Question about final deposition saying. Special condition "set aside"

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Mavsman31
Posts in topic: 3

Question about final deposition saying. Special condition "set aside"

Post by Mavsman31 »

My final deposition says judgement "set aside" from 5 years probation on a burglary of a habitation I received in 96. Will this make me eligible on the section 411.171 in the handgun statue...and obviously all the other requirements?

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Question about final deposition saying. Special condition "set aside"

Post by Keith B »

Mavsman31 wrote:My final deposition says judgement "set aside" from 5 years probation on a burglary of a habitation I received in 96. Will this make me eligible on the section 411.171 in the handgun statue...and obviously all the other requirements?
GC §411.171. DEFINITIONS.
In this subchapter:
(4) “Convicted” means an adjudication of guilt or, except as provided in
Section 411.1711, an order of deferred adjudication entered against a
person by a court of competent jurisdiction whether or not the imposition of
the sentence is subsequently probated and the person is discharged from
community supervision. The term does not include an adjudication of guilt or
an order of deferred adjudication that has been subsequently:

(A) expunged;
(B) pardoned under the authority of a state or federal official; or
(C) otherwise vacated, set aside, annulled, invalidated, voided, or sealed
under any state or federal law.
As long as you disclosed it on your application, and included a copy of your final disposition, then if truly 'set aside' then you should be eligible.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Mavsman31

Post by Mavsman31 »

I did disclose the deposition I had the one I had did not say set aside I requested the whole file and there was a special condition page. They disqualified me do to burglary of a habitation being a disqulifer....i have since requested a hearing...and sent in the new document and it was received Friday. This was so old and the only thing ever on my record. Did not know about the perment disqulifer till very recently.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

Mavsman31 wrote:I did disclose the deposition I had the one I had did not say set aside I requested the whole file and there was a special condition page. They disqualified me do to burglary of a habitation being a disqulifer....i have since requested a hearing...and sent in the new document and it was received Friday. This was so old and the only thing ever on my record. Did not know about the perment disqulifer till very recently.
Since they have disqualified you, it will be up to the review board and the new disposition papers as to if they will grant your license. Hopefully the new disposition will show you as clear and they will approve it.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Mavsman31

Post by Mavsman31 »

Keith thank you very much for the info. This has been a serious pain and really hope that is case. Happy 4th everyone.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Post by twomillenium »

Mavsman31 wrote:I did disclose the deposition I had the one I had did not say set aside I requested the whole file and there was a special condition page. They disqualified me do to burglary of a habitation being a disqulifer....i have since requested a hearing...and sent in the new document and it was received Friday. This was so old and the only thing ever on my record. Did not know about the perment disqulifer till very recently.
I did not know that burglary of a habitation was a permanent disqualifier, unless it was a felony and even then it would be the fact it was a felony that would be the permanent disqualifier. I was aware that a domestic violence conviction could be a permanent disqualifier.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Errantlunchbox

Post by Errantlunchbox »

So I'm not sure if this question has been answered before but here we go.

I was on DA and was released early this year from it with my charges dismissed. I do not have a conviction on my record but understand that Texas DPS views DA as one. I know I have to wait 10 years to apply for my LTC here but is there another state I could get my non resident license to carry or conceal that can be used in Texas? A state that doesn't view DA has a conviction?

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Errantlunchbox wrote:So I'm not sure if this question has been answered before but here we go.

I was on DA and was released early this year from it with my charges dismissed. I do not have a conviction on my record but understand that Texas DPS views DA as one. I know I have to wait 10 years to apply for my LTC here but is there another state I could get my non resident license to carry or conceal that can be used in Texas? A state that doesn't view DA has a conviction?
You should start a new thread.
You'll need to be more specific about what you were guilty of that got you deferred adjudication.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”