CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mloamiller
Posts in topic: 1

Dilemma - Car breaks down on way to work

Post by mloamiller »

Here's a situation for you:
Your office is 30.06 and 30.07 posted, so you always leave your gun in your car while at work. One day your car breaks down on the way to work, but you're able to make it to a shop that's within walking distance of your office. No one is at home so they can't come get you or your gun; what do you do with your gun? Leave it in the car while it's in the shop? What if you do or don't have a lockbox in the car? Do you take it to work anyway? Do you miss a day's work to sit at the shop all day?
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

oohrah

Re: Dilemma - Car breaks down on way to work

Post by oohrah »

You have this dilemma because your office is posted. Wouldn't it be prudent to keep a lock-box (cable tied) in your car for just such situations?
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

oohrah wrote:You have this dilemma because your office is posted. Wouldn't it be prudent to keep a lock-box (cable tied) in your car for just such situations?
:iagree:

If your office is posted you should already have a lock box in your car/truck.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I agree on the lockbox in the trunk. My car has tie-down points on either side of the trunk which work great for a cable and also has a little built in bucket on each side. Of course, I also have a valet key that I could leave with the shop so they couldn't even access the trunk at all.

RSX11

Post by RSX11 »

Call Uber or a taxi to take you home first and store the gun safely before proceeding to work.

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lynyrd »

:biggrinjester: Call the boss. Ask him to take you home so you can lock up your gun because of the stupid sign. :totap:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

I won't advise someone to do anything illegal, but I know what I would do.

:evil2:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Lynyrd wrote::biggrinjester: Call the boss. Ask him to take you home so you can lock up your gun because of the stupid sign. :totap:
"rlol"
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

ELB

Post by ELB »

I would regard a lockbox on a cable in a car at a shop to be next to no security at all. A cabled box might discourage some thief in a parking lot who might feel the need to get in and out in a hurry, but if there is a thief in the auto shop who is willing to steal from a customer, where the car is going to sit out of sight all day, a lockbox is a minor inconvenience to him.

I'm with skeathley.
USAF 1982-2005

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lynyrd »

ELB wrote:I would regard a lockbox on a cable in a car at a shop to be next to no security at all. A cabled box might discourage some thief in a parking lot who might feel the need to get in and out in a hurry, but if there is a thief in the auto shop who is willing to steal from a customer, where the car is going to sit out of sight all day, a lockbox is a minor inconvenience to him.

I'm with skeathley.
:iagree: Put a lockbox in my shop and with the tools I have available to me I could have it open in a few seconds. I would NEVER leave a gun at a repair shop. Lock box or not.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

skeathley wrote:I won't advise someone to do anything illegal, but I know what I would do.

:evil2:
Ditto. I will need to remove my laptop case/backpack anyway. :tiphat:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

LimaCharlie3

Post by LimaCharlie3 »

Personally, I'd tell the boss the truth and let him decide if he wants you to be late, not come in at all, or give authorization to bring it in. Maybe lock it in a locker or desk drawer or even let the boss lock it up. I've had a very similar scenario in the past. My boss was 110% by the book company man and the company absolutely prohibited firearms on premises. They had good reason because "premises" was inside the secure side of an airport. However, after 911 my part-time airline job and my Deputy Sheriff Job both became more than full time jobs and I would have to come to the airport job straight from my pistol-packin', sub-machine gun totin' daily assignment. I certainly wasn't gonna leave that stuff in my car. The boss man, with great personal difficulty, allowed me to lock it up in my locker and everybody survived. In my case, company policy was for good cause and also aligned with state law. Ordinarily no person could legally bring a firearm into the secured side of an airport but being a peace officer, I was exempt. If you can portray to your boss that it would be Reasonable and Prudent then I would think the boss would be ok with an exception. "Reasonable and Prudent"... powerful words in the state of Texas!

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Take an Uber home, store the firearm. Take the Uber to work.

Then buy a new Mazda.

See....there's an easy solution for both problems (gun at work & troubled ride). :-)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

I didn't think 30.06 applied to employees.
They can/will fire you for violations of company policy, but I really don't think they can prosecute you for the violation.

On-the-other-hand, when you interview for your next job and they ask you "Why did you leave your previous position?", how will you answer.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advise.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

tomneal wrote: On-the-other-hand, when you interview for your next job and they ask you "Why did you leave your previous position?", how will you answer.
perhaps.....

interviewer: Why did you leave your previous position?
me: My previous employer was inflexible about time lost due to car trouble. :biggrinjester:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”