was an open, pleasant conversation and he seemed receptive to doing what was "right" under the law.... personal opinion aside that right would be no restriction what so ever on LTC holders, he seem willing to listen to what was legally required.

All that to say I want to get him the appropriate AG opinion to reference the issue.
I think it is Opinion No. KP-0047
Re: The extent to which firearms may be
excluded from buildings that contain courts,
offices utilized by the courts, and other county
officials (RQ-0040-KP) https://texasattorneygeneral.gov/opinio ... kp0047.pdf

Is anyone aware of a more relevant TX AG Opinion or an addition one that is supportive?
I will also provide the Chief a link to the TX AG 30.06 "ruling Letter" page https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/30 ... ng-letters

Respectfully

Erik Marquez
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

warnmar10

Re: 30.06&30.07 on a City government building

Post by warnmar10 »

E.Marquez wrote:...
I will also provide the Chief a link to the TX AG 30.06 "ruling Letter" page https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/30 ... ng-letters ...
The issue must be settled, not a single ruling letter in 2017.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

If the chief is truly concerned about the safety of the ladies he will encourage them to get their LTC's and train them to be proficient with their self defense handguns. Or perhaps he is already restricting some of the ladies who have a LTC from carrying at work.
Either way, by the time the minute passes when those ladies are waiting on the big strong policemen to come protect them one or more could be killed or injured.

At least he was willing to talk about it and hopefully will reconsider the signage.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

The chief is putting "the ladies" in danger by not allowing them to arm and protect themselves, The chief obviously believes that they are vulnerable and yet refuses to allow them the means to protect themselves that the law provides. Does he actually believe that LTC carriers are a threat to the administrative staff?

If they want to use a sign. They can post the one room the municipal judge uses if they want to, instead of the whole building.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

Liberty wrote: If they want to use a sign. They can post the one room the municipal judge uses if they want to, instead of the whole building.
---but it should be posted only when it is in use as a courtroom. Put those signs on portable stands.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

And two years after the passage of the law...nothing. I believe that at it's heart, the Kempner city office building is an "educational institution" dedicated to the learning of young and old alike, therefore it is a felony to carry there. :rules:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Waco1959

Post by Waco1959 »

I didn't know Kempner even had a police department but that explains the stop lights!

Two letters that might have the most impact:

Woodway: Larger building but similar set-up. All signs removed except outside the actual courtroom

McLennan County Annex: Multiple use building with the tax office and other non-court offices in the building. Signs removed from the entrance.

You might also point out how Waco handles the city council meetings. They use part of the convention center (Bosque Theater) and portable 30.07 signs are placed at each entrance before the meeting. Same signs are used for other governmental public meetings.

KLB

Post by KLB »

warnmar10 wrote:The issue must be settled, not a single ruling letter in 2017.
Nothing is ever settled for people who don't like the answer. When I worked in a City Attorney's office, there were certain questions I was asked over and over again by the same people. They didn't like the answer and were hoping for a new one.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”