Del Mar campus carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
roadkill
Posts in topic: 1

Del Mar campus carry

Post by roadkill »

Del Mar has released their campus carry policy. http://dmc122011.delmar.edu/policymanua ... .html#b101

Everything looks good with a few exceptions. They are limiting the child care with the rationale of it being a school. All activity courses and events (sports) including intramural sports then later in their guidelines they say you can carry at an intramural game. :headscratch College owned vehicles are off limits unless written permission from pres.
And the big kicker:
13. Other areas where handguns are not permitted:
A. Where alcohol is served at events held on DMC property.
B. Any DMC property that is rented on a temporary basis by outside entities.
C. Any locations where the college, as directed or approved by the president as necessary for campus safety, gives effective notice on a temporary basis pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code. For this rule, the term “owner of the property” in Section 30.06(b), Penal Code, means the president of the college. No college employee is “someone with apparent authority to act for the owner” for purposes of Section 30.06(b), Penal Code. All notices under Section 30.06, Penal Code, will be institutional notice, conform to Sections 46.03 and 46.035, Penal Code, and apply equally to all handgun license holders.

Not sure how leasing a building (thinking auditorium but could be others) allows them to prohibit carry. And the necessary for campus safety seems to be a blanket excuse IMO to post.
Any opinions on if they are inline with the law?

Bruin98
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Del Mar campus carry

Post by Bruin98 »

Looks similar to the community college I work at.

As far as your C, it somewhat resembles our disciplinary hearing ban. Those can be in a wide variety of rooms that aren't normally posted, but should they need to be used for logistical reasons, it sounds like a temp sign will go up.

I toured our campus today. I saw a sign in the rooms the high school uses for high school classes for our dual credit students, I saw a sign outside the clinic, a sign outside the counseling office (not schedule/guidance counselors), the day care, and I've heard the science labs are posted but that building was too far for me to walk. I also hear our police academy building is posted, but I didn't go there either.

We are also told we can't carry in a polling place. They set up in the main lobby of the main building. My question is can I still carry on the second Tuesday in November, or any other election date, as long as I enter the backside of the building? My class is on the backside of the main building and it can easily be accessed without walking through the "polling location." That said, the polling location is set up in the building my class is in. Is the whole building off limits or just the lobby?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”