Disclosure of information on weapons involved in ND's and other mishaps

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rp_photo
Posts in topic: 1

Disclosure of information on weapons involved in ND's and other mishaps

Post by rp_photo »

Whenever incidents like this happen, the make and model of the weapon and whether there were any modifications should be disclosed, which would serve to warn and inform the shooting public.

http://m.chron.com/neighborhood/clevela ... =fb-mobile
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

K.Mooneyham

Re: Disclosure of information on weapons involved in ND's and other mishaps

Post by K.Mooneyham »

So, the man in the story has had two incidents where guns just "went off"? Something quite smelly about the whole thing. Oh, yes, it certainly would be nice to know what sort of firearms were involved and what had been done to them.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

rp_photo wrote:Whenever incidents like this happen, the make and model of the weapon and whether there were any modifications should be disclosed, which would serve to warn and inform the shooting public.

I agree that modifications, if any were involved, I don't know that listing the manufacturer, will do anything, but possibly give an unwarranted reputation, when, especially in the cases involving this story, appear to involve the human element more than an inherent, defect. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

Jusme wrote:
rp_photo wrote:Whenever incidents like this happen, the make and model of the weapon and whether there were any modifications should be disclosed, which would serve to warn and inform the shooting public.

I agree that modifications, if any were involved, I don't know that listing the manufacturer, will do anything, but possibly give an unwarranted reputation, when, especially in the cases involving this story, appear to involve the human element more than an inherent, defect. JMHO
In this case it is obvious the person touched the trigger while he was readjusted the gun in its holster. He admited it. It was clearly his fault. A contributing fact to this incident is about the gun. Of course he should keep his booger finger away. Making the public aware that such incidents occur with some types of guns more often than others is a good thing. There is an added hazzard when folks decide to carry striker fired weapons with no mechanical safety. Awareness is a good thing. A driver who gets killed running a stop sign gets killed because he was negligent in running the red light. But there may be good chance they would still be alive if they wore the seatbelt.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Liberty wrote:
Jusme wrote:

In this case it is obvious the person touched the trigger while he was readjusted the gun in its holster. He admited it. It was clearly his fault. A contributing fact to this incident is about the gun. Of course he should keep his booger finger away. Making the public aware that such incidents occur with some types of guns more often than others is a good thing. There is an added hazzard when folks decide to carry striker fired weapons with no mechanical safety. Awareness is a good thing. A driver who gets killed running a stop sign gets killed because he was negligent in running the red light. But there may be good chance they would still be alive if they wore the seatbelt.
Right, and the fact that he may have been driving a Chevy, is irrelevant.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

K.Mooneyham wrote:So, the man in the story has had two incidents where guns just "went off"? Something quite smelly about the whole thing. Oh, yes, it certainly would be nice to know what sort of firearms were involved and what had been done to them.
In his 40 years of law enforcement as sheriff and a sergeant for the Texas Department of Public Safety, Arthur said he never accidentally discharged his handgun before now or had to shoot at anyone. He says he is extremely remorseful for any injuries his actions caused.
:headscratch
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Pawpaw wrote:
K.Mooneyham wrote:So, the man in the story has had two incidents where guns just "went off"? Something quite smelly about the whole thing. Oh, yes, it certainly would be nice to know what sort of firearms were involved and what had been done to them.
In his 40 years of law enforcement as sheriff and a sergeant for the Texas Department of Public Safety, Arthur said he never accidentally discharged his handgun before now or had to shoot at anyone. He says he is extremely remorseful for any injuries his actions caused.
:headscratch
Apparently, a friend had the ND with his gun. The LEO wasn't with him.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Jusme wrote: Right, and the fact that he may have been driving a Chevy, is irrelevant.
Irrelevant, unless the design or flaw of the so called Chevy contributed to the death.
Liberty''s Blog

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

The incident is the second time a firearm owned by Arthur has accidentally discharged. Several years ago, a Liberty business owner and a friend of Arthur's accidentally shot himself with Arthur's handgun.
I think we all know what the brand is... ;-)

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

OlBill wrote:
The incident is the second time a firearm owned by Arthur has accidentally discharged. Several years ago, a Liberty business owner and a friend of Arthur's accidentally shot himself with Arthur's handgun.
I think we all know what the brand is... ;-)

Hey, we don't know if it was Glock or.... :grumble ooops...did I just slip... :shock:

flechero

Post by flechero »

"We were at the pavilion and I was wearing my concealed handgun. It was shifting around a little bit so I stepped out into the parking lot to readjust," Arthur said.

While making adjustments, Arthur says he accidentally hit the trigger
Sounds like the gun did EXACTLY what it was designed to do. His carry method or holster may not be up to snuff... And maybe next time he won't go adjust it right next to a little boy and his dad. :banghead:

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

I remember that dude from when he was a police man.

NNT

Post by NNT »

it did what it was designed to.
:iagree:

If one brand has more issues of people pulling the trigger, maybe it says more about who buys that brand than the brand itself?

patterson

Post by patterson »

Some people say they choose certain firearms that are prone to ND because of the easy manual of arms seems like some them needto choose safer firearms and be trained on how to use them if the manual of arms on those types are too difficult for them

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I've had many firearms discharge when no safeties were engaged, there was a round in the chamber, and I pulled the trigger. This has happened to me with guns manufactured by Glock, CZ, Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Walther, Sphinx, Calico, Bushmaster, Colt, Dan Wesson, Les Baer, Nighthawk, Mossberg, Weatherby, Kel-Tec, Taurus, Rossi, Kahr, and others.

I have never had a firearm discharge while a safety was engaged, while there was no round in the chamber, and when I did not pull the trigger.

I agree that it would be nice to know the gun make and model and if any mods were done to the gun if the gun fired while safeties were engaged, without the trigger being pulled, or if there was no round in the chamber. But I believe there is zero benefit to knowing that which gun model functioned as it was designed by firing when the trigger was pulled on a chambered round with all safeties disengaged. It would be more informative to know the age, sex, race, and occupation of the humans who actually screwed up in these situations. After all, the human was faulty, not the gun.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”