UCW in a 51% location

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
nimravus01
Posts in topic: 5

UCW in a 51% location

Post by nimravus01 »

I've just been made privy to a case of UCW in a 51% location by license holder in my area. This happened today. The preliminary info is that the defendant is a member of a certain fraternal organization. This organization owns and operates a lodge that is licenced by the TABC as a 51% location. The defendant (and probably a lot of other members of this lodge) regularly carries his pistol on the premises. He and another member got into a verbal altercation. Not a physical one. I don't know what the altercation was about, but, the other guy knew that the defendant carries his pistol and called the cops. Now the defendant is at the jail for felony UCW and has a $30,000 bond set. That's all the info I have at the moment. I will keep track of the case and follow up when more info becomes available.

Moral of the story: 1. Don't carry into 51% place even if it is a member's only lodge; 2. Be careful who you let know that you are carrying because they can use that against you; 3. Don't get into fights with people while you are carrying, see point #2.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Re: UCW in a 51% location

Post by twomillenium »

I can think of a Forrest Gump quote that applies to this story.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

That's pretty low. I wonder how much longer that guy will be a member of that fraternal order. :totap:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

nimravus01 wrote:Don't carry into 51% place.
If the state has entrusted you with a CHL/LTC, obey the laws about where you can legally carry. :nono: The location/owner/licensee and whether or not anyone else is breaking the law is irrelevant. As CHL/LTC holders, we are to be examples of lawful behavior when carrying.

This guy (or guys if there were more than one CHL/LTC holder illegally carrying in the lodge) has beaned our community with an inside fastball. :banghead:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
nimravus01

Post by nimravus01 »

According to the jail that he is in, the charge is PC 46.02 (c)/ Unlawful carrying weapon on alcohol premises. Third degree felony.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

nimravus01 wrote:According to the jail that he is in, the charge is PC 46.02 (c)/ Unlawful carrying weapon on alcohol premises. Third degree felony.
Thank you for the post. I will be very interested in the outcome of this case.
NRA Endowment Member

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

WildBill wrote:
nimravus01 wrote:According to the jail that he is in, the charge is PC 46.02 (c)/ Unlawful carrying weapon on alcohol premises. Third degree felony.

If he has a LTC, they will no doubt amend that to 46.035b-1...which is still a felony. I wonder if there was a properly posted 51% sign. If not he will have a Defense to raise.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

This story is sad on so many levels.

He ignored the rules. :nono: :rules:
The person he was arguing with used the rules to cause him harm. :grumble
He made us all look bad as if any LTC holder might ignore the rules. :mad5
If he gets convicted, he will then be a felon with the associated loss of privileges. :cryin
I doubt the subject of the argument was worthy of this kind of consequences. :headscratch
Alcohol was likely involved. :nono:

Follow the rules people! :deadhorse:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

ScottDLS wrote:
WildBill wrote:

If he has a LTC, they will no doubt amend that to 46.035b-1...which is still a felony. I wonder if there was a properly posted 51% sign. If not he will have a Defense to raise.
It'll be an uphill battle even if the location was improperly posted or wasn't posted at all. The charge isn't for walking past a 51% sign, it's for being in possession of a handgun in a 51% location.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

TexasCajun wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
WildBill wrote:

It'll be an uphill battle even if the location was improperly posted or wasn't posted at all. The charge isn't for walking past a 51% sign, it's for being in possession of a handgun in a 51% location.
if the location was not properly posted he has a defense to prosecution in 46.035(k) which reads "It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (b)(1) that the actor was not given effective notice under Section 411.204, Government Code."
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

G.A. Heath wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
WildBill wrote:

if the location was not properly posted he has a defense to prosecution in 46.035(k) which reads "It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (b)(1) that the actor was not given effective notice under Section 411.204, Government Code."
I wonder if the person who called the police told the other person that he was going to report him.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
nimravus01

Post by nimravus01 »

ScottDLS wrote: If he has a LTC, they will no doubt amend that to 46.035b-1...which is still a felony. I wonder if there was a properly posted 51% sign. If not he will have a Defense to raise.
I've been there before. I'm pretty sure it's properly posted. I might have to swing by there and double check. Either way, it's pretty clearly a bar.

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

Sounds to me that the individual felt that the rules and laws did not apply to him and very well may pay the prive for not following them. One thing that is clearly obvious is that the person who reported him should never be trusted and will do anything to win.....
Salty1

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

bblhd672 wrote:
nimravus01 wrote:Don't carry into 51% place.
If the state has entrusted you with a CHL/LTC, obey the laws about where you can legally carry. :nono: The location/owner/licensee and whether or not anyone else is breaking the law is irrelevant. As CHL/LTC holders, we are to be examples of lawful behavior when carrying.

This guy (or guys if there were more than one CHL/LTC holder illegally carrying in the lodge) has beaned our community with an inside fastball. :banghead:
Shame on him for not following the rules. Shame on us for thinking the state has "entrusted us" with the God given right to defend, when is reaffirmed by the 2A. Licensing= when someone takes your rights an then sells them back to you. Carry in bars shouldn't be illegal, (IMHO) carrying while drinking shouldn't be illegal. If you commit a crime while doing either of the two it should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

ScottDLS wrote:
WildBill wrote:

I agree. People miss the fact that 46.15 states that 46.02 does not apply to a person that is licensed to carry a handgun.
Sec. 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY.
(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:
(6) is carrying:
(A) a license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a handgun; and
(B) a handgun:
(i) in a concealed manner; or
(ii) in a shoulder or belt holster;
In this case, 46.035 would kick in. HOWEVER, he could have an out IF he met the conditions of 46.15 here
(7) holds an alcoholic beverage permit or license or is an employee of a holder of an alcoholic beverage permit or license if the person is supervising the operation of the permitted or licensed premises;
(A) on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted;
As a member of the lodge, if he was tending bar or one of the people in control of dispensing liquor at the lodge, then he may have a defense.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”